Weston Super Mare GC - A Grand Day Out

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Some of you may have seen my thread the a few days ago - Nearly ready to be let loose on the links.....

For those of you that didn't see it, I was basically gearing up my first round on a links course (Weston Super Mare GC) on Tuesday 9th September.

Anyway, living in Brum means a good few hours drive to a links course. So, we set off at around 9:30 ready for our 12:30 tee off time. We arrived at Weston Super Mare GC at just before 11:30 leaving us a good hour to warm up and get into 'golf mode'. After a quick bite to eat in the car we went into the Pro Shop just to let the pro we had arrived (we had already booked and paid for the round via TeeOffTimes). The round had cost us £25 each through TOT, compared to the £60 quoted by the pro over the phone! The pro we spoke to was friendly enough and we had a brief chat about the course, what to expect, and I purchased course planner at £4.50.

Across the car park, there were two nets we were able to use too loosen up, however there was a larger practice area which was a short drive up the road. Anyway, we stuck to the amenities that were on site. A short walk away behind the clubhouse, there was a two tiered putting green which we made the most of, knowing that the greens were going too be fast! Walking past the clubhouse we were greeted by some friendly members who were pleasant and welcoming! I popped for a loo break and then it was time for our 12:30 tee off time............

Onto the first and a 346 yard, par 4. It had two fairways with rough in between. I decided to lay up to the end of the first fairway, leaving me a 7 iron into the green. I left my second shot well short and a little to the right, leaving me with a chip up and a two putt resulting in a bogey on the first. Which I was happy with. It had already dawned on me the need to quickly work out the pace on these greens and where to land the ball with the short game..........

Onto the second and after a lovely drive that had plenty of 'links roll' I ended up taking 5 from around 150 yards which I was disappointed with!!

On the 3rd I got my first par of the day. The hole played as a nice 141 yard par 3. I took a 9 iron to about 12ft of the hole and I was able to two putt for a nice 3.

The 4th hole was the only hole all day to cause a problem. It played slightly different to what was on the course guide, with the apparent wall which was in the guide, wasn't what we saw from the tee. It did mean that it played with the yardages a little bit as we wasn't sure if the 'wall' was on over the other side of this mound we could see from the tee. Anyway, I took a drop shot on this hole after a poor approach shot went OOB. After a nasty first putt, I managed to settle the nerves and come off with a double bogey 6, but it could of easily been much worse on that hole.

DSCF4230.jpg
Teeing it up at the 6th hole.

Moving on to the 7th, I found myself in a nice links, 'pot hole' bunker! A par 3 playing a 135 yards, I took a 9 iron and dropped it right into the middle of the bunker.
DSCF4234.jpg
DSCF4241.jpg
DSCF4242.jpg
I managed to get out the bunker and two putt for a 4.

On to the 8th and the first par 5 of the day. Playing relatively short at 446 yards. I took a fairway wood, and then a gentle hybrid to the left side of the green leaving me with an eagle putt. The challenge I was then faced with made me appreciate what they had done to make this par 5 tough..... (I thought the hole was an easy scoring hole too soon...) I had at least four downhill contours to contend with. Anyway, I 3 putted here for a par. Disappointed I couldn't make the most of two good shots into the green!

I finished the front 9 with a par (4), and a score of 44 in total.

Onto the back 9 and I started with a bogey 5 at 10 'The Clubhouse'.

The 11th was quite a tough Par 3, playing at 190 yards. I took a 6 iron and landed it about 15ft past the hole, leaving myself a downhill putt for birdie. Here I came away with another good par.

Moving onto 13, another par 5, playing as 448 yards. Here I managed a second GIR on a par 5. Another tough green, with many undulations. Here I two putted and secured a first birdie of the day!

On 14, (my favourite hole of the day) a lovely par 3, playing at only 116 yards.......
DSCF4252.jpg
DSCF4255.jpg
DSCF4258.jpg
The green was guarded by three deep bunkers. I took a PW and landed my ball safely at the back of the green about 20ft from the hole. I was able to two putt here and get another par for the day!

The 15th had been modelled on the 'Road Hole' at St.Andrews and played as a 449 yard par 4. 6 shots later (including a drop) I came away with a double bogey, but a challenging hole none of the less.
DSCF4261.jpg

16 was a 176 yard par 3, which again I managed to par with a nice up and down after missing the green left side.

Hole 17, 'Tiger Line' got the best of me, and I came off here with my worst score of the day: 7. I went out of bounds off the tee and struggled to get going on this hole.

Onto the last, and I managed to spank a drive straight down the middle, leaving me with about 160-170 to the flag.
DSCF4264.jpg
DSCF4265.jpg
I hit a 7 iron, which came up short in the first real bit of wind we had all day, and so I was able to get up and down from here to finish the round with a par, a back nine score of 41, and an 85 in total.

To sum up, a thoroughly enjoyable round on the links costing only £25, at a great venue, with friendly members. The course was in immaculate condition and the greens were fair, fast but also challenging. I WILL CERTAINLY BE BACK FOR MORE!

Grantley1988

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played here a month or so ago. My first links course too. We booked through tee off times for £25 so good vfm. I really enjoyed it. Shot 78 so was bound to be happy with the course really! I would definitely play there again, only downside I thought were the par 3's not very challenging especially the two short holes.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Glad you had a fantastic day. How did you find it and did the breeze (it looked a nice day but sure it must have blown) make a difference to your club selection

Homer, there was hardly any breeze at all. We did concede that this probably made it a little easier, and we would like to return and play it when the wind is blowing to see how differently it plays! The actual firmness of the ground and greens made me consider club selection like never before - deciding where to land the ball with what distance and how much roll etc.....

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I played here a month or so ago. My first links course too. We booked through tee off times for £25 so good vfm. I really enjoyed it. Shot 78 so was bound to be happy with the course really! I would definitely play there again, only downside I thought were the par 3's not very challenging especially the two short holes.

I enjoyed the par 3's, mainly due to how protected some of them were with the bunkers.

D

Deleted member 15344

Being the place where my parents now live it's my only real links test

Decent course is good condition but certainly needs the wind to defend itself

Glad you had a great day

Certainly a home from home for people from Brum or Wales :D