Random Irritations

Morfeen75

Visit site
Went to Reading when Marillion were on (c 1984????) which was great. Went back a few years later and a pain. Wouldn't do a Glastonbury or IOW. Seems overpriced, over crowded and surely not value for money
It depends what you define as value for money.

Coldplay tour tickets are roughly £150 each. Glastonbury is £360 for 5 days of full entertainment. Glastonbury is value for money.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It depends what you define as value for money.

Coldplay tour tickets are roughly £150 each. Glastonbury is £360 for 5 days of full entertainment. Glastonbury is value for money.
Depends on your point of view. Add in food, drink etc. I am guessing you are much younger than me and lets just say facilities were far more basic back then

Morfeen75

Visit site
Depends on your point of view. Add in food, drink etc. I am guessing you are much younger than me and lets just say facilities were far more basic back then
My point is simply to watch a full Coldplay Set at this years tour is roughly £150per ticket. Add in food and drink you're closer to £250 each

Glastonbury tickets cost £360. Coldplay are headlining saturday evening. Take £150 off Glastonbury full price and your paying £210 to watch other top quality artists perform.

You suggested Glastonbury was overpiced and "surely not value for money".

PaulMdj

Visit site
Took my lad a few years back to Download Festival, all heavy metal type music, not my scene at all, but absolutely loved it, over 80,000 there, no trouble, everyone having fun.
Funfair, Bars, every type of food you could want or take your own.

Limp Bizkit, SlipKnot, Motorhead etc on the main stage, 4 other stages showing bands from 2 in the afternoon until midnight.

Festivals tend to be more than just the music for some.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Been to Glastonbury a few times, had a brilliant time every time. Mind you, my last one was 15 years ago. Headliners were Springsteen, Neil Young and Blur. Compare that to the dross headlining this weekend.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Glastonbury tickets cost £360. Coldplay are headlining saturday evening. Take £150 off Glastonbury full price and your paying £210 to watch other top quality artists perform.
I may have misinterpreted your wording, but it seems to be suggesting that Coldplay is a top quality artist, which I find somewhat alarming.

Re. festivals in general: early 70s I went to a local one in Sussex called Harmony Farm. Free to get in, plenty of decent local bands (obviously not top names, but still enjoyable). Only about 4000 people there, not crowded at all. That's what I call a nice, good value festival. Mind you, the toilets left an awful lot to be desired 🤢🤮

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
I may have misinterpreted your wording, but it seems to be suggesting that Coldplay is a top quality artist, which I find somewhat alarming.

Re. festivals in general: early 70s I went to a local one in Sussex called Harmony Farm. Free to get in, plenty of decent local bands (obviously not top names, but still enjoyable). Only about 4000 people there, not crowded at all. That's what I call a nice, good value festival. Mind you, the toilets left an awful lot to be desired 🤢🤮
I saw Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis and Mike Oldfield in c.1979/80 for probably less in total than a £150 Coldplay ticket.

I'd play twice that to see ANY of them over Coldplay now if I had money to burn lol!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I saw Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis and Mike Oldfield in c.1979/80 for probably less in total than a £150 Coldplay ticket.

I'd play twice that to see ANY of them over Coldplay now if I had money to burn lol!
I saw Genesis at DeMontfort Hall Leicester in 1977 and it cost £1.75
Beer was about 25p a pint then. So £1.75 is about £30 now, I suppose.
I agree. Even allowing for inflation you could see 5 top bands on separate occasions for the equivalent of one Coldplay ticket today.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve booked Ronnie Scott’s and Borderline at reasonable prices next weekend, also booked tickets for Chicago which were more than the other 2 put together.

Think it was over £250 per ticket I was shocked

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Three City shirts (old) put on e bay. Huge interest. sold buy now very quickly. Sent out. Person receives. Moans, ok legit, that one is 2XL not XL as I had stated, I didn't check, they all fit me the same. And one was fake!!!!! Really???? All three were from a Nike outlet store years ago. So Nike are selling fakes of their own shirts? Well he/she was having none of it. So back they will come, at cost to me. Still, if they don't want them for the £20 they paid, I'll chuck them back on individually for £20 each. Who knew they'd be so popular?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't help but think he should have retired before this season. He is like the boxer who doesn't know when to stop and just keeps on losing. He can't be doing his body any good.
I discussed him the other day. He's obviously got nothing else in his life I said. The response was, he's got three kids you'd think he want to spend time with them. Hmmmmmm