Discrimination

Ron McDonnell

Visit site
Glad I don't have to make that call......I can see it either way. From the golf course point of view if letting you "break the rules", others would start doing the same thing. Golfers are terrible about following the rules like that. Same during the winter when a lot of courses put out lines to keep trolleys away from the greens.....plenty of people just ignore them and it's why I often just carry during the sloppy months.....and most golf courses that I see around here completely ban riding machines during the winter.
I don’t drive through sloppy stuff and our course is hard fairways

Mandofred

Visit site
The course is not wet.
If the course you are playing on is NEVER wet....which is kind of strange.....then your only option is to talk to whoever you need to at the club that makes the final decisions. If that doesn't work I wouldn't even consider doing anything else and if you are wanting to keep playing I would check out other locals clubs that might allow you to drive your cart wherever you want. At some point, the decision needs to be made on whether you can play any more. Everybody has to make these decisions on various things in your life. I used to run a lot, a couple of knee operations, getting older, letting myself gain weight put the end to that......now I do other things.

Mandofred

Visit site
I’d trust green staff a hell of a lot more than the hundreds of golfers rolling through.
Absolutely. I've been a member at 3 different courses in my area......huge amount of golfers just ignore all the different things the green staff put out to try to keep the course in better shape. Any attempt on my part to get them to stop would end up in a lynching.....and I don't want to be lynched.

Burnsey

Visit site
The OP has posted two replies 24 hours later and I'm sorry, but for the effort made to his initial post/opinions given etc, the follow up reads as someone who doesn't want an opinion, but validation to his OP.

Ron, join another club, but ask about your buggy first.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are talking about an exemption for one person though.
And unfortunately, all golfers are self-serving annoyances of people. You make an exception for one, everyone starts doing the same thing because they have seen one person doing it and then the rules just don't apply anymore. Whilst I feel for the OP a bit, I don't think you can make exceptions for one person. Buggy rules are buggy rules.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
And unfortunately, all golfers are self-serving annoyances of people. You make an exception for one, everyone starts doing the same thing because they have seen one person doing it and then the rules just don't apply anymore. Whilst I feel for the OP a bit, I don't think you can make exceptions for one person. Buggy rules are buggy rules.

Yeah even without them seeing a buggy get as close as 10m I’ve lost count of the amount of (usually) tourists fully intending to take their buggy way too close to greens so that the GPS locks up forward drive

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not quite true. Some people don’t replace divots, rake bunkers or fix pitch marks but that doesn’t make everyone else stop doing it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If he's in the US don't they have some kind of accessibility law there that includes golf courses? May have a bearing on his next step

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Absolutely. I've been a member at 3 different courses in my area......huge amount of golfers just ignore all the different things the green staff put out to try to keep the course in better shape. Any attempt on my part to get them to stop would end up in a lynching.....and I don't want to be lynched.
'Shortest possible route, least line of resistance.'

That seems to be the mantra of all golfers circumnavigating a green with trolleys or buggies.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
'Shortest possible route, least line of resistance.'

That seems to be the mantra of all golfers circumnavigating a green with trolleys or buggies.
It's human nature on most things. Whether it is ignoring a path to walk over grass or crossing a road 10yds away from a zebra crossing. Most people take the easiest route. I'm one of those boring rule followers but watching people shows there are plenty who don't.

Visit site
There was a chap at my old club who suffered with Parkinson’s, the only time he wasn’t shaking was when stood over a golf ball, but naturally he needed a buggy.

One wet winter, he was told he wasn’t allowed to use his buggy. This was after 20+ years at the club.

He left and wrote the club out of his will. He used to heavily support/fund charity days. The club closed a few years later due to lack of funds.

YandaB

Visit site
One of the main reasons I quite often carry during the winter. Straight line to where I want to go without having to take a 4 mile route around the green.
Agreed, I carry in the winter because I'm lazy :).

Edit, it's also easier to find balls by walking down the line from further back.

Mandofred

Visit site
One of the reasons for money being short....Govt, businesses etc....is the thinking that we always have to make things easier. More child care....more social programs.....more xxxxxxx. Always more. Now...I'm in NO WAY saying I'm against these programs.....but.... more things costs more money, but nobody wants to pay more tax to pay for these things. Same with this situation in my head. This guy wants more access on the golf course...this may be easy or hard, no way for me to know without knowing ALL of the details. There will be a point in my life where I will give up playing golf. If I can't walk the course, I'm not playing....it's a major part of the game to me. When I can't walk the course, to me it's time to hang it up. Others are more than happy to take carts of various nature. But even for the guys I know that use them, they pretty well can't play for a large part of the year because the ground is too wet/soft. I think that is reasonable. Others will insist that the golf course needs to find a way no matter how that will allow them to keep playing. Not reasonable.

RichA

Visit site
One of the reasons for money being short....Govt, businesses etc....is the thinking that we always have to make things easier. More child care....more social programs.....more xxxxxxx. Always more. Now...I'm in NO WAY saying I'm against these programs.....but.... more things costs more money, but nobody wants to pay more tax to pay for these things. Same with this situation in my head. This guy wants more access on the golf course...this may be easy or hard, no way for me to know without knowing ALL of the details. There will be a point in my life where I will give up playing golf. If I can't walk the course, I'm not playing....it's a major part of the game to me. When I can't walk the course, to me it's time to hang it up. Others are more than happy to take carts of various nature. But even for the guys I know that use them, they pretty well can't play for a large part of the year because the ground is too wet/soft. I think that is reasonable. Others will insist that the golf course needs to find a way no matter how that will allow them to keep playing. Not reasonable.
Seriously?
We're talking about exceptions being made for a tiny minority to park lightweight golf buggeys slightly closer to a golf green, probably in the spot where the green keepers park their heavier vehicles.
Cost = zero.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Clubs should have a buggy policy

The policy will look at Health and Safety issues

Buggy routes are created for inclement weather to allow buggies still to be used but only on a route that won’t cause any health and safety issues

We have a traffic light system

Green - no restrictions but buggy users expected to use common sense to take care of the course - same for trolleys

Amber - buggies must use a pre approved route to ensure there are no issues for health and safety

Red - buggies not allowed on the course