A Load of Balls

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For subtle differences between premium balls, I think you're right. But between premium and non-premium there are golf balls that are potentially 15 yards longer than others, that would absolutely make a difference to your score.
Could you give any examples of balls that go 15 yards less?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
They compared all the balls. These are just the longest and shortest lengths from the test.
No I get that, but it's not really that comparable. What would have been comparable would have been the TP5x performance against the other "fast swing speed" balls. Or they could have showed the Pro-v and the Vice Pro against the TP5. But to simply say that a TP5 is 18.6 yards shorter than a pro-v1x is to leave out to many variables.

For me anyway. Of course, anyone is free to interpret it any way they want.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No I get that, but it's not really that comparable. What would have been comparable would have been the TP5x performance against the other "fast swing speed" balls. Or they could have showed the Pro-v and the Vice Pro against the TP5. But to simply say that a TP5 is 18.6 yards shorter than a pro-v1x is to leave out to many variables.

For me anyway. Of course, anyone is free to interpret it any way they want.
It's just an image giving you a quick reference for longest and shortest because that interests people. When you look at the data you can find everything that you've just asked for. 😄

https://mygolfspy.com/buyers-guides/golf-balls/2023-golf-ball-test/ - there's a big comparison matrix half way down the page (bottom of the page really but before all the comments).

TP5x was still 10 yards shorter than the ProV1x on the mid-speed test.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's just an image giving you a quick reference for longest and shortest because that interests people. When you look at the data you can find everything that you've just asked for. 😄

https://mygolfspy.com/buyers-guides/golf-balls/2023-golf-ball-test/ - there's a big comparison matrix half way down the page (bottom of the page really but before all the comments).

TP5x was still 10 yards shorter than the ProV1x on the mid-speed test.
Glad to hear it, I don’t like TM balls anyway (not been a decent one since the Penta TP).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Glad to hear it, I don’t like TM balls anyway (not been a decent one since the Penta TP).
I was using the Tour Response a couple of years ago, I was surprised to see that very low on distance in this testing as well (it's the second shortest in the slow swing testing after the TP5!). All their balls seem to have suffered badly on distance, not sure what they've been doing to them.

I wanted to try the Vice Pro Soft based on this test, where it did well. But Vice have already replaced it with the 'Vice Pro Air' so I bought that instead. That's the problem with these tests I suppose, manufacturers replacing their balls every year so the numbers go out of date pretty quickly.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I found a Maxfli 65 "two piece" on the course today.

Not sure how old it was but it was the epitome of the rock hard ball that caused so much damage to wooden woods.

Hit a couple of shots with irons to test it out and the sound was awful, distance was terrible too.

When I tried to hit it into a nearby pond I don't think it reached, so maybe that's a good thing.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was using the Tour Response a couple of years ago, I was surprised to see that very low on distance in this testing as well (it's the second shortest in the slow swing testing after the TP5!). All their balls seem to have suffered badly on distance, not sure what they've been doing to them.

I wanted to try the Vice Pro Soft based on this test, where it did well. But Vice have already replaced it with the 'Vice Pro Air' so I bought that instead. That's the problem with these tests I suppose, manufacturers replacing their balls every year so the numbers go out of date pretty quickly.
The differences ball to ball are mad too. My mate plays of +4 and he smashes his driver consistently 280-290 and plays the pro-v1x but if he hits the non-x version he struggles to get it out past 260. Same driver, same swing.

I use the pro-v1. Why? Because it does what I need it to do, feels nice off the clubs and I am fortunate that I can afford a few dozen balls a year (considering other annualised costs with golf, £140 on balls is a drop in the proverbial).

Klimski

Visit site
So, the way I do it: I establish a budget and then I work from the putting green backwards: I was gaming both the Wilson Triad (Eur 32,50 a dozen) and Titleist TruFeel (Eur 25 a dozen) and prefer the TruFeel for putting. The Wilson is a really good all round ball though, urethane cover and I did notice it gripping better on the green than the TruFeel. Problem is, I tend to prefer chipping (and putting) to pitching from close by - so a lot of check isn't what I look for as a rule. So, the TruFeel is my gamer now.

Klimski

Visit site
Question to the folks: would you rather play premium lake balls of mid price new, eg: AAA grade used ProV1 vs New Srixon AD333?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Question to the folks: would you rather play premium lake balls of mid price new, eg: AAA grade used ProV1 vs New Srixon AD333?
Another can of worms probably... but I wouldn't buy lake balls. You've got absolutely no idea of the quality just because they say it's A grade or whatever. Some of them might have been sat in the lake six months. I recall seeing some reports online that being sat in the lake for a while does degrade the quality of the ball, making lake balls quite variable. I'd sooner buy a mid-range ball and know the quality is consistent.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Having tried lake balls from a couple of well regarded sources. I’d buy new. The quality of used balls is variable and questionable.

I give almost all the balls I find to playing partners or my lad. If they don’t want them I’ll put them in the box for juniors in the locker room.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I stopped buying lake balls quite a few years ago after a few very nice looking ones split on the seams.

I tend to buy 3/4 piece urethane balls from manufacturers that are a lot cheaper then Titleist or TM
e.g. RZN MS Tour, Honma TW-S and only buy ProVs because I have credit in the Proshop particularly when they have a 4 for the price of 3 deal.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Looking at how many balls people seem to buying annually are you losing a lot or do you have a cupboard full of balls?

Springveldt

Visit site
Looking at how many balls people seem to buying annually are you losing a lot or do you have a cupboard full of balls?
Depends on the course. At my previous parkland club that was also pretty tight if I was having a bad day I could easily lose a couple of balls. Personal "best" was 7 one evening, after the 3rd I was going into the pocket at the bottom that I keep practice balls in for hitting into nets when warming up.

New course is links and a bit more open and the rough hasn't really gotten up yet (but it's starting to). I've used the same ball for the last 3 rounds and only lost 2 in the previous 8 rounds. I think my Titleist 4 for 3 offer might just see me through this season.