Discrimination

Ron McDonnell

Visit site
In my view it is not discriminatory as they are treating everyone the same. If you were granted permission to drive closer then others could claim they were being treated differently and therefore being discriminated against.
But as others say, tricky for the club to deal with.
It's not tricky, there is a precedent.

Ron McDonnell

Visit site
"Care of the course" has been often the given reason for banning trolleys and buggies in inclement weather - E.G. argue that any damage on he course usually rights itself when the weather improves in springtime. No one is suggesting that it's ok to drive on to greens or tee boxes and this would not normally be allowed on most courses. Discrimination laws doesn't say that a golfer can drive where they like, this has to be a reasonable decision by the Club and the more informed clubs have a statement available to inform members who drive buggies, or use trolleys, what they are allowed to do, or not do.

Most of my posts are to let people know that golf clubs just can't say that you can only play if you carry and ignoring the discrimination laws
According to GOLF AUSTRALIA golf is an all inclusive sport.

Ron McDonnell

Visit site
Whilst I sympathise with the op, the rule is clearly in place to protect the course for the majority.
In certain circumstances rules can be relaxed & exceptions made to aid others but not at the expense of the majority.
Cold thinking. Why should the majority be looked after all the time.

Ron McDonnell

Visit site
I should think that a club should care for its members more than its course--or at least as much.
Obviously not in the case above.

I play cards in the clubhouse on "cart path only" days.
There are plenty of dry days to play golf.
I am in Queensland Australia and our course is on a solid foundation. It's just, "you can't do it and that's that". It depends who you are at our club.

Ron McDonnell

Visit site
I'm wondering where Ron is as this was posted overnight uk time.

Local law and ground conditions will dictate what is relevant here.

Celtic Manor doesn't allow buggies off the paths as the terrain makes that unsafe. Same rule for everyone.

But, if it is safe and will not damage the course, I've seen several courses where exceptions are made on age/medical grounds to standard rules.

Is an appeal possible?
They are too arrogant for that. I might need a lawyer!

Ron McDonnell

Visit site
"Care of the course" has been often the given reason for banning trolleys and buggies in inclement weather - E.G. argue that any damage on he course usually rights itself when the weather improves in springtime. No one is suggesting that it's ok to drive on to greens or tee boxes and this would not normally be allowed on most courses. Discrimination laws doesn't say that a golfer can drive where they like, this has to be a reasonable decision by the Club and the more informed clubs have a statement available to inform members who drive buggies, or use trolleys, what they are allowed to do, or not do.

Most of my posts are to let people know that golf clubs just can't say that you can only play if you carry and ignoring the discrimination laws
I don't want to drive on the greens or the tees, I want to drive to the 10 metre mark around the greens. I am not so stupid to drive on the greens or tees. There is a precedent. It really does matter who you are at my club or maybe I don't drink enough beer and hang around the bar enough.

RichA

Visit site
Bit strange to request the advice from a country the other side of the world.
World Wide Web innit - not that strange. Ron claims to be elderly and is seeking fairly targeted advice. Not that strange if the workings of the forum's OS aren't second nature to him after half a dozen posts.
For what it's worth @Ron McDonnell we aren't all without empathy like a couple of the posters. Speak to the club. What you're requesting isn't outlandish and clubs should be making exceptions to keep people playing when all that's needed is a tiny adjustment and a little understanding. I suspect the majority would actually be supportive - they just aren't as loud as the objectors.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I work on a lot of golf courses and most of the restrictions in the UK come down to soft turf.
Greens here mainly run from back to front ,so most of the excess water runs off the front of the greens.
This makes the soil soft and can easily be rutted by buggies.

But I imagine this is not the case in Australia.?
Quite the opposite is it lack of water and to much sun 😳
So what is the reason for the lines if not for course preservation ?