US Open 2019

Wolf

Visit site
Very hard to judge that isn’t it because Rory on his A game hasn’t gone up against Koepka on his A game - Rory’s A game the week before destroyed the field and no one could touch him - Koepka was in the field that day. This season Rory is up with the best - is he top 2 in the Fed Ex - won twice on tour - so yes these people have watched him this year.

But it’s golf - you aren’t going to play your best week in week out and right now he is trying a different schedule to try and balance his form to peak at the right time

I’m not sure why every single time Rory doesn’t win he is gets this same negativity.
He gets it because all the hype given to him every major by pundits and then every major he flatters to deceive.

Who cares if Rory can shoot 61 in the final round in Canada last week, pretty sure he cares more seeing another major of average performance for his standard and ability. Yes he is right up there this season for averages but so is DJ, only difference with the 2 so far this year is at least DJ has had a run at 2 majors.

Whether we like it or not his career will be defined by his major wins and performance and for a few years now despite him being talked up every major he hasn't done it. If someone is going to be built up then that also means they can be criticised for then once again getting nowhere near.

As for my A game comment like I said my opinion. Plus let's look at facts of this season alone, Rory may have good scoring averages and Koepka doesn't really go all out in tour events like he does majors but this year in majors Brooks finishes are 2nd, 1st, 2nd which shows he is contending more where it matters to these guys and the history books

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
McIlroy has the best scoring average on the PGA tour this season overall.

He’s tied 33rd for average rounds on a Sunday. That’s out of 207 players.

Let’s drop the lazy false headline that McIlroy capitulates on Sundays. Go look at the stats and you’ll maybe be amazed where some of your heroes are on those two lists.

Nope. Failed to progress once again in a final round and shot over par again. Seeing Rory on the leaderboard on the final round of a major should be frightening players, sadly all he does these days is go backwards on the final day.

Brilliant player and talent, sadly found lacking all too often when the push comes to shove!

D

Deleted member 1147

Brooks didn't have his A game this eek but still finished 2nd.

Koepka's long game was on fire -

SG tee to green: no 1
SG around the green : no 20

It was his putting that meant he didn't win: SG no: 70

Woodland on the other hand was SG tee to green: no 6 & SG putting: no 5 - put those two together and you win

D

Deleted member 15344

Koepka had had time off, Canada was his warm up for this week because he looks at Majors as his priority. His method and mentality is certainly working. When the course gets tough, when the mental pressure rises, he is there. You have to admire that right now.
Don’t get me wrong Koepka is superb and he is doing very well in the Majors , it was supposed to be the warm up for Rory as well - his new schedule of playing the week before a major but players just play what is in front of them. They all will look at Majors as a priority - Koepka is in that stage that we have seen before from players like Rory , Harrington , Speith etc - it’s like they are untouchable and it’s great to watch from them.

It’s the same when Spieth was in his hot streak - he was untouchable and the pitchforks were out for Rory , players like Seve , Faldo etc all went through periods of not winning majors , I bet they didn’t get the overreaction that Rory gets. He will win again - he will get his timing right and it will just click during that major week. The hype is nonsense as is the overreacting of the “capitulation”. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Koepka have a couple of years of just being away from the major challenges soon enough - no player is going to dominate like Woods used to - even if people are trying their best to find a player like that

Wolf

Visit site
Koepka's long game was on fire -

SG tee to green: no 1
SG around the green : no 20

It was his putting that meant he didn't win: SG no: 70

Woodland on the other hand was SG tee to green: no 6 & SG putting: no 5 - put those two together and you win
That's my point didn't have his A game, considering he finished 2nd and was 70th in putting stats.

Personally really glad it was Woodland, I like his game and often follow his results. For me hin winning with Brooks 2nd was best possible outcome this week.

Don’t get me wrong Koepka is superb and he is doing very well in the Majors , it was supposed to be the warm up for Rory as well - his new schedule of playing the week before a major but players just play what is in front of them. They all will look at Majors as a priority - Koepka is in that stage that we have seen before from players like Rory , Harrington , Speith etc - it’s like they are untouchable and it’s great to watch from them.

It’s the same when Spieth was in his hot streak - he was untouchable and the pitchforks were out for Rory , players like Seve , Faldo etc all went through periods of not winning majors , I bet they didn’t get the overreaction that Rory gets. He will win again - he will get his timing right and it will just click during that major week. The hype is nonsense as is the overreacting of the “capitulation”. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Koepka have a couple of years of just being away from the major challenges soon enough - no player is going to dominate like Woods used to - even if people are trying their best to find a player like that

Of course the likes of Seve, Faldo etc even Nicklaus wouldn't have got the same criticism, but that's purely because social media, Internet forums like this and media access to players was nowhere near what it's like now. The more accessible the game has become the more criticism they'll receive. Faldo certainly received a lot of pelters but his was more written press and as golf back then wasn't as big as it is now or as accessible it would still have been a much lesser extent than what Rory gets.

