US Open 2019

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do wonder why McDowell hasn’t taken the time to correct the commentators from both sides of the pond who continue to wrong. I know it may not be how it’s said in England, but the joy of names is that the person themselves gets to decide!
An Irish golf journalist covered this on The Cut this week. The Irish pronunciation is Mac dool, the British version is Mac Dowell. MacDowell has said he is fine with either, it doesn't bother him. As people have been using Mac Dowell for so long he would look a bit of a prima donna if he stamped his foot now. If it bothered him you would have thought he would have corrected it 20yrs ago.

Whatever the pronunciation it has to be better than G-Mac, that is plain embarrassing.

(I've given the Irish pronunciation for everyone else's benefit, not yours. I've never heard it spoken that way before the interview I mentioned on the podcast)

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well played Gary Woodland. I turned off after Brooks finished 7 fully expecting to wake up to him romping to another win but seemed to slow down a bit after that, with Woodland finishing strong. In the last 3 years of the US Open Brooks Koepka has beaten everyone bar Gary Woodland. What a mental, mental record.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
An Irish golf journalist covered this on The Cut this week. The Irish pronunciation is Mac dool, the British version is Mac Dowell. MacDowell has said he is fine with either, it doesn't bother him. As people have been using Mac Dowell for so long he would look a bit of a prima donna if he stamped his foot now. If it bothered him you would have thought he would have corrected it 20yrs ago.

Whatever the pronunciation it has to be better than G-Mac, that is plain embarrassing.

(I've given the Irish pronunciation for everyone else's benefit, not yours. I've never heard it spoken that way before the interview I mentioned on the podcast)

I wouldn’t write it phonetically as Macdool, it’s more like Mc-dole. We’d normally say a more truncated Mc sound, not as a fully formed “Mac” and the Dowell rhymes with toll, not towel or pool.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good to see Woodland finish it off but sad to see Rory and especially Rose fall away. That said good to see McIlroy out two decent weeks together but there remains a question mark for me about him in major competitions with his putting in particular but also the way he seems to make mistakes and bogies where others find a way to save par

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Having had a whopping 3 hours sleep before the school run, I'm now taking the youngest shopping after her and sis convinced me not to cash out.

Gotta say that as much as the leader board got close, until that tee on 17th he didn't seem too flustered. He hit a few iffy drives but always recovered well and didn't drain any real motor putts until the last.

I thought either him or Rose would blow up. Their putting had been superb for 3 days, but of the two Rose certainly played the worse golf tee to green over 4 days.it sure averaging 24 putts a round is doable at the US open. They showed the stats before they all teed off. If Koepka had putted remotely well the first three days I think his name would have been on it again.

Found it ironic how we saw Woods implode through 5 and then not much coverage of the turn around. Maybe he isn't a busted flush just yet 😁😁

Looking forward to the open now. Hoping Xander brings me some more money 🤞🤞

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn’t write it phonetically as Macdool, it’s more like Mc-dole. We’d normally say a more truncated Mc sound, not as a fully formed “Mac” and the Dowell rhymes with toll, not towel or pool.
The journo, RTE golfing correspondent, pronounced it dool as in tool. Apparently the guy knew his dad and that is how he said it. I think it was in ep 2 of The Cut Open specials. They are short versions of the show, 20min episodes. Mac, Muc, Mc, you hear all 3 versions depending on regional variations, certainly in Scotland. There may be a correct version, there may not.

I am only repeating his comments, I've been pronouncing it like everyone else on this side of the water for the last 20yrs.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Fantastic to see Woodland winning yesterday. Very impressed with his whole game and have been for a couple of years now.

Another capitulation by Rory (not surprised) and Rose blowing up was more of a surprise considering his experience and ability.

Brooks made a great run of defending his title and deserves huge credit. Didn't see much of it due to being night shift over the weekend but been catching up on bits here and there and looked like a great US Open.

Course was set up well, and funnily enough the only criticism of the course I've seen on social media has been from a rocket on here. Looks like they got the set up at Pebble Beach absolutely spot on as nobody is talking about penal rough and ridiculous pins.

Wolf

Visit site
The journo, RTE golfing correspondent, pronounced it dool as in tool. Apparently the guy knew his dad and that is how he said it. I think it was in ep 2 of The Cut Open specials. They are short versions of the show, 20min episodes. Mac, Muc, Mc, you hear all 3 versions depending on regional variations, certainly in Scotland. There may be a correct version, there may not.

