The ooh, that's a daft score thread

wjemather

Visit site
No-one deserves to be branded a cheat out of ignorance and jealousy. Exceptional scores happen, especially in a better/best-ball, where dovetailing matters just as much as scoring really well on few holes. There is rarely anything untoward when it happens, with handicaps or otherwise.

A few weeks ago at our place, a pair playing off 3 and 5 scored 49 points. They were counting 2 bogeys (including a 3 putt), so that could (should) easily have been 51 (or more). They made 10 birdies between them, with none on the same hole and individually would have scored no more than 38-39 points. Nothing wrong with either players handicap or their ability to count the number of strokes correctly or their adherence to the rules.

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
Be very interesting to know what their handicaps were before and after!

I'll message my mate who is a Weston member to see if it was him!🤣🤣🤣
HIs for the 4 players have come down by between 0.3 and 1.0 (one had a counting score dropping out of the most recent 20); from just 9 counting holes it's very difficult to reach the threshold for an ESR - likely at least one would have triggered it if they had ignored instructions and recorded both players scores on a few holes where they had the same Stableford score.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don’t think that some of these 4bbb scores are that exceptional and certainly not cheating. I played recently and me and my partner both individually scored 30 points. Because we dovetailed nicely when one of us had a shocker, we scored 39 as a pair so in this format it is quite easy to score mid 40s and higher.

AussieKB

Visit site
I played in a four where we had a local fill in for 4BBB with my mate, they won the event and he played off 15, IMHO he was 12 or lower easily, then mentioned that he won a 4BBB the previous week, but he did not play in the main event a singles the following day last week or this week, says it all really.

I was pleased for my mate to win but how many honest golfers were cheated ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played in a four where we had a local fill in for 4BBB with my mate, they won the event and he played off 15, IMHO he was 12 or lower easily, then mentioned that he won a 4BBB the previous week, but he did not play in the main event a singles the following day last week or this week, says it all really.

I was pleased for my mate to win but how many honest golfers were cheated ?
There lies the problem for me.
A lot of “honest golfers” have seen the sandbaggers winning everything so have decided to up their handicap all perfectly within the rules of course.

I have heard “I’ll have to get a few shots back to make myself competitive again” almost every week.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
A lot of “honest golfers” have seen the sandbaggers winning everything so have decided to up their handicap all perfectly within the rules of course.

I have heard “I’ll have to get a few shots back to make myself competitive again” almost every week.

There will always be those that defend the WHS to the hilt and have buried their heads in the sand when it comes to issues that it’s great

The EG app especially has allowed it to be open season for anyone who wants to manipulate their handicap in either direction

We have all seen the players who have suddenly wiped the board winning events all over the place after the handicap has travelled upwards

There was a group that cleaned up across spring winning big opens that a number of us have played in

I can’t ever recall teams getting 50 points when it comes to 4BBB but we all know there are people out there putting cards in to get that index higher .

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

But probably just said in jest and not acted upon

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Two of my mates won this year’s Cleeve Hill Open Better Ball with 47pts…indeed their marker thought they had 48. The weather (wind) was incredibly difficult yet they had the most astonishing good luck, as well as both playing pretty well (not great) but dovetailing well. And I know that as me and another mate made up the four ball. It was freakish.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There are plenty that know they have a great score coming out of their top “20” so they put a card in to get it out increasing their HI
So you are saying that they should never put in another card to keep the great score? Either you want people to put in cards or you don’t - you can’t keep flip flopping to suit your pint of view.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
So you are saying that they should never put in another card to keep the great score? Either you want people to put in cards or you don’t - you can’t keep flip flopping to suit your pint of view.

No I’m saying that people know when a good score is coming off and that their HI will change so they get one in before a comp knowing the HI will increase giving them a better chance in the comp

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our Gents Betterball Open earlier this month was won with 50 points. The guy who got the cut had a calculated gross 83. In his previous 10 rounds, all his scores were over 100.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No I’m saying that people know when a good score is coming off and that their HI will change so they get one in before a comp knowing the HI will increase giving them a better chance in the comp
And they get a shot, maybe 2 at best but very likely it will make little or no difference to their playing handicap. Do people really think that this small increase will mean they are closer to winning a few quid in a competition so willing to risk being labelled a cheat? Some people can make a conspiracy from any situation

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
And they get a shot, maybe 2 at best but very likely it will make little or no difference to their playing handicap. Do people really think that this small increase will mean they are closer to winning a few quid in a competition so willing to risk being labelled a cheat? Some people can make a conspiracy from any situation

Yes that’s exactly how people feel and seen it done , getting 2 extra shots for some could well make the difference when it comes to winning

But they can’t be classed as cheating because they are just doing what the APP allows them to don

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes that’s exactly how people feel and seen it done , getting 2 extra shots for some could well make the difference when it comes to winning

But they can’t be classed as cheating because they are just doing what the APP allows them to don
But what are the chances of someone getting 2 shots? I can’t do the maths to work out how many shots worse a score would need to be from the ‘great’ score it would replace to go up 2 shots. I have gone up 0.7 this summer (in steps) and I don’t receive any more shots so I can’t think how great this score would be that would result in a 2 shot increase in playing handicap

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
But what are the chances of someone getting 2 shots? I can’t do the maths to work out how many shots worse a score would need to be from the ‘great’ score it would replace to go up 2 shots. I have gone up 0.7 this summer (in steps) and I don’t receive any more shots so I can’t think how great this score would be that would result in a 2 shot increase in playing handicap

It will depend on the level of good score coming off

The point is that it’s very easy to manage and manipulate

Some don’t put in GP scores when they are playing well for fear of going down and some put them in to get them up

It’s a system that easily manipulated

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
50 points is ridiculous , something has gone very wrong if people are getting 50 points

People have their “good day” once in a blue moon but 50 is stupid , bordering handicap cheating
Me and my PP won a betterball open a couple of years ago with 49pts. My PP (off of around 23) had the round of his life and would have scored around 45pts on his own. I only came in on four holes. Sometimes you just have to accept that someone played an exceptional round.

I played in the competition at Cleeve Hill that SILH and his friends played in last month. The wind was really up and I couldn’t see anyone beating 42-43pts, but they legitimately scored 47pts.

Yes, there are a few that manipulate their handicaps, but I don’t think that it’s as widespread as many make out. Often it’s just sour grapes from those didn’t win.