US OPEN 2021

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Really looking forward to this as Dave Coupland has qualified.

I hope that the USGA really make the course rock hard and the rough is up.

Only downside is that its a West Coast event whihc means that its a late one!

I'm going Bezuidenhout, Spieth, Lieshman and Koepka

waiting till ive seen at least 3 videos of someone dropping a ball into rough and it disappearing and them claiming its the worst rough ever before making my picks ;)

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
waiting till ive seen at least 3 videos of someone dropping a ball into rough and it disappearing and them claiming its the worst rough ever before making my picks ;)
Xander says "hold my beer"...

I've listened to so many pods telling me how TP has been butchered by dodgy course architecture decisions that it might start to compromise my enjoyment.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've listened to so many pods telling me how TP has been butchered by dodgy course architecture decisions that it might start to compromise my enjoyment.

TP was never a great course. Fantastic scenery and ocean views but a sloggers course with too many unimaginative holes. A bit like The Belfry except that doesn't even have the scenery. I used to go to San Diego quite often on business and always took my clubs, but even though the office was practically opposite for a while, TP was never on my list of planned courses. You can still have a great US Open, though. You can have drama with 2 players shooting out on any course.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
TP was never a great course. Fantastic scenery and ocean views but a sloggers course with too many unimaginative holes. A bit like The Belfry except that doesn't even have the scenery. I used to go to San Diego quite often on business and always took my clubs, but even though the office was practically opposite for a while, TP was never on my list of planned courses. You can still have a great US Open, though. You can have drama with 2 players shooting out on any course.
Agreed. After all, the last open here was not lacking in entertainment.
It's a real shame about the layout though, as a great publicly accessible course in the US is like hen's teeth compared to over here.
And I really am not a great fan of chopping out of thick rough around greens, which is barely even one dimensional golf when compared with the challenges of tight lies and interesting topography.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As posted on another thread

Normally par 72, it will play to par 71 at the U.S. Open; only Tiger Woods and Rocco Mediate were under par in ’08

Never sure if the US open is a great watch or not but I will still watch it.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Really looking forward to this as Dave Coupland has qualified.

I hope that the USGA really make the course rock hard and the rough is up.

Only downside is that its a West Coast event whihc means that its a late one!

I'm going Bezuidenhout, Spieth, Lieshman and Koepka

Here’s the great man with another big hunk of love

Attachments

• 9E7FC166-8299-41AC-AA42-2B87A3B23254.jpeg
    9E7FC166-8299-41AC-AA42-2B87A3B23254.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 35

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right, I've done basically no research at all and popped bets on Morikawa, Zalatoris, W.Simpson and C.Smith. Tried to pick good ball-strikers I guess. I actually think Rahm will win but he was only 9/1 so sod that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't care who wins as long as they group Koepka and DeChambeau together for the first 2 rounds. That would have to be on the featured groups coverage!
I think it's too early in the story arc for that. The writers will probably chuck in another year of build up before they play together in the Masters 2022.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The PGA Tour is really playing this up, aren't they? A cynic might think it is a bit contrived to bring clicks and eyeballs to golf over the summer.
Stupid to waste the clash on a Thursday. Much better to leave it and hope they end up pairing on Sunday.