Minimum golf?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just how little golf is enough to fill your bug?

We all love golf but time seems to be the most valuable thing in life and golf takes up a lot of it.

Weekend rounds in the 5 hour region, weekdays you need 3-4 hours plus travel

9 holes is a great way to keep the addiction going in winter

But just how little can you consider yourselfs?

My wife has just taken the kids out for a playdate. The mums need a mums chat so I was told just be taxi. New Scotty is here so I thought head to head on the putting green.. see which suits compared to the 2 ball.

That turned into a chipping contest then putting 2 with each putter from the best chip.

Problem is the putting green is next to the 10th hole. The 11th loops back to basically the 10th tee

Nobody coming down 9. Why not?

Quick 2 holes. .. 2 putts with each putter for real world results

Par 4 and par 3

I really enjoyed it.. I'd do it after work for sure as course is on Way home. Wouldn't take 30 mins..

In today's busy world a quick 2 holes seems a nice little game.

I mean I'll enjoy 18 tomorrow 😉 but today certainly will boost my mood.

Anyone do similar?

(Scotty won the putt off)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the least holes I would play is 6 otherwise it's not worth the drive. And that's with me only like 7 minutes' drive from the course. I have gone down and just used the practise putting green for 20 minutes and then gone home again before though. It's just two holes on the course - it takes me longer than that to get warmed up so no point really. I've done 9 holes in one hour at my course before (if nobody is in the way), so 2 holes would be barely any time.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Has to be a minimum of 9 holes at my home club. Otherwise I'd rather work on my short game, putting or hit balls on the range. If it is late in the evening and quiet I can do 1-3 and 7-9 or if no-one is coming round 1-3 and 18 if I really fancy a few holes

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has to be a minimum of 9 holes at my home club. Otherwise I'd rather work on my short game, putting or hit balls on the range. If it is late in the evening and quiet I can do 1-3 and 7-9 or if no-one is coming round 1-3 and 18 if I really fancy a few holes

Have to admit I hit 1 drive then 2 balls from there. Then 4 putts on that hole (4 balls not 4 putts lol) 2 with each

Par 3 just 4 tee off. Best two.. putt with each putter from there

Various chips on par 3 to give it a different chance. Spent about 10 mins on that green was empty
I think the least holes I would play is 6 otherwise it's not worth the drive. And that's with me only like 7 minutes' drive from the course. I have gone down and just used the practise putting green for 20 minutes and then gone home again before though. It's just two holes on the course - it takes me longer than that to get warmed up so no point really. I've done 9 holes in one hour at my course before (if nobody is in the way), so 2 holes would be barely any time.

I think the window of already being out the house helped

Picking the girls up now so had. 2 hour window

After work I'd drive past the course so after an early if I'm not getting the girls sounds a quick 2 might work

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm only a couple of minutes away from the golf club so occasionally 6 holes of an evening works though I prefer more.
A five hour round and I would give up and go home if it was my own club, I have done on quicker rounds than this when stuck behind a society outing.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am lucky in that my course loops around on itself quite a bit so could just do 1-4 and be back at clubhouse. Could also do front 9, 1-10 then 17/18, miss out 13-15 and a few other combinations which don't involve any long walks between holes, or cutting across holes. Quite handy if you get bored, held up or it gets dark

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Sometimes play 1-8 on the big course, 1 to 13 on the short 18 hole course, or just a quick nine on the par 30 course - which takes about 75 minutes. One of golf's biggest problems is the time it takes to complete what is considered to be a standard game of 18 holes.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did 6 on Saturday and was quite happy with that. 9 would have been ideal, I'm not bothered about a full 18 in winter, but 6 got me out, swinging a club and content.

I wouldn't join a club that didn't loop back to the clubhouse after 9 at least. I had a year at one that didn't allow for this, I didn't enjoy it. I like being able to play smaller rounds at times.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I did 6 on Saturday and was quite happy with that. 9 would have been ideal, I'm not bothered about a full 18 in winter, but 6 got me out, swinging a club and content.

I wouldn't join a club that didn't loop back to the clubhouse after 9 at least. I had a year at one that didn't allow for this, I didn't enjoy it. I like being able to play smaller rounds at times.

I'm the same - if it's cold and the ground is muddy, I'm really not fussed about playing 18 holes. Couple of hours on the course a week through winter is enough for me, plus with other commitments it's difficult to find enough daylight to get 18 in, especially in the depths of winter.

DonRixon

Banned
Visit site
I rarely get the urge or the time to play less holes than 18. Playing golf alone just does not appeal to me in the slightest.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am lucky in that my course loops around on itself quite a bit so could just do 1-4 and be back at clubhouse. Could also do front 9, 1-10 then 17/18, miss out 13-15 and a few other Combinations which don't involve any long walks between holes, or cutting across holes. Quite handy if you get bored, held up or it gets dark

Yeah ours has nice little layouts that you could do 1 2 then back to 9

10 and 11 loop but then 12 whilst goes away it has a nice path back to the clubhouse that is for the greens staff so easy walk
I rarely get the urge or the time to play less holes than 18. Playing golf alone just does not appeal to me in the slightest.

I always used to be like that, most of time I can rock up at the club and 4 days of the week I have a group to play with.

However I don't mind 9 on my own to practice. Beats the range for me

HeftyHacker

Visit site
My former club is a 25 min drive away - it used to be about 20 mins before the local traffic "improvements" were made so 50 mins driving for an hour/9 holes of golf seemed a waste.

Now looking at joining a club that is at worst 10 mins drive away and has far better practice facilities so could see myself nipping there a bit more often.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
2 min drive to club and both loops start/finish at the clubhouse

I need to pay greenfee which can be 9 or 18 but I don't play 9, its gotta be 18 holes or my time is better spent on the practice ground

Albo

Visit site
For me 5 hour rounds just don’t happen, if I have 2 hours I can play 18 holes comfortably assuming nobody or very few out in the course.
I try and play/practice as much as I possibly can, played 15 on Thursday and range at lunchtime, 18 Friday and range at lunch time, 22 on Saturday and 28 on Sunday and I’ve been to the range again this lunch time.
Course was pretty busy on Sunday so those 28 holes took me about 5 hours with a 30min break while finishing my first 13 holes and waiting for a playing partner to arrive to do the next 15.
I’ll go out and play every chance I get, I’m fortunate to have an understanding wife!
Current club is about a 5/10 min drive depending on traffic, I’m also planning on joining one that’s 30/40 mins away but has much better practice facilities, my plan there will be to spend more quality time when I go out, use the facilities, play a full round without rushing etc, but keep the current club on as I can still do my quick golf there (sometimes I’ll drop one of the kids off for footy training, drive to the course, play 4 holes and go pick him up again).
As for playing on my own, yes I do so, more often than with others. As I said I play an awful lot finding golfing partners for the amount of golf I want to play at the times that fit my life is impossible

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With the course a 25 min drive away, 9 (10 due to the layout) is the minimum really.

Yeah see my course is 10 mins away on average so if I'm down there using say the putting green or the short game area if the 10th and 11th are free it's almost worth a practice 2 just to tie it all together

Beats the range!

rystaman

Visit site
Yeah see my course is 10 mins away on average so if I'm down there using say the putting green or the short game area if the 10th and 11th are free it's almost worth a practice 2 just to tie it all together

Beats the range!
It doesn't help that my preferred range is also 25 minutes away as the course and range are around the corner from each other, before I moved it was like 15 maybe?