Random Irritations

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In my haste to reply I was thinking of what we do from work with our online shop.

We would always honour a return if it was bought from a walk in, but we are a relatively small company not a faceless organisation like curry’s
My understanding is there is no requirement to change or refund someone who has bought the wrong product by their own mistake as distance selling doesnt come into it. Some retaillers will, out of customer relations.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I’ve previously posted up about a friend who’s been in and out of hospital since around Sept last year and has been ill for over a year now. He’s sleeping around 18-20 hours a day now. From being able to demolish big meals he has little interest, or ability, in food. We took him out, briefly yesterday for lunch, a snack really. He got through a quarter of a chicken sandwich…

Today was his weekly weighing day. In the last 2 weeks he’s dropped 15kg, down to 38kg.

Failing rapidly now. Family are coming out to visit… :cry:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve previously posted up about a friend who’s been in and out of hospital since around Sept last year and has been ill for over a year now. He’s sleeping around 18-20 hours a day now. From being able to demolish big meals he has little interest, or ability, in food. We took him out, briefly yesterday for lunch, a snack really. He got through a quarter of a chicken sandwich…

Today was his weekly weighing day. In the last 2 weeks he’s dropped 15kg, down to 38kg.

Failing rapidly now. Family are coming out to visit… :cry:
Sad sad times all you can do is try and be there for him. 😥

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The "snooze" button....
The Management is currently napping on the sofa....I'm taking her to a hair appointment at 12.30
She's set an alarm and she's snoozed it 3 times....
She's in for a shock in 5 minutes when I tell her she's got half an hour until we have to leave..... :rolleyes:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The "snooze" button....
The Management is currently napping on the sofa....I'm taking her to a hair appointment at 12.30
She's set an alarm and she's snoozed it 3 times....
She's in for a shock in 5 minutes when I tell her she's got half an hour until we have to leave..... :rolleyes:
My wife is terrible for this as well. She works from home but the amount of times she's still in bed at 9 is scandalous. If she suddenly had to go back to office work she'd be sacked within a week! And she's always complaining that she's still answering emails at 6pm as well. If only there was a solution...

Mandofred

Visit site
Buying a house....just down the street. The lawyer has already tried to talk us into a survey and search for the house. We refused both. The house needs a lot of work, we already know this and all a basic survey would say is that it seems ok structurally. The search would just tell us that our sewer system flows into the main sewer pipes in the road....that's all our last search gave us, the rest was just as worthless. Some of these "add on" jobs seem a bit of a scam.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Buying a house....just down the street. The lawyer has already tried to talk us into a survey and search for the house. We refused both. The house needs a lot of work, we already know this and all a basic survey would say is that it seems ok structurally. The search would just tell us that our sewer system flows into the main sewer pipes in the road....that's all our last search gave us, the rest was just as worthless. Some of these "add on" jobs seem a bit of a scam.

Depends, unless you are cash purchaser then the mortgage company may insist on certain searches as part of their standard instructions. Equally, if you are getting a mortgage, the standard valuation offers the buyer no protection, it is for the lender, and so upgrading the survey gives some protection.

As with anything like this, I would not disagree that a large percentage showing nothing of concern but it is the others that you need to worry about and carrying out those investigations is the only way to know which group you are part of.

Also, not many solicitors make any money from the survey or the searches.

Mandofred

Visit site
Depends, unless you are cash purchaser then the mortgage company may insist on certain searches as part of their standard instructions. Equally, if you are getting a mortgage, the standard valuation offers the buyer no protection, it is for the lender, and so upgrading the survey gives some protection.

As with anything like this, I would not disagree that a large percentage showing nothing of concern but it is the others that you need to worry about and carrying out those investigations is the only way to know which group you are part of.

Also, not many solicitors make any money from the survey or the searches.
As usual, I didn't give enough info. Cash purchaser. Also not making a dig at the solicitor, my objection there is that they are just going through the "usual" steps when most people buy houses without actually thinking about whether they are needed or not. Our search for our present house barely includes the area for the new house. My wife has lived almost all of her life within about a half mile of where we are. Iffff what I've been told is true, even if you get a survey of the house done, the company can't be held responsible for missing something....is that true?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Years ago my sister and her husband had a full search on the house they subsequently bought. The full survey didn't pick up that the chimney breasts had been removed on the ground and first floor but no work done in the loft. They found that out when the chimney came down through both floors. Luckily they were both out of the house when this happened. Surveyor was sued and lost!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
As usual, I didn't give enough info. Cash purchaser. Also not making a dig at the solicitor, my objection there is that they are just going through the "usual" steps when most people buy houses without actually thinking about whether they are needed or not. Our search for our present house barely includes the area for the new house. My wife has lived almost all of her life within about a half mile of where we are. Iffff what I've been told is true, even if you get a survey of the house done, the company can't be held responsible for missing something....is that true?

They are liable if they miss something and you pay for the survey. If it is a mortgage valuation then maybe not as that is for the benefit of the lender not the buyer.

With regards searches, we always recommend that they are carried out as, if for no other reason (and there are many reasons) if you later find something out that causes a problem and would have been revealed on standard searches, the first port of call is normally a complaint to the solicitor about why they client was not told to have searches. I certainly get a disclaimer signed if a client decides not to have searches carried out.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Got a letter from West Yorkshire police with a speeding ticket inside, 79mph in a 70mph zone 😬
Hopefully I get offered the speed awareness course 🙏
In 2022 my wife got clocked at 79mph, and the notice stated that she would have got away with 78.
She did a speed awareness course (online, perhaps because it was during COVID?)
This was Hampshire Constabulary, don't know if the guidance varies from place to place.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
In 2022 my wife got clocked at 79mph, and the notice stated that she would have got away with 78.
She did a speed awareness course (online, perhaps because it was during COVID?)
This was Hampshire Constabulary, don't know if the guidance varies from place to place.

Just received the letter, been given the option of the driver awareness course 👌