Sex discrimination in golf

Ssshank

Visit site
I think they should have made 36 the maximum. Two shots a hole is plenty - remember that that gives you a point for triple bogey, which is fine. I don't agree that someone at 54 hcap level shouldn't be on the course - in that respect, only pace of play and etiquette really matters rather than ability. But with regards to pace of play, I'm not sure if more people putting out for quad bogeys really helps. By all means let everyone play but I think 36 is a good starting point and something to aim at if you're not there already.

Not sure how this relates to sex discrimination but anyway.

I'm not bothered what someone's handicap is as long they aren't slow/ have decent etiquette.

I've played scratch matches against + handicaps and it has been unbearable and I've played with 30+ and loved every minute of it.

I think for comps it should be capped at 20 to win prizes, although those that are higher can enter for handicap purposes.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't understand? Why would you not keep score, what's the point of playing?
The only time I mark a card is in a comp.
I just try different shots etc when not competing.
A brand new player first game has enough to think about than marking a card imo.
But we’re all different.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only time I mark a card is in a comp.
I just try different shots etc when not competing.
A brand new player first game has enough to think about than marking a card imo.
But we’re all different.
I can't understand that, personally. If I'm not keeping score then I'm not really play the game. Would be like meeting someone for a game of tennis and just batting the ball back and forth. Or a football match where none of the goals count and nobody wins. Pointless. Even if I'm just titting about on my own and practising I still count what my score is with my main golf ball. I dunno, it's just that the idea of golf is getting it in the hole in the fewest shots you can, and if you don't know how many shots, then you're not really playing golf? Don't think I've ever not counted my score. I've gave up counting the score half way through, that's different. :LOL:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can't understand that, personally. If I'm not keeping score then I'm not really play the game. Would be like meeting someone for a game of tennis and just batting the ball back and forth. Or a football match where none of the goals count and nobody wins. Pointless. Even if I'm just titting about on my own and practising I still count what my score is with my main golf ball. I dunno, it's just that the idea of golf is getting it in the hole in the fewest shots you can, and if you don't know how many shots, then you're not really playing golf? Don't think I've ever not counted my score. I've gave up counting the score half way through, that's different. :LOL:
Most of the time in winter I don’t even take my putter .
Especially when greens are tined slit etc .
I like to play two balls ,one fade one draw it’s just practicing while having a walk.

sunshine

Visit site
f you need a 54 handicap you shouldn’t be on a golf course is also true, I was better than that when I was 7, any adult who needs 54 strokes needs a new hobby

Controversial statement but I agree. 54 handicap means the player has the potential to shoot 126, but is probably going to score higher most of the time.

There is no shame in being a complete beginner and hacking it around in 130+, but you're probably better off on a shorter course or pitch and putt and work up to a full course. Children don't play football on a full size pitch, novice skiers don't start off on black runs.

D

Deleted member 18588

But you aren't "really playing golf" if you are playing more than one ball but only keeping score with your "main ball".

Surely there is only any real point in keeping a score if you are strictly adhering to the Rules of Golf i.e. no gimmes, mulligans or practising on the course, thereby replicating competition conditions.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
But you aren't "really playing golf" if you are playing more than one ball but only keeping score with your "main ball".

Surely there is only any real point in keeping a score if you are strictly adhering to the Rules of Golf i.e. no gimmes, mulligans or practising on the course, thereby replicating competition conditions.

Also, golf becomes very one dimensional, when all you do is keep score. I like to try diffrrent approaches to holes, play different shots, that may be are not the % choice. Take on silly shots around trees, etc. It's fun, and you never know if you can pull it off unless you try.
I think this will make me a better golfer long term, than playing every round as if it is a medal.

D

Deleted member 18588

Also, golf becomes very one dimensional, when all you do is keep score. I like to try diffrrent approaches to holes, play different shots, that may be are not the % choice. Take on silly shots around trees, etc. It's fun, and you never know if you can pull it off unless you try.
I think this will make me a better golfer long term, than playing every round as if it is a medal.
I agree although having now played the game for 50 years I think I have rather given up on the idea of it improving my golf long term ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I just can't not keep score. If I didn't I'd be perennially wondering what my score would have been, and that's what would spoil it. It's a measure of how well I play. If I felt I played well but hadn't kept score, I'd be annoyed that I could have broken 80 or something but wouldn't know for sure. I just have to know these things. :LOL:

Swango1980

Visit site
Controversial statement but I agree. 54 handicap means the player has the potential to shoot 126, but is probably going to score higher most of the time.

