Sex discrimination in golf

Mandofred

Visit site
The "rules" around golf clubs are getting better (in my opinion) but need to keep changing.......and golfers (older, which most are) are very reluctant for change to happen. For so many years there were plenty of courses that wouldn't let you wear running shoes while playing.....just because they were running shoes, not "golf" shoes......even though in reality they are the same thing and had just as much traction on the bottoms as spikeless golf shoes. Things are changing, but a little faster would be nice.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that you hate women. Most of what you say are non-issues though. Personally my club has a very relaxed dress code, and the majority of clubs I visit don't tell me to tuck my shirt in these days. I'm quite happy to wear a polo and golf shorts, and let's face it, women can't wear "whatever they like" I'm sure they would not be allowed to wear denim for example, or crop tops etc.

You sound like one of the 'all lives matter' brigade - missing the point that a lot of the measures are to encourage women to participate more and address an existing imbalance - not to favour them.

sammyboy

Visit site
The "rules" around golf clubs are getting better (in my opinion) but need to keep changing.......and golfers (older, which most are) are very reluctant for change to happen. For so many years there were plenty of courses that wouldn't let you wear running shoes while playing.....just because they were running shoes, not "golf" shoes......even though in reality they are the same thing and had just as much traction on the bottoms as spikeless golf shoes. Things are changing, but a little faster would be nice.

For many years... That's still a rule at my club! No trainers. Only golf shoes.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Anyone else wondering that there's a few more important things going on than worrying why blokes have to tuck their shirts in while the gals don't....?:rolleyes:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
As a male I have to do certain things to play golf at my club. I have to have my shirt tucked in. I have to have a collar on my shirt. I have to have fitted shorts that cannot be too short or too long. Yet it seems to be a free for all and women can dress as they please. What's that all about?

I'm also banned from playing at a certain time in the middle of the week. And the women refuse to let me through when they are holding me up after their allocated start times. For some reason they have to stay together in a pack hacking the ball 20yards each time they attempt to hit the ball. I am sure if I took 5 or 6 hours to complete a round and didn't let people through as a matter of principle something would be said.

The women also got access to the men's tournaments now. Which I have no problem with at all. But why can't I play in their midweek tournaments from a male tee? As they have no handicap limit surely rather than calling it the women's competition why not name is the high handicapper's comp?

The women have even had a toilet built at the halfway point which the men are now allowed to use! Whilst I can go for a wizz in the bushes if I need a crap am I expected to do that publically simply because I am a man?

I wondered if anyone else's club had this sort of sex discrimination? I'm not going to war to wear 3/4 length trousers and sleeveless tops. But if the women don't have to tuck their shirts in then I fail to see why I should. If your club has had these problems has anyone fixed it? I'm sorely tempted to claim to be a transitioning women so I can get the benefits which are denied to me simply because I was born with a penis.

This is like a parody from the pages of the Viz or Private Eye.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Polo shirts should be longer by 8” at the front so the pot belly pigs can tuck them in ??

Crumplezone

Visit site
One of the reasons that clubs have fairly strict dress codes is simply to stop the golfers from turning up in a string vest and jeans etc.

I don't have a string vest, but regularly play in jeans and a t shirt at several courses that don't have a dress code. I don't even tuck my t shirt in. How is that a problem for anyone else?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I don't have a string vest, but regularly play in jeans and a t shirt at several courses that don't have a dress code. I don't even tuck my t shirt in. How is that a problem for anyone else?
It's not a problem at the courses you play at. However, if a private members club requests that you have a minimum dress code (and it's not actually that onerous in most cases) then you respect that.
Mind you, I don't fancy playing golf in jeans for practical purposes. Too hot when it's warm, too heavy when it rains.
The problem is the OP started out with a rant about what women can do and men can't, and then rails about women inequality in a later post.

Anyway, I'm off to open a box of Pringles now.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not a problem at the courses you play at. However, if a private members club requests that you have a minimum dress code (and it's not actually that onerous in most cases) then you respect that.
Mind you, I don't fancy playing golf in jeans for practical purposes. Too hot when it's warm, too heavy when it rains.
The problem is the OP started out with a rant about what women can do and men can't, and then rails about women inequality in a later post.

Anyway, I'm off to open a box of Pringles now.
Yeah I never understand why people would want to play in jeans, they're really not fit for purpose. Golf trousers tend to be lighter and looser fitting, let alone shorts which I'd rather wear anyway.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Would you expect to turn up and play dressed like that at your local tennis club?

D

Deleted member 21258

Would you expect to turn up and play dressed like that at your local tennis club?

I have played in many different things when I was a member and only play socially. I have played in shorts to trousers, to jumpers, to cardigans, to winter coats, to not even tucking my T shirt it (I was a right old rebel when I was younger:alien:) .

To be honest, it had never even crossed my mind that there maybe a dress code at the tennis club, surely there isnt :eek: off I go to look out of interest[EDIT no mention on the website and different rules for men/women etc]

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have played in many different things when I was a member and only play socially. I have played in shorts to trousers, to jumpers, to cardigans, to winter coats, to not even tucking my T shirt it (I was a right old rebel when I was younger:alien:) .

To be honest, it had never even crossed my mind that there maybe a dress code at the tennis club, surely there isnt :eek: off I go to look out of interest

I played competitive club tennis for about 10 years and, no, there wasnt a dress code for casual club night knockabouts but there certainly was for league matches and competitions, which was most of the tennis I played. Also you couldn't pitch up at indoor "pay and play" courts without the right gear.

Crumplezone

Visit site

Tennis requires that sports clothes be worn as it involves actually running around and getting warm. Jeans are perfectly practical for playing golf. They do not affect ability to play whatsoever. The only item of golf wear that is actually practical and necessary are shoes. The rest is down to preference. At one time, playing in a tweed suit with waistcoat and tie was normal golf attire. Not exactly practical was it? Golf polo shirts just started out as a way to cheat the over formal dress codes as the bare minimum of having a collar, but being comfortable and practical. I can imagine golfers in the past cursing them as a disgraceful drop in standards and calling for them to be banned.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Tennis requires that sports clothes be worn as it involves actually running around and getting warm. Jeans are perfectly practical for playing golf. They do not affect ability to play whatsoever. The only item of golf wear that is actually practical and necessary are shoes. The rest is down to preference. At one time, playing in a tweed suit with waistcoat and tie was normal golf attire. Not exactly practical was it? Golf polo shirts just started out as a way to cheat the over formal dress codes as the bare minimum of having a collar, but being comfortable and practical. I can imagine golfers in the past cursing them as a disgraceful drop in standards and calling for them to be banned.

Most club tennis is doubles, I could certainly have coped in the winter with jeans on. You could play golf wearing a Donald Duck suit and get round, and I could certainly play golf in plimsolls in the summer, so golf shoes are NOT necessary

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Bottom line is that it is probably the case that, in general, when left to their own devices blokes might not be as bothered as ladies about how they dress and how they look in public...it's not a fact, but just an observation Mrs SILH has made to me. I took it personally...:)

sammyboy

Visit site
Bottom line is that it is probably the case that, in general, when left to their own devices blokes might not be as bothered as ladies about how they dress and how they look in public...it's not a fact, but just an observation Mrs SILH has made to me. I took it personally...:)

Who cares?

I'd hardly say the vast majority of golfers would be winning any fashion awards anyway! I can dress up like a clown as long as I follow the 'rules'. And many people do choose to wear clown trousers on the golf course.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Funnily enough my missus says the same, and always checks how I look before going on the course.