US Open 2019

Wolf

Visit site
"no pressure" is what you said - and it's erroneous to say there is no pressure. It's fair enough to say there is more pressure in other events. But no pressure is a load of rubbish!
I know what I said, and I'll stick by it thanks whether you think it's rubbish or not.. Its called an opinion, there is no pressure in my opinion on Rory to win regular tour events because he's not hyped up for those like he is in majors, therefore the only time pressure is put on him buy fans and pundits is the majors and that's where he is not doing it

It hilarious on here sometimes, Woods gets coverage and everyone loses their mind saying he's a car crash etc and that's ok, Rory gets flack for once again not performing up to the build up in hype and suddenly everyone needs to get a grip.

The saddest thing is this thread has lost its was again because some can't accept a few comments about Rory so it then becomes tit for tat instead of discussing what a good win Woodland had at an iconic course in probably the best US Open in recent years...

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Delighted for Woodland, if it wasn't to be Rose or McIlroy I was hoping for Woodland.... but then Koepka started so brilliantly he nearly won me over.

Some of the comments regarding McIlroy would make you believe he's not really that good at all! I understand he's like marmite and for that reason any comment negative or positive gets a reaction, but they don't seemed to be tempered. The double bogey set him back and then he had to be aggressive and it got away from him. In the end he would have needed 8 under on the day to win and that score wasn't out there. But really the conversation shouldn't be about him - I certainly don't think he needs to be over analysed on yesterdays showing. It's funny that the conversation has moved from 'can't do it on a Sunday' to 'can't do it on a Sunday in Major'. But there was no capitulation in my opinion. The capitulation belonged to Rose, not sure why someone 5 shots back draws ire but the guy 1 shot back doesn't. There was chances to put Woodland under pressure as some of the pins did not suit his shot shape and he was forced to play away from the pin (great chip on the green at 17), but nobody capitalized and he was left to simply play sensible golf to see it through. From the position he was in he played a good round of golf.

Also great week for Willett & Wallace & Fitzpatrick and to a lesser extent McDowell, not so much for Fleetwood (has he also capitulated?).

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
You can't say there is no pressure when someone is playing to win the Players, or any other tournament for that matter

I’m pretty sure Woods will have won a few events when he was 6 plus clear from the start of the final round and felt no pressure. It’s all scenario dependant.

A lesser player will feel more pressure during a standard pga event than one of the greats, I accept there won’t be many events where someone will feel NO pressure but I do think the scenario can occur.

D

Deleted member 15344

For the same reason some over react when Woods appears to be having a bad round.

“And Woods clearly not right - car crash golf at the moment and a big number coming for this round”

The best are held to a higher standard and atm Rory is still in that conversation. 3 more years like the last 3 and I fear he will be spoke about like the likes of Day and Spieth. Rated, more than capable but not really expected to win the big ones.

Was that not exactly what was happening with Woods at the time of the comment ? - he was four over after 6 holes and didn’t look right and was looking like he was going to run up a big score - so how is that the same as saying that Rory “capitulated” on the last day or the overreaction you are seeing now about Rory not winning ?

And yes that was my comment and it was very valid at the time was it not ?

D

Deleted member 1147

Too much hype is given to several players, especially when you consider there are now about 100 players who are all more than capable of winning any event, if they play their best.
It just so happens that certain players play somewhere near there best more often than the rest, and are therefore near the top of leaderboards most of the time.

D

Deleted member 1147

I know what I said, and I'll stick by it thanks whether you think it's rubbish or not.. Its called an opinion, there is no pressure in my opinion on Rory to win regular tour events because he's not hyped up for those like he is in majors, therefore the only time pressure is put on him buy fans and pundits is the majors and that's where he is not doing it

It hilarious on here sometimes, Woods gets coverage and everyone loses their mind saying he's a car crash etc and that's ok, Rory gets flack for once again not performing up to the build up in hype and suddenly everyone needs to get a grip.

The saddest thing is this thread has lost its was again because some can't accept a few comments about Rory so it then becomes tit for tat instead of discussing what a good win Woodland had at an iconic course in probably the best US Open in recent years...

