A Load of Balls

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I find it crazy that countless amateurs use ProV1s when they're designed for tour players or very good amateurs. Most regular players with slow or average swing speeds will undoubtedly lose distance because of the amount of spin they give you. It's too much spin for most people. Baffles me that people spend £48 on these when they'd be better off using a softer, lower spinning ball that costs £15 less.
I'm not convinced that anybody loses distance with the likes of a pro v1 unless you are talking about losing stopping power with irons.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Pro Vs are very soft compared to a lot of other balls and they are great for those with a higher swing speed , they will produce a good amount of spin which is good for around the greens but will mean losing distance from the tee

Feel will always be good around the greens

But it’s very likely that there is too much spin with the driver etc

best thing to do is get a ball fitting and find out what’s best for you
Not true. Pro v1 is a lowish spinning ball with a driver.

Albo

Visit site
I'm not convinced that anybody loses distance with the likes of a pro v1 unless you are talking about losing stopping power with irons.
I think it’s more you don’t get the advantage of all the distance on offer for the cost of the ball.
Pro V and a cheaper ball going the same distance why pay more.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tried some Titleist Trufeel recently as I got a pack free with a recent purchase. I definitely lost a fair bit of distance with them, used a Pro V1 I found and it is certainly longer…for me 🤔

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting that no one considers putting when talking about balls. Don’t know if it’s changed but in the past the less expensive balls didn’t roll true due to imperfections (QC) whereas the expensive ones had the benefit of x-ray etc.

At least according to some YT videos 🙃

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It amazes me that people will spend thousands of pounds of on equipment and feet but will play any old ball they pick up.

It amazes me even more when it’s a filthy ball hit with filthy clubs.

There isn’t much you can control in golf. The bit of consistency you get playing the same good quality ball has to be worth something?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I took out some Srixon Z Stars for a social game yesterday. I hadn't used them for a while as I had a feeling they weren't as long as other premium balls. They lasted 3 hoes before I swapped to a Chrome Soft. They were so spongy and pudding like off the driver, short on good shots and I didn't like them at all. Just shows not all premium balls perform the same and so it pays to find a ball you like and stick to it

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pro v has an 87 compression

Maybe it is my age and years of experience but a rock would be something like a Topflite XL. A hard compression ball to me is a ball in the region of 120 but maybe newer golfers have different views of compression.
In all the years I have played them I would never consider a Prov1 to be like a rock.

The other ball mentioned,TM Tour Response, feels harder to me then the ProV1

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play the same ball through the summer and another in the winter.
How it plays with my putter will decide wether I use it. My summer ball is either a TP5, or Z Star.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe it is my age and years of experience but a rock would be something like a Topflite XL. A hard compression ball to me is a ball in the region of 120 but maybe newer golfers have different views of compression.
In all the years I have played them I would never consider a Prov1 to be like a rock.

When we're talking premium balls, around 90 to 100 is pretty firm. The softer premium ones (that I prefer) tend to be 60-80.

Tour Response is one of the softest around now I'm pretty sure. 😄

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site

At least you’ve confirmed that I’m right not to take notice of most of your posts.
I wonder if you’re conflating balatas with Pro V’s.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It amazes me that people will spend thousands of pounds of on equipment and feet but will play any old ball they pick up.

It amazes me even more when it’s a filthy ball hit with filthy clubs.

There isn’t much you can control in golf. The bit of consistency you get playing the same good quality ball has to be worth something?

I always play the same ball..srixon ad333. Perfect for myself. Find they suit me

If I find a ball on the course (even a pro v) it's thrown to a PP

Bit of what you said but also in my mind If I always play the same ball then there is no excuse. I can't blame the ball for my poor shoots.