Masters 2019

Wolf

Visit site
Ridiculous ................................... just ridiculous.
You may not like that comment but it was Tigers influence and coming into the game that revolutionised sponsor deals when in the 90s Nike signed him to a $60m contract, that he literally took apart Augusta, went onto to destroy Pebble Beach & the US Open field and held all 4 majors at once during his Tiger slam. Those events alone reshaped many courses to protect themselves, brought thousands of new fans to the game including many of those playing around him at top of the Masters leaderboard and he changed how people exercise and train for the game. All that alone is revolutionary to the game that existed in the preceding decades. So Jacko is right in what he says this is the Tiger era.

No different to years past where we had the Hogan/Snead years, the big 3 Jack, Arnold and Player. Only difference is this time around its one man's era rather than a few.

D

Deleted member 1740

It raises a question for tomorrow re coverage.

Sky have a whole channel dedicated to golf. So they'll just put in on earlier than scheduled.

Those watching BBC, what have they said. They've the women's fa Cup semis on during the day prior to when coverage was meant to start.

Of course they could just cancel songs of praise and Country file....

i hope they dont, ill be very upset and disappointed 🤭

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Well Day three didn't disappoint!

Today we can (hopefully) just watch your preferred channel
Cheer for your preferred player/s
Wish for a close exciting finish and celebrate the game we all love

And maybe just maybe we can do it without all the bitching and baiting?

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site
Does anyone know how to update sky TV guide/planner to account for the change in start time so I can record the final days play. Is it as simple as turning off the sky box and turning back on?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does anyone know how to update sky TV guide/planner to account for the change in start time so I can record the final days play. Is it as simple as turning off the sky box and turning back on?

I think it has to be updated by sky. Is bbc updated? If so record that as a back up and set sky to record it might update in time and record it

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it has to be updated by sky. Is bbc updated? If so record that as a back up and set sky to record it might update in time and record it

Not updated on my planner for either. If I record everything on the guide within the Masters time frame on both will it record?

bagcarrier

Visit site
Last year when Tiger hit the front at the British you could see how nervous he became and I knew he was bottling it so it will be very interesting to see how he handles the pressure today.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last year when Tiger hit the front at the British you could see how nervous he became and I knew he was bottling it so it will be very interesting to see how he handles the pressure today.

I never knew this until this morning.. apparently tiger has never won a major unless leading or tied for the lead after 54 holes

so if he wins he needs to do something he has never done

then again he prob never had to come from behind before.. the field wasn't as good

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
No matter what happens today with TW, the damage is done.The American media is now revitalised with the TW obsession which was thankfully fading in the last few years.
I know how good he is/was for the game but wall to wall coverage of TW gets tiring very quickly.
For those who don't agree, take a look at the PGA Tours home page

https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/masters-tournament.html

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Not updated on my planner for either. If I record everything on the guide within the Masters time frame on both will it record?

When programmes have overrun before & I've been recording something during the night I've added extra programmes to cover this and they've been there in the morning, just a pain not being able to watch straight through as everything is stop & start.

D

Deleted member 15344

Tiger rescued golf, Tiger brought back sponsorship and corporate investment, he galvanised a stagnant US Tour.

TIGER IS GOLF IN OUR ERA.

Rescued ? Was professional golf “struggling” when he arrived ?

Yes he made it a marketing dream and his arrival helped make rich men richer hence why the pros now thank him but I can’t recall through the 80’s and 90’s the professional needing “rescuing”

So whilst you are he brought in more investment and money - the sport didn’t need rescuing and he isn’t golf. Golf survived before him , did well when he was here and then when he was injured it carried on doing well - in fact for me Golf was better when he wasn’t about due to the more balanced focus across all the the main players and not just on one player.

No matter what happens today with TW, the damage is done.The American media is now revitalised with the TW obsession which was thankfully fading in the last few years.
I know how good he is/was for the game but wall to wall coverage of TW gets tiring very quickly.
For those who don't agree, take a look at the PGA Tours home page

https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/masters-tournament.html

Thankfully the BBC sports Page has more balanced headlines with a lot of focus on Molinari

What a player he is - just a machine , outstanding off the tee and his putting , out of this world , will be amazing if he wins

Thought the coverage last night on BBC was brilliant - they showed all the players , great shots from all the guys in the mix , it was nothing but golf plus the odd little excellent Ken on the course

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rescued ? Was professional golf “struggling” when he arrived ?

Yes he made it a marketing dream and his arrival helped make rich men richer hence why the pros now thank him but I can’t recall through the 80’s and 90’s the professional needing “rescuing”

So whilst you are he brought in more investment and money - the sport didn’t need rescuing and he isn’t golf. Golf survived before him , did well when he was here and then when he was injured it carried on doing well - in fact for me Golf was better when he wasn’t about due to the more balanced focus across all the the main players and not just on one player.

Thankfully the BBC sports Page has more balanced headlines with a lot of focus on Molinari

What a player he is - just a machine , outstanding off the tee and his putting , out of this world , will be amazing if he wins

Thought the coverage last night on BBC was brilliant - they showed all the players , great shots from all the guys in the mix , it was nothing but golf plus the odd little excellent Ken on the course

Tiger grew golf

He turned it from an elitist sport to a more inclusive sport.

Younger fans, especially from non traditional minority’s took an interest

Can only be seen as a good thing