Random Irritations

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Can’t remember if I’ve already complained about this one, but.
Finding out the kids football tournament we are playing in at the weekend is running alongside a beer festival, and there are some teams there who’s behaviour is poor at the best of times.

Cannot wait

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I agree, this is the thing. I agree that some people lack the basic debating skills and critical thinking skills to hold reasoned and civil debate. So deal WITH THEM.

I stress these are my personal views. I would not claim to be speaking for the wider moderation team, and certainly not GM.

But this forum is moderated by a handful of people, who do it in their free time, voluntarily. I don’t have as much free time as one or two of the other guys, so my involvement is less than theirs.

Dealing with the individuals who cause most disruption, and their individual posts, would be the ideal world scenario. But politics in general, and a General Election in particular, polarises opinion to such an extent that the inevitable fallings out would just be too much to deal with by those who try and keep the peace here so that the forums can be enjoyed by everyone who visits.

Expectations regarding what the mods can be realistically expected to achieve have to be realistic.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I stress these are my personal views. I would not claim to be speaking for the wider moderation team, and certainly not GM.

But this forum is moderated by a handful of people, who do it in their free time, voluntarily. I don’t have as much free time as one or two of the other guys, so my involvement is less than theirs.

Dealing with the individuals who cause most disruption, and their individual posts, would be the ideal world scenario. But politics in general, and a General Election in particular, polarises opinion to such an extent that the inevitable fallings out would just be too much to deal with by those who try and keep the peace here so that the forums can be enjoyed by everyone who visits.

Expectations regarding what the mods can be realistically expected to achieve have to be realistic.
You do realise that on this forum the colour and length of a pair of socks polarises opinion? Shirt tucked in or out almost caused Armageddon...

I understand the put forward rationale, I really do. But I still don't agree that censorship or stifling of debate is more healthy than just dealing with the idiots that can't be civil. The same people just go on to cause issues in other conversations.

But we disagree on it and we move on, the world turns and the rain continues to fall.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Ordering through Amazon a replacement drive belt for my Flymo hover mower, and having delivered a packet that has a label that says the right thing, but contains two little packets of springs. And I just can’t be bothered going through the hassle and cost of returning them.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree, this is the thing. I agree that some people lack the basic debating skills and critical thinking skills to hold reasoned and civil debate. So deal WITH THEM.

Censoring debate is never the way forward IMO.

But I've argued this before and realise that I am flogging a dead horse. We live in a world where censorship and the suppression of debate is all too common.
Indeed - see as a manifestation of this the video of what happened to a Sky News reporter and team at an event yesterday.

The main event of 2016; the lead up to it, and what has happened since as a result, have riven the country and poisoned debate. And I don’t know if there is any antidote to the poison that has been injected.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ordering through Amazon a replacement drive belt for my Flymo hover mower, and having delivered a packet that has a label that says the right thing, but contains two little packets of springs. And I just can’t be bothered going through the hassle and cost of returning them.

You not got free returns with it? I've never had an issue with sending things back through Amazon. Infact you may not even have to send it back. Go on your Amazon account and check out the returns.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You not got free returns with it? I've never had an issue with sending things back through Amazon. Infact you may not even have to send it back. Go on your Amazon account and check out the returns.
Will have a look…👍. Well I’ll get my daughter to have a look as she has Prime and ordered it for me.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As @chellie has said, I very much doubt you will be asked to return them. For low value items, they just write them off, tell you to keep them. They will send a replacement.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
You do realise that on this forum the colour and length of a pair of socks polarises opinion? Shirt tucked in or out almost caused Armageddon...

I understand the put forward rationale, I really do. But I still don't agree that censorship or stifling of debate is more healthy than just dealing with the idiots that can't be civil. The same people just go on to cause issues in other conversations.

But we disagree on it and we move on, the world turns and the rain continues to fall.

Absolutely I do. But a General Election is far bigger than dress codes, slow play, EV’s and anything else which causes argument here.

The fallout from political debate is as big as it is ugly. The fallout from a General Election doesn’t bear thinking about.

GM as a brand don’t want to see these pages descend into chaos and ugly exchanges. And I get that.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Absolutely I do. But a General Election is far bigger than dress codes, slow play, EV’s and anything else which causes argument here.

The fallout from political debate is as big as it is ugly. The fallout from a General Election doesn’t bear thinking about.

GM as a brand don’t want to see these pages descend into chaos and ugly exchanges. And I get that.
Methinks you’ve gone a bit hyperbolic on this one.

But we’ll leave it there.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
^^^^^ This. With bells on.

There is discussion behind the scenes regarding whether the rules will be relaxed for the next few weeks to allow it, but ultimately it is a decision for GM, not the moderators.

If the current rules are eased then you’ll all get to hear about it.

I know I’m prob not in the best position but the period where the forum was flooded with political threads was horrific tbh

It prob caused more angst than anything on here

Last edited:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

I would agree. Having seen how some people can't have a discussion without descending into insults, inaccuracies, dubious "facts", unsubstantiated rumours, or just plain venom, I am happy for it not to be discussed on here. As others have said, if you want to discuss politics, there are plenty of other places to do that.
The good thing about this forum is you can have meaningful discussion without it getting too silly on the whole (although there have been some exceptions).

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Can’t we have one thread or its own subforum to discuss the GE? Any politics anywhere else gets an instant ban! Any personal insults, an instant ban.

To suggest the GE is in any way comparable to the importance of a discussion on dress codes is laughable and nonsense 😂

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The mods have discussed this and have confirmed that the politics ban stays in place. It has nothing to do with censorship or restricting free speech. The politics ban is a GM one and forms part of the forum guidelines. If people wish to discuss the GE then there is a whole internet out there where it can be mulled over, just not on here.

Last edited: