The ooh, that's a daft score thread

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Are some of these scores the result of many players' handicaps becoming "free" from the previous system's slow increase and freezing?

Last edited:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had a 22 handicapper hole out for an eagle 2 on our SI 3 15th today.

Gross 2
Nett 0
Stableford Points: 6
Thats nowt.... I witnessed an albatross, for the first time when a HI12 had a 2 from yellows on our par 5 15th. Used to be Par 4 until we standardised the tees. Was still a very good Driver, 7 iron..... but with these kind of changes is more likely to happen.
I guess there is all sorts of reasons but our Leeds Golf Union had one of the most remarkable results for a B/Ball when in a field of 51 pairs, 50pts won just ahead of a 49. 48, 47 & 5x44pts with 16 pairs having 42pts or better & 42 pairs having 36pts or better.
Since CR-Par our LDU events are rarely won with more than 44pts so I don't know what happened on that day as I wasn't involved.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Daft scores I understand, daft scores from daft handicaps I don’t. Our club stableford comp today. Not one single figure handicapper in the top 10.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Daft scores I understand, daft scores from daft handicaps I don’t. Our club stableford comp today. Not one single figure handicapper in the top 10.
September Sunday Medal at my place. Won by 7 handicapper with a nett 65, then SF guys in 8, 10 and 11th places. Suggests things are pretty fair for the SF guys at my place.

IanMcC

Visit site
We had a seniors staBleford comp back in April when the old codger in second place went out in 13 points and back in 16 points. (me)
To be beaten by an even older coffin dodger who went out in 10 points and back in a totally outrageous 19 points.
28 idiots turned out in the most awful conditions. Scores were so daft, it was made non-qualifying for handicaps.

View attachment 55066

I may have misunderstood the purpose of this thread.
:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Apologies if its a joke above. I think it must be, but have to check. (I do see the smileys.)
Making a comp non qualifying after the event starts seems a big no no to me. Before play, yes, if playing conditions are awful, but deciding this purely on scores attained seems very wrong indeed.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We had a 22 handicapper hole out for an eagle 2 on our SI 3 15th today.

Gross 2
Nett 0
Stableford Points: 6
Somebody at my club got 7 points on a hole a few months ago. New member, handicap of 40, jarred his second shot on the stroke index 2 par 4 7th hole for an eagle. He was receiving 3 shots, so that would be a net.. err... whatever is one better than a condor?? 😮

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is this because the single figure players aren’t putting enough cards in so maintaining vanity handicaps that aren’t reflecting their current playing standard?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Is this because the single figure players aren’t putting enough cards in so maintaining vanity handicaps that aren’t reflecting their current playing standard?
Am not to sure, I know a few of the lads who finished between 11-20 position and they are genuine players. One in the scratch team playing off 1, there were 4 players from 11-20 in single figures.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
But what are the chances of someone getting 2 shots? I can’t do the maths to work out how many shots worse a score would need to be from the ‘great’ score it would replace to go up 2 shots. I have gone up 0.7 this summer (in steps) and I don’t receive any more shots so I can’t think how great this score would be that would result in a 2 shot increase in playing handicap
Easy - for a HI to go up 2 shots, the score differential that drops out, needs to be 16 (yes, 16) better than the one that replaces it ...)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Apologies if its a joke above. I think it must be, but have to check. (I do see the smileys.)
Making a comp non qualifying after the event starts seems a big no no to me. Before play, yes, if playing conditions are awful, but deciding this purely on scores attained seems very wrong indeed.
I think it may have been non-qualifying from before the start - I have simply blotted out most of my memory of it.
It was April and we might have been pick, clean and place in the general area.
Anyway, I got some pro-shop credit for finishing second place and £9 for a 2, so it was worth turning up for.

Four weeks later 21st May when we still had placing on closely mown, we had a comp with a PCC of +3.
23 entered and the winning nett score was 2-over par.
I was 12-over par and got a score differential of 7.0

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
I played in a four where we had a local fill in for 4BBB with my mate, they won the event and he played off 15, IMHO he was 12 or lower easily, then mentioned that he won a 4BBB the previous week, but he did not play in the main event a singles the following day last week or this week, says it all really.

If he was playing in the 4BBB he probably didn’t have time to play again the following day. More likely he has commitments in his life other than golf, things like work and family, explains why he is off 15.

If he’s having a good day he would look better than 15. My last 20 scores range from 78 to 98, on the same course. If you played with me on either of those rounds you would be questioning my handicap (for different reasons).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If he was playing in the 4BBB he probably didn’t have time to play again the following day. More likely he has commitments in his life other than golf, things like work and family, explains why he is off 15.

If he’s having a good day he would look better than 15. My last 20 scores range from 78 to 98, on the same course. If you played with me on either of those rounds you would be questioning my handicap (for different reasons).
Agreed. I'm a much better player in betterball or scrambles since it negates my three weekly blow-up holes that are keeping me at 15 hcap.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just saw a notification from my “other” club that the winning score in yesterday’s comp was 45 points from a 15hc.

I played the course later yesterday and given the conditions and how quick the greens were running that is some shooting. I can imagine a few raised eyebrows in the clubhouse when that came out.

BridgfordBlue

Visit site

Yep I think people forget just how much peoples scores can fluctuate, particularly in the double digit handicap bracket.

It’s partly why I’d like to see less penalty strokes in golf in general.

PaulMdj

Visit site
We had a WoW day yesterday, Par 70, Strokeplay comp, winning score nett 58, guy off 26 played to 14, but also had 32 guys out of 113 shoot nett 69 and under.

Weather conditions were not the best, cold and damp with moderate winds.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thats nowt.... I witnessed an albatross, for the first time when a HI12 had a 2 from yellows on our par 5 15th. Used to be Par 4 until we standardised the tees. Was still a very good Driver, 7 iron..... but with these kind of changes is more likely to happen.
I guess there is all sorts of reasons but our Leeds Golf Union had one of the most remarkable results for a B/Ball when in a field of 51 pairs, 50pts won just ahead of a 49. 48, 47 & 5x44pts with 16 pairs having 42pts or better & 42 pairs having 36pts or better.
Since CR-Par our LDU events are rarely won with more than 44pts so I don't know what happened on that day as I wasn't involved.
We've changed our 18 from a par long par four, to slightly longer but now par five. Birdies are common now. Our star player, +4, has got a few eagles. I have actually reached it in two, so with a bit of luck and the flag in the right place a two could happen.