Got lost on the course

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
At Tobermory GC, the first is a blind tee shot over a ridge. I could see a marker post so took a battered six iron from my mix-n-match bag of ancient, borrowed clubs and whacked one fairly straight. Walked up the hill and found my ball, but then had no idea which direction to hit my second shot. Had to shout across to some people on a parallel fairway to ask which way the green was. Bearing in mind this was all open, hardly a tree in sight. Got round in the end and it was very picturesque.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
A couple of years ago we played the Red at Frilford Heath, we finished 10 in the rain and I followed my mate to the “11th“ tee, which was actually the 13th, we Knew something was up when the GPS watches gave some funny readings, but only knew for sure when we got a couple of holes down, no idea why we didn’t check the markers! Luckily is was quiet and we just walked back and played the holes in order - I’ve played it a few times before so should have known.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We missed out 14 and 15 at Sheringham when on tour a few years back.
In our defence, it was a grim day with a brisk easterly delivering a combination of low cloud, murk and spray/ drizzle. Once we found out we couldn't be bothered to trek back with a hot shower and bar beckoning.
Apart from a 5 mile strip along the east coast, it was mid 20s and sunny everywhere else.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not exactly getting lost but playing to the wrong green yes.

First time I played Bridport (old layout with yardage books etc). I was playing to a green just over a low mound , only flag I could see, when I got to the green there were 5 balls on it.
There were some gents just coming to the green from another direction.

"your green is around the corner of that tall mound" they let me know .

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where I play often visitors will go from the 4th green to the 12 tee, despite there being a map on the card an a signpost for the 5th behind the green.
I have had to redirect several groups over the years including once having to wait for one group to get to the 12th green to tell them.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Where I play often visitors will go from the 4th green to the 12 tee, despite there being a map on the card an a signpost for the 5th behind the green.
I have had to redirect several groups over the years including once having to wait for one group to get to the 12th green to tell them.
To be fair, any course where you have to cross the road during your round is nuts anyway :ROFLMAO:

sjw

Visit site
First time I played my course I accidentally went from the 7th green to the 9th tee. It was a combination of looking at the GPS watch, the sign on the tee and struggling to work out which hole I'd missed on the scorecard before the pieces lined up!

Also, when I was playing Hillsborough. The 6th tee and 8th tee are right near each other, and right near the 7th green. So when I holed out on the 7th, I looked up, saw a tee box, thought it was the 6th that I'd already played, and off I went, toddling DOWN the 8th fairway, looking for the 8th tee. I was wondering what all this unused land was, when I realised I was getting closer to the green. So I turned around, backtracking, still convinced that it was the 6th tee I'd seen, so I kept looking around for the 8th tee. Eventually I admitted defeat and went back to check, and there I found the missing tee.

I was playing alone, so I was quicker than the group behind, but I certainly felt the pressure after that! Don't think anyone saw me, though. Imagine walking down the fairway you're supposed to be playing, looking for the tee box 🤦‍ At least I'd got a look at the landing zone for what otherwise would've been a blind tee shot! ;)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be fair, any course where you have to cross the road during your round is nuts anyway :ROFLMAO:

Yes

I am also reminded of a story once told to me about a society playing Worplesdon who finished their round on West Hill after crossing the Guildford Rd.

PS the reason we have have it is because the course was built in two different decades. The current holes 5 - 11 were added in 1936-38 to the existing course built in 1920.
We once tried to buy the land adjoining the 12th but it became too expensive a proposition, the farmer went as far as asking for £66k when farmland was £2k an acre.

Visit site
Go lost at Royal North Devon. Hit a good shot onto the green only to discover I'd played it about 45 minutes before.

Any ideas which hole you were on? It’s been a few years, but can’t think of where that could have happened 😂 I do recall 1 hole which is a dog leg left where the fairway isn’t really visible, maybe the 11th/12th?

Took a wrong turn at Milford. In my defence it was thick fog and we were a society and the only ones on the course and no-one had played there before. It shouldn't have been open or we shouldn't have been let out.

Was this at the turn where you cross the road for a few holes and then cross back over? I believe they’ve now closed those holes so issue solved!!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ripon. Played first then 10th.

But back to original post. "you're not the first and won't be the last" ? If they know there is a problem, why not put better signage up? Or am I over thinking this?

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m not saying anything … I once mentioned on here that I nearly got lost at Cuddington as the signage was poor and another member got very indignant. How dare I suggest such a thing! Wonder if he’ll bite again 🤔.

Visit site
I was out at South Moor last week, the usual p.m. tee time when it is quiet. Played the 6th and crossed the bridle path to the 7th. Not a care in the world and no-one around, just how I like it. I placed my ball to tee off on the downhill par 4 7th toward the car park and at the top of my back swing, 3 blokes appeared out of the trees, bags in hand 100 yards further down after a fruitless search for a lost ball. An aborted tee shot, startled looks and off they toddled, playing the 7th as their 18th. The 18th is the other side of the bridle path. I then sliced my drive on to said path having parred the first 6.