Random Irritations

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Our dishwasher giving up and spewing water all over the kitchen floor.

My day sorting the garden has turned into going and buying a new dishwasher and fitting it.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
In the midst of a bathroom reno in the house. 1978 built ‘chalet’ villa style house.
Finding out exactly how shoddy practices were back then.

This is a complete rip out job, right back to the studs and joists and its been shocking. Spent about £500 making safe some stuff that, well it’s amazing the floor hadn’t caved in years ago.

3 days in and ready to start putting new floors down and route the new pipework, then hopefully by tomorrow evening we’ll have the new extended stud walls in place and crack on with plaster boarding it all.

Just dreading what we’ll find next.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the midst of a bathroom reno in the house. 1978 built ‘chalet’ villa style house.
Finding out exactly how shoddy practices were back then.

This is a complete rip out job, right back to the studs and joists and its been shocking. Spent about £500 making safe some stuff that, well it’s amazing the floor hadn’t caved in years ago.

3 days in and ready to start putting new floors down and route the new pipework, then hopefully by tomorrow evening we’ll have the new extended stud walls in place and crack on with plaster boarding it all.

Just dreading what we’ll find next.

I get this every time we do a room in the house

The downstairs toilet, the pipe work doesn't go in a straight like it's in a a curve down the wall.

Doing the girls room ATM. (Old master bedroom) Some just lazy things. Skirting board on top of the wall paper 😑

It seems everytime we undertake a job we need to allow an extra day to correct the previous owner bodges

The worst was the garage. Sockets wired off lighting cable!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I get this every time we do a room in the house

The downstairs toilet, the pipe work doesn't go in a straight like it's in a a curve down the wall.

Doing the girls room ATM. (Old master bedroom) Some just lazy things. Skirting board on top of the wall paper 😑

It seems everytime we undertake a job we need to allow an extra day to correct the previous owner bodges

The worst was the garage. Sockets wired off lighting cable!
Under the 14th edition a 1mm t/e cable that was surface clipped and fused to a max of 16 amp could be used to supply a single socket., or you could just change the supply fuse / mcb to 10 amp.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Under the 14th edition a 1mm t/e cable that was surface clipped and fused to 16 amp could be used to supply a single socket.

Yeah this was about 2 double sockets fed off the 1mm .. they had it powering a freezer and a tumble dryer

Surprised it never went bang!

Had the garage rewired with 2.5mm and it's fed now with it's own breaker straight from the consumer unit

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah this was about 2 double sockets fed off the 1mm .. they had it powering a freezer and a tumble dryer

Surprised it never went bang!

Had the garage rewired with 2.5mm and it's fed now with it's own breaker straight from the consumer unit
Tumble drier could be about 3kw / 13 amp so a 10 amp mcb would have tripped.
It's all about the correct cable protection.
There's some old houses that still have lead or VIR covered cables and still work.
Until you touch them lol

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The car threw up some sort of battery error when I was driving home from golf on Sunday. I’ve done a quick test myself and I’m pretty sure it’s the alternator but to be certain I booked it into a local Halfords for them to check it. That was 11.30 and I’m still hanging about waiting for the call back 🤦🏻
I’ve already walked around Ikea twice, the Metro Centre twice and I’ve just finished my 2nd coffee at a nearby Asda, I’m running out of shops to walk around 🤣

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The car threw up some sort of battery error when I was driving home from golf on Sunday. I’ve done a quick test myself and I’m pretty sure it’s the alternator but to be certain I booked it into a local Halfords for them to check it. That was 11.30 and I’m still hanging about waiting for the call back 🤦🏻
I’ve already walked around Ikea twice, the Metro Centre twice and I’ve just finished my 2nd coffee at a nearby Asda, I’m running out of shops to walk around 🤣
AG at the Metro Centre retail park?

Was your Mazda talking to my Mazda and didn't want to feel left out on the warning light front? 😂

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
AG at the Metro Centre retail park?

Was your Mazda talking to my Mazda and didn't want to feel left out on the warning light front? 😂

Ha ha yes, it came on a few miles from home after I drove through a pretty bad puddle. I thought it may clear the day after once it was dried out but no luck. Wonder what car my employer will get me from Enterprise, be a proper lucky dip 🤣

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
A scenario from the weekend...

Wife: "when you pop out to the dump could you get a couple of things for me from the cheap shop next to Aldi please" (hands me a short list), "I bought some of this stuff this morning but looks like I'm going to run out and need some more" (she was engaging in a deep clean of the kitchen, cupboards and culling of assorted aged jars, packets and cans)
Me: "yeah no problems", I look at the list and decide it is within my menial capabilities and that I don't need further instruction or guidance.

A short time later I'm stood in said shop, in truth I've been in said shop for about 15 minutes...walking up and down the aisles unable to find three of the four items on the list, I'm feeling pretty abject, almost a failure as both a man and a husband, at my inability to carry out a simple domestic instruction and find the same items purchased by my wife only a couple of hours earlier. I ask a disinterested employee for guidance but get little more than a shrug from someone who's shift no doubt finishes in the next ten minutes.

I return home defeated. I walk through the front door....I must be exhibiting some sort of aura as even our dog gives me an apparent look of sympathy.

Me: "sorry dear....you did tell me to go to the cheap shop next to Aldi didn't you?"
Wife: "Yes, why?"
Me: Well i was only able to find one of the items you wanted....where exactly were they in the shop when you bought them this morning?"

Wife: "Oh...I didn't get them from that shop this morning...I got them from B&M next to Sainsburys...just thought it would be easier for you to go there instead." :mad:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Going to see someone in the MSK unit at hospital who is going to refer me to a surgeon to go through my options.
I ask when I'm liable to see the surgeon, he tells me it'll probably be in about three months!!
WHAT!!
Three more months of waiting with one utterly useless knee.

Any knee surgeons on these boards?