I am only repeating his comments, I've been pronouncing it like everyone else on this side of the water for the last 20yrs.
I listened to that as well LT the guy mentioned there is another pronunciation of a local MP or someone that has it as McDole but that it was a regional thing and you're right he saod having confirmed it with his Dad theirs is definitely McDool...

Fact of matter is though the player himself said he doesn't actually care and how we've been saying it for years is fine

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Fantastic to see Woodland winning yesterday. Very impressed with his whole game and have been for a couple of years now.

Another capitulation by Rory (not surprised) and Rose blowing up was more of a surprise considering his experience and ability.

Brooks made a great run of defending his title and deserves huge credit. Didn't see much of it due to being night shift over the weekend but been catching up on bits here and there and looked like a great US Open.

Course was set up well, and funnily enough the only criticism of the course I've seen on social media has been from a rocket on here. Looks like they got the set up at Pebble Beach absolutely spot on as nobody is talking about penal rough and ridiculous pins.

I think they got the set up spot on too. If the wind had blown another 5/10mph it would have been real tricky. But after the first day the scores didn't really go too low. Albeit lower than a usual US Open winning score.

Greens were great, if anything I felt some guys got into trouble being too cautious.

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m a bit confused - Rory was 6 behind the leader at the start , went chasing and made mistakes but would have needed to shoot a 64 ? To win - yet he capitulated ? Seriously

Is this how it is every major now ? Regardless of where Rory is if he doesn’t smash it up during the last round he has capitulated ?.

Rose being one behind and then birding the first to level and ending up being 6 behind is a capitulation but then it takes it away from Woodland a bit who won the tournament from the front surely ?

The course was superb - set up well , shame it was West Coast and didn’t get to see much

And shame the TV production was shocking

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a nap from 11 til 1 then woke up to watch the run-in of the last 5 or 6 holes. Brooks just couldn't find the birdies to push Woodland in the end, and Woodland won it in style with that chip on 17 and holing the birdie putt on the last when he only needed a bogey. Fair play to him, it was a pretty flawless performance with only 4 bogeys all week. Takes something special to beat Brooks in a major these days!

Rory with an all-too-predictable horror show on the Sunday. He's really gone beyond a joke now. It was shame Rosey collapsed as well, but @Dan2501 called it a few pages back, the ridiculous putting couldn't hold out when his long game just wasn't quite there.

I know how we love to make everything about Tiger but the will power of the man is just crazy. +4 after 6 on the last day, nothing to play for, nothing to prove, but still turns it around with 6 birdies to finish -2 on the day and for the tournament. Where does he get the motivation? Unreal.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
McIlroy has the best scoring average on the PGA tour this season overall.

He’s tied 33rd for average rounds on a Sunday. That’s out of 207 players.

Let’s drop the lazy false headline that McIlroy capitulates on Sundays. Go look at the stats and you’ll maybe be amazed where some of your heroes are on those two lists.

Wolf

Visit site
So happy Woodland won not only because he pocketed me some cash but also because I like the way he plays the game and think he's a good guy to.

Let's be honest though doesn't matter what other players did, he went out there and he won it through his own good play.

Rose for me ride his luck most of the week missed so many fairways and greens no way could he putt like he did for 4 full rounds. His decision making at times was bizarre as well, the driver at the 3rd, yes he thumped it long and straight but ended up so close he couldn't get any spin so removed his chance of birdie then went and did the same at the 4th sticking it in the fodder. He did well for 3 days but this wasn't vintage Rose, something seems a little off all round with him this year.

Then there's Rory, I wouldn't call it a capitulation at all, he started the day to far behind so had to make a score, the issue I have with him though is when he is chasing he just doesn't make good decisions. All in the run up again hearing from commentators if Rory brings his A game nobody can touch him on any course in any event. I'm sorry but have these people actually watched him in recent years, Rory in a major with his A game vs Brooks with his A game is always gonna finish behind Brooks imo. Brooks didn't have his A game this eek but still finished 2nd.

However congrats to Woodland superb display, the course was perfectly set up and for me the best major of the year so far

Wolf

Visit site
McIlroy has the best scoring average on the PGA tour this season overall.

He’s tied 33rd for average rounds on a Sunday. That’s out of 207 players.

Let’s drop the lazy false headline that McIlroy capitulates on Sundays. Go look at the stats and you’ll maybe be amazed where some of your heroes are on those two lists.
Nobody debating his scoring average, but is he doing those things in majors in recent years including this year No....

