Warning opponent group ahead may be too close!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
This is one of the causes of slow play. If I see people in front waiting too long I like to roll a ball up close to then.
That will speed them up I say to my playing partners
Sometimes balls disappear or find bad lies though. In some cases, a ball can even find its way back to you. Best not to risk it.

RichA

Visit site
...He stopped addressing the ball and then hit after a minute when the group ahead had cleared but duffed his drive - he then blamed me for ‘bad form’ stating he was a 5 handicapper who knows how far he hits the ball. I thought I acted in good faith to ensure safety of players ahead and at least not to press them unnecesarliy. Ps we were 2 up with three to play and won the hole!
Thoughts please!
I think you should have said, "Well now we all know how far you hit it," laughed and told him to stop being a dick.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is one of the causes of slow play. If I see people in front waiting too long I like to roll a ball up close to then.
That will speed them up I say to my playing partners
Your that good you can roll a ball up to them with perfect yardage as to not put them in danger?

Tell that to the judge when you get it wrong.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In 4BBB our opponent had honour - he was a 5 handicapper who can drive 250+ there was a slight headwind and 4 ball ahead were being held up by a slow group ahead of them (we had already spoken to them to establish this). The group ahead were c240 yards ahead. I thought a good drive would reach or at least bounce within 20 yards so I said to me opponent ‘Jim but hadn’t you better hold on a bit … sorry!’ He stopped addressing the ball and then hit after a minute when the group ahead had cleared but duffed his drive - he then blamed me for ‘bad form’ stating he was a 5 handicapper who knows how far he hits the ball. I thought I acted in good faith to ensure safety of players ahead and at least not to press them unnecesarliy. Ps we were 2 up with three to play and won the hole!
Thoughts please!
He's a prima donna.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
In 4BBB our opponent had honour - he was a 5 handicapper who can drive 250+ there was a slight headwind and 4 ball ahead were being held up by a slow group ahead of them (we had already spoken to them to establish this). The group ahead were c240 yards ahead. I thought a good drive would reach or at least bounce within 20 yards so I said to me opponent ‘Jim but hadn’t you better hold on a bit … sorry!’ He stopped addressing the ball and then hit after a minute when the group ahead had cleared but duffed his drive - he then blamed me for ‘bad form’ stating he was a 5 handicapper who knows how far he hits the ball. I thought I acted in good faith to ensure safety of players ahead and at least not to press them unnecesarliy. Ps we were 2 up with three to play and won the hole!
Thoughts please!
He sounds like a nob tbh, a 5 handicap but still can't take ownership of his bad shot?

You did right - if you see him again, point out to him the following:

1. Only a cretin hits a golf ball whilst the group in front are still in range. No exceptions, no excuses.
  2. If he takes a look inward, he might realise why he is still a 5 and not a 0
Happy to help.

Bobthesock

Visit site
That must be easy to judge two groups in front.😉

I guess firing a ball at the green while they're putting will also help speed up play.🙄
I never said I fire at the green when putting. I I have say 230 to the front on a par 5 I will go though. My 3 wood carries about 200 off the deck so it might trickle up there close.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Sorry if he’s your mate,but he sounds like a bit of a 🔔.
“I’m a 5 handicapper”
Mate you’re not Tommy Fleetwood 😬

If he’s that good why was it a problem to simply re address the ball & smoke one down the middle to his exact yardage?

Mandofred

Visit site
This comes up pretty often.....I just tell the person to hang on.....no hurry. Likely just the course is just bunged up and there will be slow play anyway. NOBODY likes balls dropping right behind them even if you KNOW you can't hit it that far. Balls landing 20 yards behind you can be a bit upsetting and just unnecessary.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
We had this two weeks ago. A young lad joined the old fella's behind us and hit the ball miles, he went through us twice. When they arrived in the clubhouse I complimented him on his golfing prowess, mentioned him playing through us and told him if it happened again he would be disappointed when he couldn't find his ball, all in a friendly way with a smile on my face.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last Saturday, on the second green, one of the young guys behind us hit into the green where I was just about to putt. No shout of Fore! Ball missed me by less than 3 feet and stopped a few feet further on. The pitchmark was directly behind my head from where he played. I was so affected my 15ft par putt rolled all of 4 feet!!

Having finished the hole our 4-ball moved off but I waited beside the green to have a word with the culprit. His excuses - "I only hit a wedge from 150", "The group behind are pushing us", "I was trying to lay up".
Who tries to lay up when the green is comfortably in range?

After pointing out that, at the very least, a shout should have been given and that I wouldn't tolerate any further similar instances I got a mumbled "Sorry!".

On the positive side, I used that incident to justify my utterly abismal play that day:sneaky:.
Ffs, where have you been hiding wee man, welcome back.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We had this two weeks ago. A young lad joined the old fella's behind us and hit the ball miles, he went through us twice. When they arrived in the clubhouse I complimented him on his golfing prowess, mentioned him playing through us and told him if it happened again he would be disappointed when he couldn't find his ball, all in a friendly way with a smile on my face.
I must admit I have wedged a few balls OOB that have been driven too close to me.
In my defence, I would've needed a drive, a 3wood and a wedge to return it .
These guys know exactly how far they can hit a ball.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What he said is probably correct in his head about his skill as a golfer.
But he’s wrong to blame you for a safety aspect, that’s sour grapes imo.
He should know better ,even 5 caps make mistakes.

I have been hit and knocked out by a golf ball and it’s not pleasant.

Ditto, and according to various scans it’s a good possibility that’s what’s caused my epilepsy. Hit at 16yrs old, developed epilepsy although mild by my 17th birthday.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This comes up pretty often.....I just tell the person to hang on.....no hurry. Likely just the course is just bunged up and there will be slow play anyway. NOBODY likes balls dropping right behind them even if you KNOW you can't hit it that far. Balls landing 20 yards behind you can be a bit upsetting and just unnecessary.
Exactly what I say and do. No rush…let the group putt out or play their shots and get out of range of our likely distance before we play.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ditto, and according to various scans it’s a good possibility that’s what’s caused my epilepsy. Hit at 16yrs old, developed epilepsy although mild by my 17th birthday.
Jeez that’s not good.

I was very lucky had vertigo for a few months.
But ok now.
I do have a soft spot in my skull that the doc said will never harden again 🙈

As has been said “ I do get very nervous if people start landing balls short of greens while I’m putting”
These people obviously never had a flyer.

It’s just bad manners and arrogance of the highest order imo.
Just wait your turn!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Spot on.

Red devil

Visit site
Thoughts please!
If there was just the very slightest chance that the ball could hit someone surely on the grounds of public safety it's only right to pause before taking your shot. I've had concussion in the past due to a head injury and it's not pleasant.
When your PP mentioned the number 5 are you sure he was referring to his hcap and not his age because his attitude seems very childish to me.