The US Open coverage in Europe

Hoganman1

Visit site
Hello all my Euro-friends. I hope you all are well and getting ready to watch the US Open. I realize there will be issues with the time zones since you are eight hours (or more) ahead of San Diego. I remember being in England back in 1997 and watching Ernie Els win after midnight. Anyway, hopefully you have video recorders and can stay away from internet coverage until you're able to view. While the US Open has fallen to my fourth favorite major (The Masters, The OPEN and the PGA being 1,2 and 3), I still enjoy watching. I think the USGA has made a move away from making the venues nearly unplayable. It was getting boring watching these great players grind out pars during five hour rounds. Hopefully, this year will be interesting. I'm really pulling for Jon Rahm after what happened to him at The Memorial.

UPDATE: I posted this before I saw the video of Schauffele trying to chop it out of the rough. I stand corrected on my comment about the USGA moving away from unplayable.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We watch it live if we have the appropriate station subscription and can keep our eyes open at the closing stages:sleep:

Never seen a US Open without long grass. It has always been reckoned that the USGA think par is a good score

Normally par 72, it will play to par 71 at the U.S. Open; only Tiger Woods and Rocco Mediate were under par in ’08

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Clearly East Coast less of an issue than West, but I'll stay up and watch if its a close finish, or if a Brit is in contention.

Five and a half hours for two balls doesn't help. Maybe if they played practice rounds , they wouldn't need to stand pondering on each tee for 10 minutes before pulling out a club. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Bit further east for me so its a 6am finish for coverage of first two days then 4 or 5 am for the last two (depending on pace)

I'll get up early morning and catch last hour or two live rather than stay up late, then watch the 1hr highlight shows each day

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The old US Opens in the 80s and 90s were often awful, with courses where the rough was hideous and players plodded 2 irons off the tee and had to hack out if they missed a fairway. I just watched the 2006 US Open highlights where Geoff Ogilvy won and Monty and Phil had disasters. It was just not fun viewing, either then or earlier this morning.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I actually like the fact that it's difficult for them, I'd choose that over them shooting -18. As long as it's not too silly to the point that there's too much luck involved.

Also the timezones should work out perfect, just means I can switch over after the last Euros match of the evening. (y)

sunshine

Visit site
I actually like the fact that it's difficult for them, I'd choose that over them shooting -18. As long as it's not too silly to the point that there's too much luck involved.

I agree with this. The PGA Tour is often a birdie-fest, I like the fact that one week a year it is super tough.

They say this every year, they said it about Kiawah this year for the USPGA, but a few players always manage to break par every round.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hoganman1...Don't take offence, but a slight correction to your list would let it read ( the Masters, THE OPEN and the PGA being 1,2 and 3 )!
Apart from the typo, who would you put your bucks on??

Hoganman1

Visit site
Hoganman1...Don't take offence, but a slight correction to your list would let it read ( the Masters, THE OPEN and the PGA being 1,2 and 3 )!
Apart from the typo, who would you put your bucks on??

No offense taken. You're correct. It should be THE OPEN. I've actually attended all of the majors but THE OPEN multiple times. The plan is to complete my major fan slam in 2022 at The Old Course. Our trip will include playing Carnoustie too.
As stated I'm pulling for Jon Rahm, but if forced to place a wager I would probably pick Justin Thomas.

Hoganman1

Visit site
Well I'm watching the early third round and nothing much is happening. A few guys are under par for the day, but no one is making a move. I understand the USGA wants it to be difficult to define the best players, but it's not very entertaining. There are two more hours before the leaders start their round. I may find an old movie to watch until then. Maybe tomorrow will be better. I agree that we don't want a birdie-fest. However, this is basically a bogie-fest.
Rory just stepped up on the first tee. Maybe he'll get something going to keep me from switching channels. I'm glad THE OPEN is only a few weeks away. I love watching that in the early morning.

Hoganman1

Visit site
I realize a lot of you (if your old like me) are getting ready to hit the hay, but it's getting better now that the leaders are out. Rory is only three back.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I realize a lot of you (if your old like me) are getting ready to hit the hay, but it's getting better now that the leaders are out. Rory is only three back.

I've managed until midnight but I'm on the tee at 8.30 am tomorrow. Enjoy your viewing!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
pictures are great, sadly the commentary unbearable. putting some music on for the back 9 as cant listen to the garbage that comes from coltart, mcginley, dougherty and friends any more

dull golf course but set up well for a major and should get a decent finish, not sure it would be on a top 100 course i want to play list though