Your Best Ever 'Money' Shot

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One and only one please.

Mine was at the RAC Club early 1970's.
Captain and Greenkeeper sponsored event.

The hole was around the turn and was a shortish par 5 made shorter by playing off a forward tee, ironically due to greenkeepers work.
Captain played off 7 handicap and I was off 2. Stapleford foursomes.
We were going well when The Captain hit a mighty long slice which finished on the adjacent tree lined fairway.
The shot options were playing backwards about 100 yards and being stymied with the next shot because of the dog leg.
Or a Money shot totally blind over the trees to a green where we could only guess its where abouts. [nether of us had previously played the course.]
Trouble was I had to get the ball up quickly and hopefully have enough puff to carry the trees and, due to the angle, play a 30/40 yard draw.
I Hit an absolute corker and we looked at each other in relief.
Our PP's could be heard shouting from the proper fairway.
Made our way to them to see the ball not only on the green but a couple of yards from the pin.
Captain popped it in for a nice 5 points
We finished with 45 points which did not even merit a prize. :D

Last edited:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Mine was a p/w shot, i was in semi rough behind a big tree around 90 yards to the green, opened the club face and ball forward in my stance and the ball cleared the tree and landed 6 foot from the hole.

A rare perfect shot for me, I think that’s the one shot that has given me the most pleasure on a golf course.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I still think the best shot ive ever made was in a pairs match last year.

Playing with my dad against a mate and his PP who were both off 8 at the time. They had a 3 hole lead after 3 holes, started birdie, birdie, birdie!

We ground it back to all square after 7 and after a bit of back and forth by the 12th we were 1 up.

12 is our longest par 4, I was in the greenside bunker for 2, one of them was on the back of the green for the same.

Long story short, a beautifully struck bunker shot, pops up, lands, spins and rolls back into the hole for a birdie 3 and won I the hole.

Match ended on 17th with a win for us, going 2 up on 12 was key in that - and bragging rights over a mate are always great fun.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Actually a fairly recent shot.

Par 3. Missed green to the left. Ball sitting in cut rough but pretty dense and ball sitting down but able to get club to it OK. Greenside bunker between ball and flag.

Near lip of greenside bunker 3-4 paces away. Flag centre of green but only maybe only 6-7 paces from green side edge of bunker. Quite severe downslope from bunker, through fringe and down to the flag. Wide open 58* and fired it way up in the air. Ball landed very softly on fringe, and bit, then rolled straight towards…and then into, the hole.

Doubt I’ll do many such shots again.

D

Deleted member 1147

Junior match at Chevin GC, nr Derby.
I was out last needing to win my match for us to win the league that season.
The 18th is a par 5, I was on front edge in 2, my oppo' was down in 4 having chipped it dead. I proceeded to hole a putt the whole length of the green, in the light of the clubhouse, such was the darkness, with everyone from both teams standing at the back of the green watching.
To say the crowd went wild would be an understatement.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I still think the best shot ive ever made was in a pairs match last year.

Playing with my dad against a mate and his PP who were both off 8 at the time. They had a 3 hole lead after 3 holes, started birdie, birdie, birdie!

We ground it back to all square after 7 and after a bit of back and forth by the 12th we were 1 up.

12 is our longest par 4, I was in the greenside bunker for 2, one of them was on the back of the green for the same.

Long story short, a beautifully struck bunker shot, pops up, lands, spins and rolls back into the hole for a birdie 3 and won I the hole.

Match ended on 17th with a win for us, going 2 up on 12 was key in that - and bragging rights over a mate are always great fun.
What about the time when your drive finished on the thin white line winning you a 4-ball voucher for straightest drive of the day?

WGCRider

Visit site
I have 2. I was in the last group on a corporate day at Celtic manor. I sank a putt the entire length of the 18th green with loads of people watching.
Other was at Forest of Arden - I was playing a 28 handicaper who started with a string of pars and birdies to leave me 8 down after 9 holes. I was playing okay he just had his AAA game. I won 1up after he conceded the match on the 18th tee when my tee shot had left me a tap in for birdie.

mister v

Visit site
my favourite was in a B team match where we were 3 down playing the 15th which is only 320 yard SI 13 , the opposition were in good shape and had a 7 ft putt for a birdie, my PP had hit a poor tee shot and was out of the hole , i was left with the longest putt on the green of 60 ft which i drained..... they missed their putt and we went on to win the match. love team events especially when you do something good!!

Golfnut1957

Visit site
4 BBB matchplay. It had been nip and tuck all the way but going up 18 we were 1 down. They are dead for 4 I have a 30 footer for birdie and a win. There was never any doubt.

On the 19th his mate is out of it. On the green are 3 balls all in a perfectly straight line, his, my partner's and then about 15 feet away mine. They both just miss giving me the perfect read, and of course I capitalise nicely.

In the clubhouse later they lament that they are finding it hard to swallow that pill. If it had been Stableford they would have had 45 points between them.

Just for clarification, the money shot was the putt on 18.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have posted this somewhere on here before I think.

A scratch club game away at Yeovil and in the afternoon I am playing at that time the current Dorset County champion. I’m level par and dormie 3 down. I birdied 16 to get it back to dormie 2. 17th at Yeovil is a bonkers (my opinion) short uphill 90° dog leg par 4. I knock it to the top of the hill and leave about 80 yards to the hole. My opponent does the same but is a couple of yards farther away. He hits his second shot stiff to tap in range and must be thinking it’s game over. I was thinking the same. Anyways, I hit my second shot with the thought that I had to hole it to keep the match alive. Two bounces and the ball disappears down the hole. Unfortunately, after my Ryder Cup moment on 17 I only halved the last with a par so lost the match one down. It was also the first time that I played with someone that used a broom handle putter.

tomshanks

Hacker
Visit site
Par 5 at my home course. Hit the drive perfectly, long and down the middle, set up for a well struck 3w at the green. I couldn't pull off two good shots in a row and sliced the 3w over the next tee box adjacent to the green. Ball ended up nestled between the next tee and our first tee box where a large society had started to gather.😕 Completely blocked out by a tree I had no option but to open up the face and try to flop the living daylights out of it. Somehow managed to clear the tree by millimeters and land it softly inches from the hole.

I honestly don't know what was harder, the shot itself or having to calmly slot the club back in the bag and pretend that this happens all the time!