I'm as big a fan of Woods as I am Rory - so you can't play the Rory v Tiger card with me. The crap that's put on here about both is ridiculous.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Was that not exactly what was happening with Woods at the time of the comment ? - he was four over after 6 holes and didn’t look right and was looking like he was going to run up a big score - so how is that the same as saying that Rory “capitulated” on the last day or the overreaction you are seeing now about Rory not winning ?

And yes that was my comment and it was very valid at the time was it not ?

Did he run up a high score? Nope. But you couldnt help but predict he would. Not that he might.

My point was simply that lots of people over react, and depending on who you favour, in this case Woods or Mcilroy your outlook will be different.

Wolf

Visit site
I'm as big a fan of Woods as I am Rory - so you can't play the Rory v Tiger card with me. The crap that's put on here about both is ridiculous.
I'm not a huge fan of Rory but that's not affecting my view of him in majors, I'd like see him win more an at least equal Faldo in the majors.

Always going to be a lot said about both due to the hype. If Koepka has a fall it'll happen to him as well no doubt.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Worst aspect of this years US Open, was for me Paul McGinley and his constant inane chatter. Does he ever know that less is more?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Whether you call it hype, capitulation or simply the fact that there are loads of golfers capable of winning a major, but McIlroy simply doesn't seem capable of finding a way into contention in a major these days and then finding something to kick on and win it. Whether that is a problem in his putting, short game, or the fact he leaves himself too far back and has to attack on the toughest course set ups and makes inevitable bogey's or worse is open to debate. In my opinion, while he's still a fantastic golfer as his 2019 record shows, there seems to be something lacking with him at majors

Wolf

Visit site
Worst aspect of this years US Open, was for me Paul McGinley and his constant inane chatter. Does he ever know that less is more?
He is by far the worst thing to happen to televised golf.

He talks absolute garbage. Listened to him on the Cut podcast the other week he really is awful. Even in that he would state something, then avoid the question asked and state the same thing because he literally just spouts the same crap time and again because he has limited knowledge compared to other commentators. The coverage was so much more tolerable from a listening perspective when it was the US guys doing feature groups at least Mark Brooks had an idea what was going on.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hugely impressive from Woodland, especially with the worst case scenario happening early with Koepka -4 thru 5 putting him under huge pressure. Have long been a fan but had got to the point where I thought he didnt have it to get over the line in this sort of situation. His short game is massively improved and the really great thing last night was whilst he hit a few nervy shots (mainly off the tee back 9) not once did he compound an error and his approach play was so solid (compared to Rose who seemed to pretty much mis hit every iron shot).

Nights to forget for Rose and McIlroy, Schauffle and Scott both got on a roll (albeit the one Scott hit OOB was wide even for me!!!) without being able to quite last out the 18 holes pushing hard

Have to give the USGA massive credit for the set up of Pebble Beach (after the stick theyve taken for many recent venues). For me the course set up was almost a blueprint for how courses should be evolving, not overly long but with plenty of shape, doglegs, effective bunkering off the tee and round the green and small targets (which werent overly firm or fast), rough which is penal but not stupidly so

I saw a stat last night that there were 6 par 4s around or below the 400yd mark and all of the played slightly over par for the week!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry but changed that. What on earth is going on with that hair. Is it a syrup or has he gone for the Shane Warne transplant job and did it go wrong?
Don't know, nor care. I didn't watch it long enough to see him on screen. Just listening for 5 minutes was enough to make Ewan Murray or Rob Lee acceptable.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure why people going after Rory in this thread?

He had to shoot a 64 and gambled taking driver off a lot of tees and the gamble didn't work.

Rose on the other hand, that was an awful performance. He got to the front but played awful after, It was amazing the difference in quality Woodland and Koepka showed over Rose.

How many times did rose miss the green by a long way, from perfect fairway lies and less than 150 in, seemed every other hole.

His putting bailed him out big time the first 3 rounds making all those 1 putts, but you can't keep on relying on that, it usually always catches up with you.

D

Deleted member 1147

Not sure why people going after Rory in this thread?

