Lining up putts

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow next time I play I'll bring a dictionary so I'm clear on the difference between team, side, group.
No need. It's pretty clear from the Definition of a side in the Rules:

Two or more partners competing as a single unit in a round in match play or stroke play.
Each set of partners is a side, whether each partner plays his or her own ball (Four-Ball) or the partners play one ball (Foursomes).A side is not the same as a team. In a team competition, each team consists of players competing as individuals or as sides.

Steven Rules

Visit site
Committee Procedures 9C it tells us "A scramble is played with two, three or four-person TEAMS."
So it is not surprising that everyone uses different language, the Ruling Bodies can't get their act together here.
That's a perplexing and disappointing lapse in the use of terminology. I was looking at Committee Procedures 9 a week or two ago and must confess that I didn't pick up that they were (erroneously) using 'teams' throughout.

The distinction between a side and a team is clear and internally consistent in the Rules and Definitions. Committee Procedures 9 just shocks me.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's a perplexing and disappointing lapse in the use of terminology. I was looking at Committee Procedures 9 a week or two ago and must confess that I didn't pick up that they were (erroneously) using 'teams' throughout.

The distinction between a side and a team is clear and internally consistent in the Rules and Definitions. Committee Procedures 9 just shocks me.
It might be worth informing the R&A

Steven Rules

Visit site
I'm still non the wiser
You'll need to understand it, Bob, if you ever get called up to play Ryder Cup;), otherwise you might accumulate a few general penalties for giving advice to someone you shouldn't.

It's pretty straightforward. A player (or caddie) can give advice to a member of their side but not to a member of their team unless the team member is also a member of the player’s side.;)

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
So to clear it up, you can stand behind in a team and anyone not just a captain can pull you up. 👍
It's a scramble. Do what you want. Nobody cares about scrambles....

....except low handicappers who are now hamstrung by the handicap allowances that prevent them from winning....not that they ever felt bad when the previous typical allowances of 1/10th etc favoured them excessively.

If there's one format that should be sacked off from our clubs calendar it is the scramble...a waste of a day's golf.

(I don't expect much support in this viewpoint....I know scrambles are hugely popular...but so were lead pipes in water supplies once)

AussieKB

Visit site
It's a scramble. Do what you want. Nobody cares about scrambles....

....except low handicappers who are now hamstrung by the handicap allowances that prevent them from winning....not that they ever felt bad when the previous typical allowances of 1/10th etc favoured them excessively.

If there's one format that should be sacked off from our clubs calendar it is the scramble...a waste of a day's golf.

(I don't expect much support in this viewpoint....I know scrambles are hugely popular...but so were lead pipes in water supplies once)
Scrambles out here in OZ are big money earners for golf clubs, and the best cheats normally win.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Where I used to teach, I started a 9 hole Texas Scramble every Friday after work in the summer and Sunday lunch time in the winter.
This was used to help new members meet people and new golfers to learn some rules and how marking a card works etc. It also showed newer golfers that they weren't the worst golfers in the world which was brilliant for their confidence.
It was just a gentle, relaxed introduction to competition golf and was very popular.
Fish and chips were available afterwards and the winning team got a sleeve of golf balls each.

Sadly, we got a new captain who, without consulting me, decided to take over the running of the comp and changed it to a much more official s/ford with tee times drawn the fish and chips stopped and he increased the entry fee.
It was not popular and fizzled out within a few weeks.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Where I used to teach, I started a 9 hole Texas Scramble every Friday after work in the summer and Sunday lunch time in the winter.
This was used to help new members meet people and new golfers to learn some rules and how marking a card works etc. It also showed newer golfers that they weren't the worst golfers in the world which was brilliant for their confidence.
It was just a gentle, relaxed introduction to competition golf and was very popular.
Fish and chips were available afterwards and the winning team got a sleeve of golf balls each.

Sadly, we got a new captain who, without consulting me, decided to take over the running of the comp and changed it to a much more official s/ford with tee times drawn the fish and chips stopped and he increased the entry fee.
Captains eh?

The worst ones are those that think they need to leave their mark. The best ones are those that respect the traditions of the club, get rid of things that plainly don't work, fine tune other stuff and keep their fingers out of everything else.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Our Academy runs quite regular Texas Scrambles over 4 or 5 holes. We too find it the best way of introducing new golfers to playing on the course, competition and getting to know the rules and etiquette 👍