Losing a lot of golf in the area

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The closures are simply a reflection of the economy.

Clubs charging way too much for joining and membership, pro shops trying to sell equipment much dearer than can now be found online etc.

One local course was sold to a developer, who failed to gain consent and is now a mess. Many clubs need updating and the revenue does not cover those updates, so they can only levy the members, which is going against the economic status.
I disagree with this thinking. It is nothing to do with clubs charging too much, the demand is still there. Golf clubs are expensive to run and hard work as well. You can only squeeze members so far for more money so if a developer comes offering silly money, it is not surprising that many are taking the money and running.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I disagree with this thinking. It is nothing to do with clubs charging too much, the demand is still there. Golf clubs are expensive to run and hard work as well. You can only squeeze members so far for more money so if a developer comes offering silly money, it is not surprising that many are taking the money and running.

I agree. For every "we're doomed" thread, there's another moaning how difficult it is to get into a "decent" club.

Inflationary pressures always find out businesses that are sailing close to the wind, regardless of industry.

If you see the books, there's usually something that explains the situation.

One recent local example, was owners wanting to draw more than the business could sustain. Maintenance suffered and revenue fell. Vicious circle.

Burnsey

Visit site

It's not thinking, it is fact with some clubs.

Fully appreciate they have running costs and considering the number of courses open for new members, the demand is not there in all regions.

A club near me is developing the upper parts of the clubhouse into AIRBnB apartments, to increase revenue - things such as this is good forward planning.

But yes, if a club sees a sale as viable, let them do it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Still in consultation - this was the last update in April https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c103v36g6n4o but apparently the owners are very keen to sell up despite it being profitable 🤷
In which case it would seem to be very hard to stop if they want to sell and the developers want to build. I know when we lost Blue Mountain in Bracknell (despite a covenant on it - https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/protected-blue-mountain-golf-course-6399017) it did get held up due to some rare plant or animal (newt or something) but even then it wasn't enough and the council did the deed anyway. Now houses and a school

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Raises an interesting question for members of member owned clubs...

If you got an email from your club saying they've had an offer to sell out to a developer. What figure would make you vote yes??

😉
Wimbledon Park members were reported to have go c£80k I think. That would do me but as we are Crown land not likely to happen. We lost the our course inside Ascot racecourse when Ascot authorities wanted to move the main stand and build a new one but they paid for the new course as part of the deal as long as the members paid for the clubhouse which they did via a bond scheme

Last edited:

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
this is in issue in our area and also in Bournemouth, where several have recently closed. In the Reading-to-Bracknell/Ascot coridoor we have in the past few years lost Bearwood (9 hole - now developed into Reading Football Club training centre), Reading - the club took over the struggling Caversham (i won't air my views publically on what i think of that club), Blue Mountain public course in Bracknell sold for housing. And nearby Maidenhead has in the last week officially been sold off - members can play i think until some time next year. Also, Mill Ride in Ascot has been reposessed by the Government following a lengthy high court battle with the Azerbaijani owner and is up for sale - rumour has it that it is one of the clubs being considereed to be bought with Maidenhead's new riches. I think there could be even more pressure on some of the better mebers courses due to these closures

Mandofred

Visit site
Something that has popped up around here in recent years is selling a club like Oakdale in Harrogate.....they would get a bazillion Pounds for that land, and purchasing Flaxby and opening it back up. I was all for that one, although it would kill the old timers. Not a member this year, but they were in the process for selling 2 acres (maybe 2.5) behind the 5th hole.....1 million Pounds. Just for the land.

Edit: Just noticed on Rightmove that there was a .48 acre bit of land in that area....they want 1.2 million for that....so maybe the golf course should have held out for more.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
this is in issue in our area and also in Bournemouth, where several have recently closed. In the Reading-to-Bracknell/Ascot coridoor we have in the past few years lost Bearwood (9 hole - now developed into Reading Football Club training centre), Reading - the club took over the struggling Caversham (i won't air my views publically on what i think of that club), Blue Mountain public course in Bracknell sold for housing. And nearby Maidenhead has in the last week officially been sold off - members can play i think until some time next year. Also, Mill Ride in Ascot has been reposessed by the Government following a lengthy high court battle with the Azerbaijani owner and is up for sale - rumour has it that it is one of the clubs being considereed to be bought with Maidenhead's new riches. I think there could be even more pressure on some of the better mebers courses due to these closures
I know the original Caversham members have been less than impressed by the merger and Reading have taken it over in their name for the most part. We had a club match against them a couple for years ago and they had a lady captain . We played for the trophy we always do which had Ascot v Caversham and her words at the presentation were "we're have to get that changed". They have done a lot of work especially around fairway bunkersing and they have moved some holes around and adjusted 18 and as a course I like it. As a club it has gone right down

Grizzly

Visit site
Surprised by Batchworth. What's the issue?

The Club is owned by one of those Corporate entities who want to sell the land off for housing. There have been claims and counter claims, and one rather hilarious day when members were locked out of the club. I think the current position (at least at the end of July when I played a club match there) is that they aspire to selling at least part of the site, and are not allowing new members, but have not got planning permission.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
The closures are simply a reflection of the economy.

Clubs charging way too much for joining and membership, pro shops trying to sell equipment much dearer than can now be found online etc.

One local course was sold to a developer, who failed to gain consent and is now a mess. Many clubs need updating and the revenue does not cover those updates, so they can only levy the members, which is going against the economic status.
Swinton Park?

D-S

Visit site
A question: when were these courses built?

I have noticed a theme that it is largely the courses built in the 80s and 90s that are closing.
Good question, most in the 80’s/90’s, not sure about Tracy Park.
The odd thing is that 3 (2x36 and 1x27) you would have thought are cheaper to maintain due to the economies of scale than most other clubs, but housing is a golden cash cow that threatens golf in some areas if the courses are driven for profit and not member owned.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Surel
The Club is owned by one of those Corporate entities who want to sell the land off for housing. There have been claims and counter claims, and one rather hilarious day when members were locked out of the club. I think the current position (at least at the end of July when I played a club match there) is that they aspire to selling at least part of the site, and are not allowing new members, but have not got planning permission.
Surely that is the first thing you want in place if you have this sort of plan. Why antagonise your membership with these threats if you can't go through with them

Grizzly

Visit site
Surel

Surely that is the first thing you want in place if you have this sort of plan. Why antagonise your membership with these threats if you can't go through with them

Haha you'd think. There is a lot of backstory from what I am told - the members believed any proceeds are due to them as the leasees rather than the owners of the club, there was legal action on both sides.