Random Irritations

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I discussed him the other day. He's obviously got nothing else in his life I said. The response was, he's got three kids you'd think he want to spend time with them. Hmmmmmm
I think it is strange that people on here say that Murray should retire (which I agree with) but when it is brought up about Tiger retiring, everyone says he can still win when he is in the same situation as Murray

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I discussed him the other day. He's obviously got nothing else in his life I said. The response was, he's got three kids you'd think he want to spend time with them. Hmmmmmm
He has the mindset of a professional sportsman

They all want to keep on going and trying their best until they feel it’s best to retire , and that applies to the likes of Woods as well

They have all earned the right to stop when they think it’s right to stop

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it is strange that people on here say that Murray should retire (which I agree with) but when it is brought up about Tiger retiring, everyone says he can still win when he is in the same situation as Murray

I just don't think it's for us to judge them. It's what they choose to do. For sure they still have a burning desire to compete. Like artists who keep performing. They need the buzz. It's who they are.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
He has the mindset of a professional sportsman

They all want to keep on going and trying their best until they feel it’s best to retire , and they applys to the likes of Woods as well

They have all earned the right to stop when they think it’s right to stop
Golly nooooo. he chose the right time years ago, then changed his mind

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd disagree with that quite a bit. There is a hard core who still cling to this belief, the media largely because of the viewing figures he brings, but the vast majority see that as pie in the sky now.

I don't believe that Murray has any belief that he can win Wimbledon, he just wants his big goodbye. Woods may well still believe, no matter how misguided. I don't agree with either.

Last edited:

Morfeen75

Visit site
I may have misinterpreted your wording, but it seems to be suggesting that Coldplay is a top quality artist, which I find somewhat alarming.

Re. festivals in general: early 70s I went to a local one in Sussex called Harmony Farm. Free to get in, plenty of decent local bands (obviously not top names, but still enjoyable). Only about 4000 people there, not crowded at all. That's what I call a nice, good value festival. Mind you, the toilets left an awful lot to be desired 🤢🤮
You have, "Other top quality artists" is the clue.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I may have misinterpreted your wording, but it seems to be suggesting that Coldplay is a top quality artist, which I find somewhat alarming.

Re. festivals in general: early 70s I went to a local one in Sussex called Harmony Farm. Free to get in, plenty of decent local bands (obviously not top names, but still enjoyable). Only about 4000 people there, not crowded at all. That's what I call a nice, good value festival. Mind you, the toilets left an awful lot to be desired 🤢🤮

Music is always about taste -

Coldplay are outstanding as a band and have the history to prove it , been lucky to have seen them multiple times and the concerts they put on are a full blown show

Also saw them at Glastonbury when they were with Jay Z

Brilliant show

PaulMdj

Visit site
I saw Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis and Mike Oldfield in c.1979/80 for probably less in total than a £150 Coldplay ticket.

I'd play twice that to see ANY of them over Coldplay now if I had money to burn lol!
This is an age thing for me, the Artists we grew up with, influenced our Youth etc will always be better than the current noise.

Younger people today, really don’t like some of “our” music.

Just like we didn’t appreciatte some of our parents choices.

I really don’t get the Taylor Swift hype.

#itsanagething 😂

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I loved festivals in my 20s, went to several (although never Glasto) but I'm not sure if I could cope with it now. And the line-ups seem to get worse every year compared to the ones I went to.
It was Leeds and I was in my 20s.
This is an age thing for me, the Artists we grew up with, influenced our Youth etc will always be better than the current noise.

#itsanagething 😂
I’m probably the same age as many Coldplay fans and I think they are one of the most boring bands I have ever heard.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

#itsanagething 😂
We have Ken Bruce on in the factory at work. The closing part of his quiz is to name 3 hits in 10 seconds from a particular artist. In recent weeks I have got it for Queen, Madness, The Monkees, Chris Rea, The Hollies (I did not see that one coming :oops:). Ask me to do the same for Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Dua Lipa, 95% of the bands in the top 20 right now, and I would not get 1, not a single song. It is definitely #itsanagething , as it has always been with music 🤷‍♀️

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Worried I’ve done similar how’s the injury going what treatment are you currently going through? Surgery on the agenda

Sick as

I saw a surgeon last week and he doesn't want to operate ................................... yet!

He wants me to try a combo of physio and cortisone injections, I had my first, and hopefully only, injection yesterday.
The injections are to reduce the swelling and inflamation which would make the physio more productive.
My knee has been swollen since March, when I last played golf!

He says this course might not work ............................. but there's a chance it will.
I saw the surgeon privately but he organised the injection through my doctor, therefore I got that on the NHS.
The success of the injections vary tremendously from person to person. The benefits could be almost immediate, but sometimes can take two or three months!

My doctor, who gave me the injection, said give it a month and then, if my knee feels okay, try a bit of golf.
He did caveat that by saying I MUST NOT CARRY and said I should start off by using a buggy.
If at any time it hurts I must stop.
Unfotunately it's my lead leg which undergoes more stress than the trail leg, well, it does in my swing.

If I can help any further, just ask away.
Oh, my injury is my medial cartilage, the one on the inside of the knee joint, has been torn in half, and yes, it hurt when I did it!

Hope this helps and don't forget, there are so many people in a far worse state.
I mention this as, when I'm feeling a bit low, it just helps tp put things into a bit of perspective.
It also helps if you're young, which I'm not.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Took my lad a few years back to Download Festival, all heavy metal type music, not my scene at all, but absolutely loved it, over 80,000 there, no trouble, everyone having fun.
Funfair, Bars, every type of food you could want or take your own.

Limp Bizkit, SlipKnot, Motorhead etc on the main stage, 4 other stages showing bands from 2 in the afternoon until midnight.

Festivals tend to be more than just the music for some.

Download is superb, would happily go again in my 50s, been a few times in my 40s. People there look out for each other and are great fun. Just great bands on everywhere and it is such good value for money. Remember walking around on the Sunday to see Lemmy and Slash playing a random set together. Watched the Coat Tail Riders in one of the small tents to realise I am 5 yards away from Dave Grohl and Robert Plant. Last time I went it was Metallica and The Prodigy that stood out. Before that it was the year that AC/DC brought their full tour stage so as they could perform the actual show they were touring at the time.

Festivals are great fun and such good value.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Download is superb, would happily go again in my 50s, been a few times in my 40s. People there look out for each other and are great fun. Just great bands on everywhere and it is such good value for money. Remember walking around on the Sunday to see Lemmy and Slash playing a random set together. Watched the Coat Tail Riders in one of the small tents to realise I am 5 yards away from Dave Grohl and Robert Plant. Last time I went it was Metallica and The Prodigy that stood out. Before that it was the year that AC/DC brought their full tour stage so as they could perform the actual show they were touring at the time.

Festivals are great fun and such good value.
I've been to the last 11 or so - it is great fun, although not so much when it's peeing it down, with thick mud & even sludgier in the loos! However, I do cheat & don't camp.
Last year was the 20th anniversary, so Metallica played two nights with completely different sets as part of their world tour - they also allegedly bought their full touring rig, so the other bands could use it as well.
Even though it was £230 this year, I still saw about 14 full sets & several parts of others, so as you said, pretty good value.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wife has a big birthday this weekend, and it’s been hard to get good ideas.But I had a good one and she was really delighted but they forgot to put in the key gift … ☹️ .. she is happy but I am not