Warning opponent group ahead may be too close!

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
If a ball lands near me because someone’s played to soon. I put it my bag and take it with me. Then when they ask for it back (no one has yet) i have a very educative talk prepared for them.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If a ball lands near me because someone’s played to soon. I put it my bag and take it with me. Then when they ask for it back (no one has yet) i have a very educative talk prepared for them.
People do sometimes misjudge distances. On an unfamiliar course it can be difficult and occasionally people make mistakes I don't think stealing their ball does anything to encourage manners on a golf course.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Maybe its just where I'm used to but I don't think showing extreme rancour or stealing balls is very productive.
It tends to provoke defensive anger rather than better behaviour.

I personally have not found balls hit from behind potentially dangerous other than on blind holes where the hitter has been unaware of the presence of others. Balls that are coming in at speed and a height that are a potential danger are almost invariably mishits from adjoining holes in my experience.

Balls that have been hit from behind maybe unnerving when you hear them but they have arrived behind me and have usually taken an unexpected jump forward with the momentum removed by hitting the ground.

The last chap to hit a ball past me was a junior in a match when I was approaching the green on a par 4 the ball had traveled over 350 yds and had clearly taken an unexpected leap forwards . He was most apologetic and had clearly not anticipated hitting it that far it was a very impressive shot indeed. Rather than being angry I let him play through.

I am not defending people playing when others are clearly in range but the vast majority of times I expect it is a truly unusual hit or a complete lack of judgement of distance on an unfamiliar course. Stealing their balls and getting angry with your fellow golfer is itself discourteous.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Jeez that’s not good.

I was very lucky had vertigo for a few months.
But ok now.
I do have a soft spot in my skull that the doc said will never harden again 🙈

As has been said “ I do get very nervous if people start landing balls short of greens while I’m putting”
These people obviously never had a flyer.

It’s just bad manners and arrogance of the highest order imo.
Just wait your turn!

Rule of thumb, if the noise of it landing would rattle me then it would rattle them.

I’m all for “ keep with the group in front “ but sometimes you can be uncomfortably close

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
People do sometimes misjudge distances. On an unfamiliar course it can be difficult and occasionally people make mistakes I don't think stealing their ball does anything to encourage manners on a golf course.
No-one’s ever done it twice. Maybe they judge it better after.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't know why there's any debate.
Common sense should tell you, if you think it's not safe, wait.
I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise.

The original posting was about someone getting angry after waiting when it was suggested . Other postings have been about what to do if a ball does come close.
I don't think anyone thinks you shouldn't wait, on an unfamiliar course with varying wind speeds occasionally errors of judgement are possible.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was going to say. That's a bit drastic for the first instance - I'm sure we've all had a shot that unexpectedly flew or rolled an extra 30 yards on us. Only after two or three instances would you start thinking about taking action like that. E.g. I have kicked a ball into a ditch before, I won't lie, but that was after the third time a group hit into us.

Bobthesock

Visit site
Do that at my course and you wouldn't be playing golf for the foreseeable future

mister v

Visit site
Back to the OP. you were spot on to mention the group in front were in range. "i wont reach them" is fine until they do.... and then it can become a serious problem. Im sure if Mr 5 hcp had the ball landing by / rolling up to him he'd be very vocal on the situation.