Is there a worse area than Milton Keynes to be a golfer????

Warbur

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm a member at Bedfordshire (Stagsden) and love it there. I live just a couple of minutes from Collingtree but am more than happy to drive the 25 mins to Bedford.

Northampton is just as bad, if not worse, than MK for options. I was at Kingsthorpe for a few years but when I decided to move I found choice was pretty poor.

From my experience go with a club you're happy at - so what if you're in the car an extra 10 mins to get there. I've been making the journey to Beds for 2 years now and have no regrets.

More than happy to invite you over for a game if you fancy a look round. Being on the side of a hill it's generally a little windy but thats part of the charm.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i would also add that its worth traveling to a course that offers everything. i live about 5 mins walk from a parkland course in Inversneck, but choose to drive for 30 mins to Nairn, as its the best course around here.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i would also add that its worth traveling to a course that offers everything. i live about 5 mins walk from a parkland course in Inversneck, but choose to drive for 30 mins to Nairn, as its the best course around here.

several of the courses mentioned are comfortably over 30 mins drive and certainly not in the same bracket as Nairn!!!! the other big issue for me is bar woburn none of the others even within 30 mins drive are what i would call stand out options

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
several of the courses mentioned are comfortably over 30 mins drive and certainly not in the same bracket as Nairn!!!! the other big issue for me is bar woburn none of the others even within 30 mins drive are what i would call stand out options

just join woburn and be done with it ;D

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

Where do you play at the moment Fundy?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
long wait list, too corporate, too pricey and an absolute certainty if I did cough up the fees my knee would go the following week lol

(me thinks someone just wants the members guest invite ;) )

I actually have access as guest already :D the whole place is exceptional but i get the cost element. you'd need to play at least twice a week to get value.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

i suppose for you down there with traffic, 10 miles could be a 30 min drive, i think Nairn is about 19 miles each way.

how long to get into Woburn?

before i got into Nairn, i was member at Tain which is 40 miles away and made that trip at least twice a week

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I actually have access as guest already :D the whole place is exceptional but i get the cost element. you'd need to play at least twice a week to get value.

If I joined Id be playing far more than twice a week!!!!!

Part of the issue re the fees is that we are a bit nomadic as a couple and its highly likely we wont be based around here more than a few more years, so anywhere with a joining fee basically prices itself out because that fee wont be spread over enough years golf to make it worthwhile

Was talking to a 19yr old 1 hcap at our place at the weekend and he approached them and was told wait would be over a year still

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Was talking to a 19yr old 1 hcap at our place at the weekend and he approached them and was told wait would be over a year still

could that just be for the 1 handicap.

i know Inverness GC has a 7 year waiting list, but if you are low... less than 2 they more or less let you straight in

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
i was surprised he couldnt get in instantly and assume the general wait list is longer yes

I thought he was already in. Did you and I and he not have a conversation about his duel membership thing and him say how cheap it was and so on in the car park one day. Was that somewhere else he has joined as well?

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hmm 31 mins and 19 miles to Woburn for me :eek:... About how much is it? is one a member of all the courses or is it each one separately?

D

Deleted member 15344

The joining fee is about £6000 now , yearly it's just under £3k

Waiting list is all subject to who you know

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I thought he was already in. Did you and I and he not have a conversation about his duel membership thing and him say how cheap it was and so on in the car park one day. Was that somewhere else he has joined as well?

No that was him considering there, and about every other course within an hour of where he lives, but not actually pulled the trigger on anywhere