There is no shame in being a complete beginner and hacking it around in 130+, but you're probably better off on a shorter course or pitch and putt and work up to a full course. Children don't play football on a full size pitch, novice skiers don't start off on black runs.
I think most are missing the fact that it is no longer a 54 handicap limit, it is a 54 Index Limit. At a bog standard course with slope 130, this gives a course handicap of 62. At a course with a high slope of 150, a course handicap of 72. So, at that hard course, I guess you are looking at a potential round of 144 (but probably higher with the odd bad hole worse than nett double bogey, and a lot worse on bad days)

However, I still have no objection to the handicap limit. In my experience, even the golfers with the least quality at the club (who play in comps) have handicap index values of around mid 30's. They do lack a lot of quality, but none of them are particularly slow. The slowest golfers are usually some of the lower handicappers or more competitive players, who have very slow routines. It would be interesting to know how many golfers genuinely have a 54 index, and get peoples experience on them. I reckon they'd be so bad (based on the scores above), I doubt playing in competitions would be that pleasurable for them anyway. However, the fact the handicap goes up to 54 at least gives them an option to quietly play socially, submit scores, and gauge what level they are at. When there was an old limit of 28.0, it basically ignored the fact there are plenty of people that simply cannot get to that level, or at least not near that level yet. 54 provides such a high limit, that it gives poorer ability golfers a handicap that realistically reflects their ability and they can then have targets for improvement, and see their progress. I guess if 54 indexers DID enter competitions, and it was causing a serious problem with slow play, then that is when the club need to think about entry requirements.

D

Deleted member 18588

I just can't not keep score. If I didn't I'd be perennially wondering what my score would have been, and that's what would spoil it. It's a measure of how well I play. If I felt I played well but hadn't kept score, I'd be annoyed that I could have broken 80 or something but wouldn't know for sure. I just have to know these things. :LOL:
Fair enough but my point is that, to me, score is only relevant if it is achieved under full rules not when occasionally playing more than one ball or practising.

After all, if lowering handicap is the measure of ability that can only be achieved by playing strictly to the rules.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fair enough but my point is that, to me, score is only relevant if it is achieved under full rules not when occasionally playing more than one ball or practising.

After all, if lowering handicap is the measure of ability that can only be achieved by playing strictly to the rules.
Obviously a competition score is worth more in terms of achievement, but knowing my score on a friendly round still has merit. It's not like we are cheating ten shots off our scores every time. We're not overly generous with gimmes (we've all seen them missed), and we don't typically give mulligans, unless it's my 30 handicap mate who's just bobbled on behind him off the first tee or something.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Obviously a competition score is worth more in terms of achievement, but knowing my score on a friendly round still has merit. It's not like we are cheating ten shots off our scores every time. We're not overly generous with gimmes (we've all seen them missed), and we don't typically give mulligans, unless it's my 30 handicap mate who's just bobbled on behind him off the first tee or something.

Im with you here mate - I record my score (on my watch mostly) for every round that I play. Always want to know what I scored, stableford and strokes.

D

Deleted member 18588

Im with you here mate - I record my score (on my watch mostly) for every round that I play. Always want to know what I scored, stableford and strokes.
So why not submit a supplementary if your objective is to improve.

I don’t need to keep a score to know if I am striking the ball well but, to me, playing well can only be measured under competition conditions.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
So why not submit a supplementary if your objective is to improve.

I don’t need to keep a score to know if I am striking the ball well but, to me, playing well can only be measured under competition conditions.

I do submit supplementary scores. We follow comp rules when we play, anything other than that causes arguments :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 18588

I do submit supplementary scores. We follow comp rules when we play, anything other than that causes arguments :ROFLMAO:
Comp rules yes but not comp conditions as there is not the same pressure of having to submit a score at the end of the round.