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Nobody debating his scoring average, but is he doing those things in majors in recent years including this year No....

I’m pretty vocal against the notion of assigning some kind of god like status on majors as compared to other events so I don’t attach much more weight to them but I also genuinely don’t know the stats around his performance in majors vs other events.

D

Deleted member 15344

So happy Woodland won not only because he pocketed me some cash but also because I like the way he plays the game and think he's a good guy to.

Let's be honest though doesn't matter what other players did, he went out there and he won it through his own good play.

Rose for me ride his luck most of the week missed so many fairways and greens no way could he putt like he did for 4 full rounds. His decision making at times was bizarre as well, the driver at the 3rd, yes he thumped it long and straight but ended up so close he couldn't get any spin so removed his chance of birdie then went and did the same at the 4th sticking it in the fodder. He did well for 3 days but this wasn't vintage Rose, something seems a little off all round with him this year.

Then there's Rory, I wouldn't call it a capitulation at all, he started the day to far behind so had to make a score, the issue I have with him though is when he is chasing he just doesn't make good decisions. All in the run up again hearing from commentators if Rory brings his A game nobody can touch him on any course in any event. I'm sorry but have these people actually watched him in recent years, Rory in a major with his A game vs Brooks with his A game is always gonna finish behind Brooks imo. Brooks didn't have his A game this eek but still finished 2nd.

However congrats to Woodland superb display, the course was perfectly set up and for me the best major of the year so far

Very hard to judge that isn’t it because Rory on his A game hasn’t gone up against Koepka on his A game - Rory’s A game the week before destroyed the field and no one could touch him - Koepka was in the field that day. This season Rory is up with the best - is he top 2 in the Fed Ex - won twice on tour - so yes these people have watched him this year.

But it’s golf - you aren’t going to play your best week in week out and right now he is trying a different schedule to try and balance his form to peak at the right time

I’m not sure why every single time Rory doesn’t win he is gets this same negativity.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have a feeling Rose's hot-streak on the greens might come to an end today and he'll have a frustrating day. Has been getting away with driving it poorly by putting his socks off, very un-Rose like and doesn't feel like it's a trend that's going to last. Wouldn't surprise me to see him shoot around level today and never really look like winning it. Happy to be proven wrong though, would like to see him win it.

Called it. Long game was letting him down all week, was never really in the hunt on Sunday.

Nice to see Tiger finish strong and end up -2 as well, had an absolutely shocking start but -6 thru his last 11 holes of the championship to finish just outside the top 20. Very impressive, but didn't have his best stuff this week.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didn't see the leaders hit a shot last night, off to bed for me. Looking at the scoring this morning only 2 players hit in the 60's all 4 rounds, Woodland and Koepka. I am pleased one of them won it with scoring like that, it shows quality across the week. Fair play to Woodland, it is a scary course and he held his nerve from the front. You also have to have huge admiration for what Koepka is doing at the moment, he is a Major attacking machine.

I'd never really noticed Pebble Beach before, but I now see why it is on most people's wish lists. I'd need a lot of golf balls in my bag that day though. Cracking tournament.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I didn't see the leaders hit a shot last night, off to bed for me. Looking at the scoring this morning only 2 players hit in the 60's all 4 rounds, Woodland and Koepka. I am pleased one of them won it with scoring like that, it shows quality across the week. Fair play to Woodland, it is a scary course and he held his nerve from the front. You also have to have huge admiration for what Koepka is doing at the moment, he is a Major attacking machine.

I'd never really noticed Pebble Beach before, but I now see why it is on most people's wish lists. I'd need a lot of golf balls in my bag that day though. Cracking tournament.
Commentary pointed out that this was the first time ever that somebody had shot four rounds in the 60s in a US Open and not won it.

And never mind golf balls, I'd need a bucket and spade as well.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very hard to judge that isn’t it because Rory on his A game hasn’t gone up against Koepka on his A game - Rory’s A game the week before destroyed the field and no one could touch him - Koepka was in the field that day. This season Rory is up with the best - is he top 2 in the Fed Ex - won twice on tour - so yes these people have watched him this year.
Koepka had had time off, Canada was his warm up for this week because he looks at Majors as his priority. His method and mentality is certainly working. When the course gets tough, when the mental pressure rises, he is there. You have to admire that right now.

I am not one knocking McIlroy, he is still up there time and time again, but Koepka is ahead of him when it really counts at this present moment, You can't argue against 4 out of the last 9 majors, 2nd in another 2 of them, 2nd and contending as well.