Discrimination

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have some sympathy for the Gentlemen, but lets be honest everything has to come to an end in what we do and I can see the arguement that probably careless use of buggies by some has ruined the use for all.
What would happen if the club lost all its buggies, what would the OP do then?

Mandofred

Visit site
Yes it is a need, my doctors want me to keep playing. if there weren't 400 people on the waiting list it would be a different matter. My handicap is still 15.
You do not NEED to play golf, you WANT to keep playing golf. You could get exercise in all kinds of other ways. But....what the heck, take the golf course to court if you want.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Having had a fantastic couple of weeks in Oz/Queensland. One thing I learned was Aussies don’t mince there words. I suspect the ones that are stopping you from playing are ignorant, or don’t understand the needs of the elderly and medically limited golfers. Or both. Personally I would be tempted to move clubs.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having had a fantastic couple of weeks in Oz/Queensland. One thing I learned was Aussies don’t mince there words. I suspect the ones that are stopping you from playing are ignorant, or don’t understand the needs of the elderly and medically limited golfers. Or both. Personally I would be tempted to move clubs.
Next you'll be suggesting the ground be levelled and bunkers filled so those you mention are able to traverse the ground without slipping or struggling on the uneven surface.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

He isn’t being stopped from playing

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Next you'll be suggesting the ground be levelled and bunkers filled so those you mention are able to traverse the ground without slipping or struggling on the uneven surface.
Not really, one person in a buggy is hardly going to rip up a course. Ave seen more damage on greens with pitch marks not repaired, divots not replaced on fairways. The guy has gone to the trouble of going to his drs to get a bona fida reason. 👍

Ron McDonnell

Visit site
I am not replying to my own posts. Maybe I made a mistake.

I have some sympathy for the Gentlemen, but lets be honest everything has to come to an end in what we do and I can see the arguement that probably careless use of buggies by some has ruined the use for all.
What would happen if the club lost all its buggies, what would the OP do then?
Obviously you people don’t understand where I am coming from. I have been playing since I was 15 years old and still play off 15 and hit my drives 210 mitres and I have been a club captain. I know all about course preservation and thee blue lines are sometimes 30 meters from the front of the green straight across the fairway with a sign carts must stay on the path until the next tee. It always everywhere I have played, stay 10 metres from the green. This Captain we have had for two years has an ego bigger than the clubhouse. Our course now has more signs and lines than our Bruce Highway. He has to go. I have won 2 Club Championships, 2 District Championships, 4 holes in one, one on a 284 yard par 4 and an Albatros on a par 5.
An old friend and playing partner was allowed to drive up to the side of tees and greens because of a foot problem. I don’t want that.much. If allowed, I still have a lot of golf left in me. You POMS do think funny.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Obviously you people don’t understand where I am coming from. I have been playing since I was 15 years old and still play off 15 and hit my drives 210 mitres and I have been a club captain. I know all about course preservation and thee blue lines are sometimes 30 meters from the front of the green straight across the fairway with a sign carts must stay on the path until the next tee. It always everywhere I have played, stay 10 metres from the green. This Captain we have had for two years has an ego bigger than the clubhouse. Our course now has more signs and lines than our Bruce Highway. He has to go. I have won 2 Club Championships, 2 District Championships, 4 holes in one, one on a 284 yard par 4 and an Albatros on a par 5.
An old friend and playing partner was allowed to drive up to the side of tees and greens because of a foot problem. I don’t want that.much. If allowed, I still have a lot of golf left in me. You POMS do think funny.
Ahhhh , get it now.
You come here and expect everyone to agree with you?
How long you have been playing is irrelevant. I'm afraid to say the "entitled society" is very evident.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
There is definitely at least one person on this thread that doesn't understand where others are coming from.

Burnsey

Visit site
Let us know the club and we can start a petition for you. Which one should we start with?

Get Ron past the blue line, or Remove the club captain?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Surprised the committee didn’t give an exemption following the submission of the doctor’s letter but, equally, maybe the state of the green approaches necessitated a “no.” We only know one side of the argument.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Sorry to say it, but this sounds not like an issue relating to potential discrimination, but a petty clash of egos. A club captain who has, according to the OP at least, brought in a set of draconian rules. And a member who seeks to justify non-compliance by setting out how many titles he has won, how many holes in one achieved and has even thrown an albatross into the mix in the hope that may garner opinion in his favour.

I apologise to the OP if that sounds harsh, but no amount of willy waving makes a jot of difference to the original issue - that being that you think you should be allowed to drive a buggy within 30 yards of a green, and your club say you can’t. And I may have missed it in all the back and forth, but at no time do I recall you telling us WHY the club have this rule in place. Have you even asked them?

If I was a club manager, head greenkeeper or club captain invoking this 30 metre rule, I would care not one jot how many club or district championships you have won, or how far you can still hit driver. None of that has any relevance whatsoever to the issue at hand.

Have you at any point sat down and had a sensible conversation, setting out why you feel you need to breach this rule, and asking just why the club see the need for it? If so, you haven’t detailed that here, which may explain the responses you are receiving.

Mandofred

Visit site
Sorry to say it, but this sounds not like an issue relating to potential discrimination, but a petty clash of egos. A club captain who has, according to the OP at least, brought in a set of draconian rules. And a member who seeks to justify non-compliance by setting out how many titles he has won, how many holes in one achieved and has even thrown an albatross into the mix in the hope that may garner opinion in his favour.

I apologise to the OP if that sounds harsh, but no amount of willy waving makes a jot of difference to the original issue - that being that you think you should be allowed to drive a buggy within 30 yards of a green, and your club say you can’t. And I may have missed it in all the back and forth, but at no time do I recall you telling us WHY the club have this rule in place. Have you even asked them?

If I was a club manager, head greenkeeper or club captain invoking this 30 metre rule, I would care not one jot how many club or district championships you have won, or how far you can still hit driver. None of that has any relevance whatsoever to the issue at hand.

Have you at any point sat down and had a sensible conversation, setting out why you feel you need to breach this rule, and asking just why the club see the need for it? If so, you haven’t detailed that here, which may explain the responses you are receiving.
Damn, I was going to try that next time I wanted something from the club. They may have to stand really close to see what was happening though...... 😉

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This rant has just lost you a lot of sympathy from me (and I suspect quite a few others)

Swango1980

Visit site

Are you trying to tell me that willy waving isn't the right tactic to get what you want????? :)