He had to shoot a 64 and gambled taking driver off a lot of tees and the gamble didn't work.

Rose on the other hand, that was an awful performance. He got to the front but played awful after, It was amazing the difference in quality Woodland and Koepka showed over Rose.

How many times did rose miss the green by a long way, from perfect fairway lies and less than 150 in, seemed every other hole.

His putting bailed him out big time the first 3 rounds making all those 1 putts, but you can't keep on relying on that, it usually always catches up with you.

Makes you wonder if he's been neglecting his bread & butter long game while working extra on the putting

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Thing with Rory is that he came into this event in great form.

Over the 72 holes, he could / should have been at least tied with Woodland. Or at least put him under enough pressure to force a mistake out of him and keep him closer to the pack.
He basically got a stroke worse every day (2 worse on Sunday) and shot level par over the weekend.

The most frustrating thing is him getting 2 over par quickly yesterday when other players were making a score in the early holes. Yes - he took the 2nd on with a driver. But if you can't execute it, then you don't get any points for being aggressive.

The other thing was how not surprising it was to see him scramble a par, then make a double bogey at the 2nd.

Conversely - the difference with Rose is that he hasn't shown a lot of form in recent weeks. And even when he was in contention in the 1st 3 days, his long game was poor and his short game was bailing him out to keep his score going. I wasn't all that surprised that having played like that over the 1st 3 days, his game wasn't going to stand up to a Major Championship Sunday.

And credit to Woodland. He shot a great score and held it together very impressively yesterday.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just finished watching it as-live whilst I've been working. Great final round and all credit to Gary Woodland for his performance. Justin just didn't have it but as always, played with such extreme class. And Brooks gave it everything he could have done too.

But there was something way more annoying that Paul McGinley. Those damn Americans screaming out after every tee shot. Cattle prods should be handed to all marshals and used on these morons.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thing with Rory is that he came into this event in great form.

Over the 72 holes, he could / should have been at least tied with Woodland. Or at least put him under enough pressure to force a mistake out of him and keep him closer to the pack.
He basically got a stroke worse every day (2 worse on Sunday) and shot level par over the weekend.

The most frustrating thing is him getting 2 over par quickly yesterday when other players were making a score in the early holes. Yes - he took the 2nd on with a driver. But if you can't execute it, then you don't get any points for being aggressive.

The other thing was how not surprising it was to see him scramble a par, then make a double bogey at the 2nd.

Conversely - the difference with Rose is that he hasn't shown a lot of form in recent weeks. And even when he was in contention in the 1st 3 days, his long game was poor and his short game was bailing him out to keep his score going. I wasn't all that surprised that having played like that over the 1st 3 days, his game wasn't going to stand up to a Major Championship Sunday.

And credit to Woodland. He shot a great score and held it together very impressively yesterday.
Agree with that on Rory. His defenders often praise him for being aggressive and chasing a score on the Sundays, but how can you praise someone for doing something that routinely hasn't worked.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Agree with that on Rory. His defenders often praise him for being aggressive and chasing a score on the Sundays, but how can you praise someone for doing something that routinely hasn't worked.

It's not that it hasn't worked, or that it's the wrong strategy- it that when it comes down to it there's an execution problem.

Similar thing in Canada. He was on to shoot 59 and then dumped it in a bunker, short side on 16.
59 watch is off, and the pressure drops.
Then flags a 200 yard approach for eagle at 17. 59 watch back on.
At 18, dumps it in the bunker again.

Personally feel there is something about his game that doesn't stand up to pressure.

Maybe you're right and he does need to play a bit more conservatively and build a score over 4 days. At a major, the scoring is never usually that crazy, so over 72 holes - you take out the unforced errors by being a bit less aggressive, make your score on the par 5s and you'll be there or there abouts.

Clearly it's not his style, but its worked for plenty of Major winners.

Wolf

Visit site
For those of you with access to Instagram. , this is well worth a look. Shows what a great guy Gary Woodland is. We're all aware of his meeting with his fan Amy at Pheonix Open. But all credit to him he had kept in contact with her and held a facetime call with her post his US Open win.

Top bloke