Consecutive Par 3's

HeftyHacker

Visit site
At 208 I bet half of the people can't reach it, senior or not.
Most will still pull out a 3 or 5 wood though as it's a par 3 🤣

Our second is 200 and generally into the prevailing wind to a green that's only about 8 or 9 yards front to back... I've found that in firm conditions on a windy day the best play is usually a little punchy driver that hopefully scoots up the last 20 yards or so of the uphill approach.

In soft conditions on a windy day I just accept a bogey is a good score and hope for the best 😂.

Bobthesock

Visit site
Our second is 200 and generally into the prevailing wind to a green that's only about 8 or 9 yards front to back... I've found that in firm conditions on a windy day the best play is usually a little punchy driver that hopefully scoots up the last 20 yards or so of the uphill approach.

In soft conditions on a windy day I just accept a bogey is a good score and hope for the best 😂.
Knott end? Whatever you do don't go in the bunker to the left!
The back to back par 3s there are decent though!

D-S

Visit site
I played Churston GC in Devon a couple of years ago. It starts with a flat 239 yard par 3 off the white, a mere 231 off the yellows stroke 11. Not the easiest way to ease your way into the round.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
We had back to back par 3s at my club up until recently, they've removed the second one, which was my favourite, and turned it into a short par 4. I'll wait until it's properly in play to give judgement.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Wouldn’t bother me what the run of holes were.

An off the cuff thought; if you have consecutive par 3’s, why not turn two of the par 3’s into a par 4?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Wouldn’t bother me what the run of holes were.

An off the cuff thought; if you have consecutive par 3’s, why not turn two of the par 3’s into a par 4?
You cant because the tee for the second is not near the green for the first...see psot #13 for how the new hole fits in to those around it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Par is just a number anyway. As I've mentioned before - when I watch my wife play (she's approx 40-45 handicap), the par is irrelevant to her really. When I see a 220 yard par 3 as a nightmare hole, she just sees a hole that much shorter than a lot of the other holes. I wish I could take a bit of the viewpoint into my game sometimes, but par is lodged into my brain!

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
So..as i said...i'd be quite happy to lose the second, even though we would be losing 50 yds off the course length, primarily because it gives future options to extend the first.

The image below shows the first three holes, red arrows indicating current lines of play. By taking the second hole out of play as it is you have the potential to extend the first....playing from the current tee to the second green would result in a par 5 opening hole of around 610yds (currently 490). The second green would need a bit of restructuring so that the bunkering was relevant for an approach shot coming in from a different approach angle and distance but its all something that could go on without any impact to play. Now, I view 600+ yd par 5's with as much disdain as I do 200yd par 3's....so a compromise could be made by building new tees on the first and playing as per the blue line....could be a par 5 of roughly 550yds.

Alternatively (and this is pie in the sky thinking due to costs) there could be the option to build a brand new green in the vicinity of the yellow circle.

There are plans afoot to build new tees for the third, which would add roughly 40yds to the hole with play roughly in the direction of the blue arrows.

Finally, removing the second, would allow an extension to the 18th, with the tee being pushed back by 50yds or so, without risk of being hit from tee shots from the 2nd. Even if the 2nd green is used for the 1st hole the approach will be from "wide right" so wouldnt endanger players on the 18th.View attachment 51434
Plenty of options there. Cost will be the big driver on this. I do like the option of making 1 a long dog leg. Old 1st green could be a practice option. I would keep 3 as is but maybe create that back tee for big comps. Longer 18th looks like a good option too.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Plenty of options there. Cost will be the big driver on this. I do like the option of making 1 a long dog leg. Old 1st green could be a practice option. I would keep 3 as is but maybe create that back tee for big comps. Longer 18th looks like a good option too.

3 is a short hole...currently 310yds....little more than a drive and a flick with a wedge. It would be more interesting with an additional 40 yds added to it and the view from an extended tee (back left as indicated) gives a much better visual of the hole in front of you. Though there would need to be some re-sculpting of the current 2nd green to improve visibility of the landing area for an extended tee shot which would be into a semi-blind valley.

Likewise 18...its only 323 yds and recent work has removed the lake around it and one of the front bunkers....its now pretty flat and defenceless....I think all at the club agree that an extra 40 or 50 yards would help.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
3 is a short hole...currently 310yds....little more than a drive and a flick with a wedge. It would be more interesting with an additional 40 yds added to it and the view from an extended tee (back left as indicated) gives a much better visual of the hole in front of you. Though there would need to be some re-sculpting of the current 2nd green to improve visibility of the landing area for an extended tee shot which would be into a semi-blind valley.

Likewise 18...its only 323 yds and recent work has removed the lake around it and one of the front bunkers....its now pretty flat and defenceless....I think all at the club agree that an extra 40 or 50 yards would help.
Nothing wrong with a short fiddly par 4 to create chaos early in the round. I bet plenty of folk have a mare on there with OOB right and the trees left. Some will even have a pop at it as it stands.

Extending 18 is a must though.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Nothing wrong with a short fiddly par 4 to create chaos early in the round. I bet plenty of folk have a mare on there with OOB right and the trees left. Some will even have a pop at it as it stands.

Extending 18 is a must though.
Oh yeah...with the prevailing wind against and off the left and the fact that the land tends to send balls to the right then OOB right is a common destination for golf balls. Its a nice hole but visually it would be more appealing if played from a different angle on occasion.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played Churston GC in Devon a couple of years ago. It starts with a flat 239 yard par 3 off the white, a mere 231 off the yellows stroke 11. Not the easiest way to ease your way into the round.
Stoke 11 on a 230 yard par 3!!!!! And the starting hole!!!! That's ridiculous.

Reactions: sjw

OntheteeGavin

Visit site

just read on the other thread, things are changing!

Like the idea of removing the 2nd and reworking the 1st & 18th. What was the thinking about removing the lake and bunkers from the 18?

I'll come up late summer if all these changes happen. Will be interesting.

Which club has increased fees significantly?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
just read on the other thread, things are changing!

Like the idea of removing the 2nd and reworking the 1st & 18th. What was the thinking about removing the lake and bunkers from the 18?

I'll come up late summer if all these changes happen. Will be interesting.

Which club has increased fees significantly?
The lake was simply hugely expensive to run, keeping the pumps going to keep it clear simply cost so much money...and even then there were issues with algae that simply couldnt be solved.

The bunker I'm not so sure about....but given that there is now no penalty for being long (i.e. you are not in the pond) folks can be a bit more aggressive with their approaches so are less likely to find the front bunker....not sure the total removal was a positive thing....maybe a bit of resculpting...making it smaller and maybe a bit deeper....but there you go...its done and if they push the tee back to result in a longer approach shot then perhaps it doesnt matter quite so much.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At one of my old courses we had a 330 yd gathering downhill par 4, followed by an uphill 182yd par three to a tiny green in a hollow, followed by a 130 yd par 3 to a small green built into a hillside.
You could go 3x2, 3x3, 3x4, 3x5 on any round.
Perhaps the par 4 was the easiest hole.
Used to make or break a round. I recall scoring seven consecutive 3's finishing with those holes in the middle.