12 month MOT
6 Month warranty

And £8,000 UNDER BUDGET

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
IT's that time of year-

got a Peugeot dealer near you

They sell out all the Avis ex rental cars at this time of year most are sold on mileage only bought mine as a 10 month old vehicle over 10K less than the price of new.

308SW 2l diesel (Blue so only £30 a year road tax) it's an auto box and I still average 45 to the gallon and I do either short local journeys or high speed motorways/dual carriageways

Flat load area so easy to get everything in and out loads of room for clubs etc and even more if you flat fold the rear passenger seats

Do not go for the standard hatchback you have to have one put one seat down to get clubs in the back.

All the usual bits of electronic kit you get in a modern high spec car.

I might have gone for the Skoda Octavia but found this more comfortable and easier to get in and out of.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dont knock it......mine will take the C130 with all the clubs still in it (including driver), the Golfstream Revolution trolley, battery, shoe bag and water bottle and still close the hatch easily with the parcel shelf in place so the clubs are completely out of view...even if I didnt have privacy glass.
Size of boot is a tricky one to find on most reasonably sized cars, especially if you dont want to have to start dropping seats down or removing the driver.

The Barge I had previously (Skoda Superb mk1) would swallow all my kit and a second set easy, but I wanted something slightly smaller this time but still able to take my kit invisibily:)

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
So many questions need to be answered before you can make a choice!

What type of driving......mainly city or urban?
How many miles a year?
New or used? You can get a PCP on a used car. £25k budget would get you a very nice nearly new Audi/BMW/Merc.
Any preference between petrol/diesel/hybrid/electric?

Mix of urban / motorway. Day to day is round Edinburgh but regular trips over to the weege and further afield for golf.
Mileage is circa 10K/year, probably less as I don’t use it to commute to work these days
Edging towards neatly new
Probably petrol, could maybe be persuaded otherwise but not electric
£25k is max to not rule out good options but I hate spending money so hopefully not going that high

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mix of urban / motorway. Day to day is round Edinburgh but regular trips over to the weege and further afield for golf.
Mileage is circa 10K/year, probably less as I don’t use it to commute to work these days
£25k is max to not rule out good options but I hate spending money so hopefully not going that high

On that mileage, petrol is the logical choice. Petrol also has that feeling of a bit of future proofing which isn't necessarily so with diesel.

My car is relatively new still, but when I come to replace it in 5 or 6 years time, I think I will go for a petrol / electric hybrid.

Where do you park? Would you be able to accommodate a plug in hybrid?

If so, I'd think about something like this:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...112109?make=VOLKSWAGEN&model=PASSAT&logcode=p

Last edited:

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What is it? 2 series?

Looks like the BMW x3 to me- may be wrong though!

I have a golf r and the boot space is tiny so don't get one of them.

Hired a Focus estate 1.6 diesel in Portugal as a hire car for a golf trip and was actually pretty impressed with the boot space. Fitted our cases and golf bags in pretty easily. Little bit of poke to it and really easy to drive.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yeah I think I would probably go with petrol although some of the modern diesels give excellent performance. A nearly new Audi A4 estate is within budget, very nice car to drive and has a bit of class about it too. Likewise a BMW 3 series estate although I don't think the boot is quite as big. Not sure what the boot size is like on the current Golf, I've had a couple in the past and could fit everything in but didn't leave much room for anything else.
Or thinking outside the box, the Mini comes in several different guises and the biggest one is about the same size as a Focus inside. Fun car to drive, plenty of engines and trim levels to choose from and German reliability.

edit: Just seen coffey's post above!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
“Not electric.”

How about a hybrid? No need to plug it in, it charges itself when you’re driving. If you do consider a hybrid do get rid before the battery bank reaches end of life.... about 8 years on average mileage. A replacement battery bank runs to several thousand.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
“Not electric.”

How about a hybrid? No need to plug it in, it charges itself when you’re driving. If you do consider a hybrid do get rid before the battery bank reaches end of life.... about 8 years on average mileage. A replacement battery bank runs to several thousand.

That in itself is enough to put me off!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That in itself is enough to put me off!

Not that bad tbh, I have a hybrid (selling it tomorrow. Not cuz it’s a hybrid just need bigger car) anyways it’s £1500 to replace the battery however if I service it with Toyota I get a hybrid battery warranty that lasts 11 years total

Also once the battery goes it’s mpg just goes to a normal petrol car rather than making the car useless

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not that bad tbh, I have a hybrid (selling it tomorrow. Not cuz it’s a hybrid just need bigger car) anyways it’s £1500 to replace the battery however if I service it with Toyota I get a hybrid battery warranty that lasts 11 years total

Also once the battery goes it’s mpg just goes to a normal petrol car rather than making the car useless

Quick add to this the auris is 6 and a half years old. 75000 miles. Never had a problem with it

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surprised no one has mentioned the BMW 330d or 335d Touring.

Boot is big enough for clubs and loads of other junk plus the 335d has a 0-62 sprint of 4.9 secs. Mine is still returning 42.2mpg.
330d is still north of 250BHP with torque for days, so quick and roomy.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Surprised no one has mentioned the BMW 330d or 335d Touring.

Boot is big enough for clubs and loads of other junk plus the 335d has a 0-62 sprint of 4.9 secs. Mine is still returning 42.2mpg.
330d is still north of 250BHP with torque for days, so quick and roomy.

I have driven diesels for years, but my next car will be petrol. You just dont know where is going to ban diesels next.