I'd like it if he could win at least one 1 more and hopefully its a masters to compete the set. But way things are with his game this year its certainly more realistic than in other year's. But we have to accept in the modern world the more a player is built up the more people will then bring them back down.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Nope. Failed to progress once again in a final round and shot over par again. Seeing Rory on the leaderboard on the final round of a major should be frightening players, sadly all he does these days is go backwards on the final day.

Brilliant player and talent, sadly found lacking all too often when the push comes to shove!
I literally posted the evidence that proves the opposite of that in the post you quoted.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The comments on Rory are comical.

He is probably having the best season out of everyone bar Brooks.

In 14 events on the PGA tour he has 11 top 10's which include 2 wins.

If that was any other player he would be getting praised for having an amazing season yet for some reason everyone expects Rory to win every single week. It is golf for gods sake, the finest of margins is the difference between winning and losing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The comments on Rory are comical.

He is probably having the best season out of everyone bar Brooks.

In 14 events on the PGA tour he has 11 top 10's which include 2 wins.

If that was any other player he would be getting praised for having an amazing season yet for some reason everyone expects Rory to win every single week. It is golf for gods sake, the finest of margins is the difference between winning and losing.
Not expecting him to 'win every week', but simply to put in a decent Sunday at a major and remain in contention instead of fading away.

Wolf

Visit site
Not expecting him to 'win every week', but simply to put in a decent Sunday at a major and remain in contention instead of fading away.
Agreed nobody is questioning his season in tour events with no pressure, just his performance in majors. 2 very seperate things.

D

Deleted member 1147

Agreed nobody is questioning his season in tour events with no pressure, just his performance in majors. 2 very seperate things.

WTF are you on - he won The Players, one of the most important (& highly pressured) events there is!

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
WTF are you on - he won The Players, one of the most important (& highly pressured) events there is!

As much as the media like to big up the players as the fifth major. When we discuss the greats and most decide between woods or Nicklaus. NOBODY is going to use performances at the players or other prestigious pga events as a decider.

Sunday at a major is a whole different level of pressure/expectation.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Very hard to judge that isn’t it because Rory on his A game hasn’t gone up against Koepka on his A game - Rory’s A game the week before destroyed the field and no one could touch him - Koepka was in the field that day. This season Rory is up with the best - is he top 2 in the Fed Ex - won twice on tour - so yes these people have watched him this year.

But it’s golf - you aren’t going to play your best week in week out and right now he is trying a different schedule to try and balance his form to peak at the right time

I’m not sure why every single time Rory doesn’t win he is gets this same negativity.

For the same reason some over react when Woods appears to be having a bad round.

“And Woods clearly not right - car crash golf at the moment and a big number coming for this round”

The best are held to a higher standard and atm Rory is still in that conversation. 3 more years like the last 3 and I fear he will be spoke about like the likes of Day and Spieth. Rated, more than capable but not really expected to win the big ones.

D

Deleted member 21258

Brooks had four rounds in the 60s and didn't win.

Doesn't happen very often at any major, but would imagine that is even rarer at the US Open.(EDIT just done a google search would appear no one has ever shot 4 rounds in the 60s at US Open and not won)

D

Deleted member 1147

Brooks had four rounds in the 60s and didn't win.

Doesn't happen very often any major, but would imagine that is even rarer at the US Open.

Probably because Pebble was as easy as it gets, for a US Open, as there was no wind

Wolf

Visit site
Is the Players a major? No

Is there pressure on him to win the players Compared to a major? No

Will his career or any other top player be judged on major wins and not players? Yes

The Players I'm a huge fan of but fact is it is not a major and is just Tour event flagship event or not its just a tour event. I'm not critical of Rory in Tour events, just majors..

D

Deleted member 1147

As much as the media like to big up the players as the fifth major. When we discuss the greats and most decide between woods or Nicklaus. NOBODY is going to use performances at the players or other prestigious pga events as a decider.

Sunday at a major is a whole different level of pressure/expectation.

You can't say there is no pressure when someone is playing to win the Players, or any other tournament for that matter

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rory's numbers on Sundays weren't anywhere near as pretty until the 61 in Canada. Take out that round and his 4th round scoring average for the season is 70.45, which would rank him 84th.

For me, I don't think there's a major problem for Rory, he's just not timing his good weeks well enough to peak in time for a major. It'll come though, and another Major win is not far away. He still had a more than solid week and is having a brilliant season. He seemed to finish off The Players pretty nicely, and that is a massive event with a very strong field.

D

Deleted member 1147

Is the Players a major? No

Is there pressure on him to win the players Compared to a major? No

Will his career or any other top player be judged on major wins and not players? Yes

The Players I'm a huge fan of but fact is it is not a major and is just Tour event flagship event or not its just a tour event. I'm not critical of Rory in Tour events, just majors..

"no pressure" is what you said - and it's erroneous to say there is no pressure. It's fair enough to say there is more pressure in other events. But no pressure is a load of rubbish!