Got lost on the course

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So today I turned up at College Pines golf club just south of Worksop. Quite frankly it was the best £20 I have spent for a round of golf. The course was bone dry, we could not believe the run we were getting on the drives. I was talking to lads from Sheffield, Rotherham,Derby and London. The guy from London said “ when me mate from Derby said we Are playing a course for £20 I thought it would be a dump” he also mentioned it would cost a fortune to play a course like that down South.
Apparently the original owner died a couple or three years back and the course was bought by a member. Membership is full. I can understand why. It is a hidden gem.
I loved it, well until our fourball took a wrong turn after a par three and went from the 5th to the 10th hole. Whilst walking down the 10th me and a PP were saying “ it’s 650yds to the pin on the Garmin”. We played the 10th, then the 11th par three and i was moaning as I had a nearest the pin and they had not left the markers out so I promptly made one with “ Tash” proudly written on it. I walked to the next tee and said “ what the hell this is the 12th 🤬 It was nigh on a 1000 yard walk back up hill with a bag on me back. Suffice to say when I got to the 6th tee I was absolutely cream crackered. Not only that the two fourballs and the final three ball in our fuddle had gone. We tucked in behind two 2 balls and they were seriously slow.It was painful. But it was nowt to do with them. It was our fuddle three ball they were shockingly slow. Suffice to say we were the last in. The fact that 16 lads clapped us onto the last green showed the guys had noticed we had screwed up. 6.3 miles later I dropped my backside in a chair and Could of collapsed.
I don’t know if I was gutted we missed a wrong turn, or me nearest the pin was chalked off or the fact some of our fuddle need to look at there pace of play.
Apart from that it was a very good day out. Bondhay on Thursday and looking forward to that.
Oh ah, the lady in the shop asked if we had a good time. I mentioned we had got lost. She said “ you’re not the first and won’t be the last. Odd thing is you can see some tees 20-30 yards from the 5th green, but they are the 10th. The 6th tee is through the woods about 80-100 yards away but there is no sign saying 6th tee this way.
Anyone else got lost on a course.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Took a wrong turn at Rockcliffe the one time I've played it. All that money spent there and they couldn't afford a few arrows pointing towards the next hole 🙄. There are some long walks between holes so correcting it wasn't quick.

Also played into a completely wrong green at Matfen Hall once, only realised when the group actually playing that hole were walking towards us as we were putting out. They're coming from the wrong direction I thought, and then realised otherwise 😄

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I'm sure some of you are familiar with El Chapparal on the Costa Del Sol. We had some non golfing mates come round the front nine with us when we played there a few years back. When they saw the halfway house, they decided to stop for a pint.. We completed the round - no sign of the three lads that had stopped off. We're sat on the mini bus back to the hotel, driver getting impatient as he had a group to pick up from the airport - after waiting about half an hour, and probably 3 hours since we had last seen them, the lads appeared in the car park - "thought we were sleeping in the woods... we've been right down by the dual carriageway.... couldn't find our way back etc...."

So when we set off down the road from the clubhouse and after about 200 yards drove past the halfway house, well, we had a little laugh about it...

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Taking a wrong turn and missing some holes out is understandable.
What's not is playing the same hole twice in the round and not realising until we got halfway down the fairway. All four of us teed off without noticing. After a while there was a muttering of "this looks familiar".
It was quite a few years back, and afraid I can't remember which course it was.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Taking a wrong turn and missing some holes out is understandable.
What's not is playing the same hole twice in the round and not realising until we got halfway down the fairway. All four of us teed off without noticing. After a while there was a muttering of "this looks familiar".
It was quite a few years back, and afraid I can't remember which course it was.

We were playing in the peeing rain at princes

All teed off on 18

I hit my best two shots of the day

Turns out we had replayed the 9th

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Took a wrong turn at Milford. In my defence it was thick fog and we were a society and the only ones on the course and no-one had played there before. It shouldn't have been open or we shouldn't have been let out.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I was playing at Newbiggin by the Sea on a Sunday afternoon, I was the only one on the course, there are a couple of tees very close together on the back nine, they go in different directions, I took the wrong one.

One time four of us were playing Spey Valley and we thought we had got lost walking to the second tee, it's that far away we thought we must have missed it.

Last edited:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are a few courses I’ve played once and probably wished that I’d got lost on the way there. 🤣

A society day at East Dorset once and the first group missed out a couple of holes. They played 8 and then moved straight across to 11 which is a par 5. Even though their GPS was telling them that the green (9th) was getting further away they carried on. One of them actually thought that his GPS had broken.

D

Deleted member 35504

I can understand walking the wrong way off a green, but how do you tee off on a wrong hole?
Each tee has markers on it with the hole number, distance etc...

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I can understand walking the wrong way off a green, but how do you tee off on a wrong hole?
Each tee has markers on it with the hole number, distance etc...
If I remember correctly, my experience at Newbiggin was one large tee bed with two sets of tees at 90 degrees to each other and the markers were not very helpful, early in the round I do remember having difficulty finding a green, it was at 90 degrees to the fairway and in a hollow.

sjw

Visit site
I absolutely would've got lost at Mill Green - I hadn't updated my GPS watch and at some point in the recent past they've swapped the front and back 9s! Thankfully I was there as a guest

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
in all seriousness its easy to do on some courses. our Jolly a few years ago playing Panmure half us had never played it before. on the front 9 must have been 6,7 or 8 th group in front of us played to the wrong green where 3 lots of fairways crossed. wasnt till we got to the green and the group in front was marching back after getting to the next tee an realising it was the wrong hole.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have done this a few times. The first time we played Aldenham, after the 9th green we turned right and found a tee that said 10, all three of us teed off. Halfway down the fairway I looked at my GPS app and knew something was wrong. It turns out we'd teed off on the 1st of their 9 hole short course - the sign on the tee box actually said 1/10 for when you play it twice. In fairness, there is a sign by the 9th green pointing you left towards the 10th tee but it had fallen face down in the wind.

Played a nine hole with my wife the other week at Wheathampstead, and on one hole we were on the correct tee, but played the opposite way by mistake and hit towards a completely different green. I took a 7 iron because my app is telling me it's 150 yards, then I was baffled when I came up 40 yards short. Worst thing is this was not the first time we'd played the course, it was the second time. :LOL:

I can remember another time playing Uxbridge donkey's years ago - it's a cheap council course with 12 holes. We took a wrong turn after the 7th (I think) and ended up playing 11 and 12 - I think the tee marker saying '11' must have been missing, but having played the 11th and found ourselves at the 12th tee, we decided to just continue to play the 12th and then go back to play the missing holes afterwards.