Sex discrimination in golf

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
A 54 handicap person who keeps it on the fairway, plays within themselves and obeys the rules and etiquette has every right to be on a golf course.

If the handicap is 54 due to the fact 3 balls are lost of every other tee trying to bash a driver 300 yards then there may be a cause to advise them they may have more fun at a driving range.

Visit site
My partner has just taken up the game, and after a good year's hard practice on a little nine hole course, has taken the plunge, and joined a "proper" golf club. It's one with a "THE" in front of it's name, so you can tell it's posh!
Imagine her surprise, when, after handing three cards in, (just before the BIG change), she was given a 45 handicap. She has learned all about speed of play, and I am more than happy to play with her for a fun round. No issue whatsoever with sex discrimination from my part. However, I do agree. If a male needs 54 strokes, perhaps he should spend more time on the range, and some money on lessons.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
am kinda surprised looking at how a 54 handicapper should not be on a course. Does a hcap of 54 mean a slow round, trust me Ave played all year behind a 13 handicapper and he and his group are purgatory to follow. Does 54 hcap mean slow, No it don’t. So why should he or her not play. I am more concerned if a 54 hcap person has a good course etiquette and ready to play attitude than how many shots he takes to get around the course.
Again re 54 hcap, if that is not ok to be on the course, what is 50, 40, 30 hcap. We have all started somewhere.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really hope the bold is meant in jest. Those are some of the most elitest comments ive read, get a grip of yourself mate, we dont all start playing golf in our infancy, some people start out as bad golfers, simple as. No one wants to be off 54, but if thats what you need to get around the course then so be it.

Ignore him/her, he/she often posts stuff like this to get a reaction.

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
I’ve read that some courses require visitors to have minimum formal handicaps to play? Are they ever enforced or is it more to deter folks who are unlikely to follow etiquette?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve read that some courses require visitors to have minimum formal handicaps to play? Are they ever enforced or is it more to deter folks who are unlikely to follow etiquette?
I suspect the latter. I know I have never been asked to show a handicap certificate. The one place I would not chance, others on here may be able to answer this, is Sunningdale which has an 18 limit. To have such a low figure compared to other courses suggests they may enforce it although I don't know that for sure.

On a similar note I wonder if they will alter that to mean 18 using your HI and their chart or simply a HI of 18? If they mean it then it will need to be the former as I am sure the chart will give a few extra shots when playing there.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I suspect the latter. I know I have never been asked to show a handicap certificate. The one place I would not chance, others on here may be able to answer this, is Sunningdale which has an 18 limit. To have such a low figure compared to other courses suggests they may enforce it although I don't know that for sure.

On a similar note I wonder if they will alter that to mean 18 using your HI and their chart or simply a HI of 18? If they mean it then it will need to be the former as I am sure the chart will give a few extra shots when playing there.
Fragger played Sunningdale last year and he's rarely been within a mile of 18..

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fragger played Sunningdale last year and he's rarely been within a mile of 18..
It's a bucket list place for me but I am just over the limit and the thought of turning up for 2 days of golf only to be turned away would be a total shocker, pride, expense the works. I wish they would remove the statement it if it is not enforced

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree about playing from your comp tees. I only play off yellow when my friends who purely play for fun 5x a year join me.

I really hope the bold is meant in jest. Those are some of the most elitest comments ive read, get a grip of yourself mate, we dont all start playing golf in our infancy, some people start out as bad golfers, simple as. No one wants to be off 54, but if thats what you need to get around the course then so be it.
Na sorry mate if you require a 54 handicap golf is simply not for you. To take 3 strokes a hole is borderline ridiculous, I’m not elitist in anyway I’m just giving my opinion. Go and play a pitch and putt course or go to the driving range until you can at least make contact with the ball. How someone could enjoy play golf so badly is beyond me

Imurg

Visit site
It's a bucket list place for me but I am just over the limit and the thought of turning up for 2 days of golf only to be turned away would be a total shocker, pride, expense the works. I wish they would remove the statement it if it is not enforced
One of my pet hates.
Often says Handicap Certificate Required or they show a handicap limit - rarely are they ever checked..
I think it's to put off the nomads who " can't be bothered to join a club" or, more likely, to keep the riff raff out.
It's almost as if being a member of a club and having a handicap makes you a better person...

Imurg

Visit site
Na sorry mate if you require a 54 handicap golf is simply not for you. To take 3 strokes a hole is borderline ridiculous, I’m not elitist in anyway I’m just giving my opinion. Go and play a pitch and putt course or go to the driving range until you can at least make contact with the ball. How someone could enjoy play golf so badly is beyond me
But you're not elitist.....
What should be the highest handicap then.?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But you're not elitist.....
What should be the highest handicap then.?
I think they should have made 36 the maximum. Two shots a hole is plenty - remember that that gives you a point for triple bogey, which is fine. I don't agree that someone at 54 hcap level shouldn't be on the course - in that respect, only pace of play and etiquette really matters rather than ability. But with regards to pace of play, I'm not sure if more people putting out for quad bogeys really helps. By all means let everyone play but I think 36 is a good starting point and something to aim at if you're not there already.

Not sure how this relates to sex discrimination but anyway.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
am kinda surprised looking at how a 54 handicapper should not be on a course. Does a hcap of 54 mean a slow round, trust me Ave played all year behind a 13 handicapper and he and his group are purgatory to follow. Does 54 hcap mean slow, No it don’t. So why should he or her not play. I am more concerned if a 54 hcap person has a good course etiquette and ready to play attitude than how many shots he takes to get around the course.
Again re 54 hcap, if that is not ok to be on the course, what is 50, 40, 30 hcap. We have all started somewhere.
I do think sometimes is it enjoyable playing with 3 shots a hole.?
But that’s up to the player involved .
Everyone has a right to play as you say ,as long as they keep up with the game in front and etiquette is ok.

The slowest player I ever played with was +2 cap he was hard work.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

What about those pro ams where some of them have never held a club in their lives.
Money talks.
Do they have any members over 18 I wonder.
So if you go to 18.5 your out.;).

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Dumb quote of the day goes to......

I know plenty of 54 handicap ability players that strike a ball fine, just wayward and inconsistent, poor short game and putting. Enjoyment isnt measured using ability like on the "parsaregood" enjoyment scale, if it was, god it'd be a miserable world.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I see your point.
As I have said before “ I gave up snooker because I was crap”
But if they enjoy it , they pay their money just like us.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dumb quote of the day goes to......

I know plenty of 54 handicap ability players that strike a ball fine, just wayward and inconsistent, poor short game and putting. Enjoyment isnt measured using ability like on the "parsaregood" enjoyment scale, if it was, god it'd be a miserable world.
I'm not arguing with the sentiment, but I highly doubt anyone is at 54 handicap just because their short game isn't the best. My wife has played golf once in her life, could barely strike it off the ground and no more than about 80 yards off the deck - and she only finished 60 over par. I think you were exaggerating there. :LOL:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not arguing with the sentiment, but I highly doubt anyone is at 54 handicap just because their short game isn't the best. My wife has played golf once in her life, could barely strike it off the ground and no more than about 80 yards off the deck - and she only finished 60 over par. I think you were exaggerating there. :LOL:
First time out and you made her mark a card.
Was that to stop her coming again?;)