Is there a worse area than Milton Keynes to be a golfer????

G

guest100718

I was going to suggest Dunstable Downs...haven't played it in years mind

Played there last year, was in good nick. with a couple of very tricky holes. The si1 was a real test with the pin at the front...very easy to putt off the green
I'd agree that Millbrook is Ok too and i always found it drained well.

D

Deleted member 15344

Aspley Guise ( Woburn Sands ) is in a bit of a mess - greens are like playing on concrete and the new greenkeeper isn't watering them - all bunkers were GUR

Dunstable in decent nick but struggling membership wise and issues with caterers etc - something happened with last years captain

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You're quite right in that there's only a handful of real quality courses in Essex but it's a good place to be a golfer with loads of choice and options and plenty of "good" courses and then loads of OK courses too. Thorndon Park is the county's standout by a country mile with Chelmsford and Orsett the next best in my opinion.

MarkHK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played Dunstable Downs last week and it was in good nick, greens has just been top dressed but were still true. It is nearer to me than South Beds but the joining fee put me off. I dont think there is a better draining course in the area than South Beds, in the 3 years ive been here I have never seen a trolley ban.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
We are in fabulous condition at the moment ( not played a course with better greens this year ) but it is tight and you need to play with a straight ball - at 6000 yards it's not the longest as you say but the way it's playing at the moment it's brilliant....

....Condition wise at the moment I'm happy to say nothing touches us but if you don't like the layout then it's a tough sell ( and we have a waiting list ) but you are more than happy to join me for a knock to see what you think mate

Was going to say similar. We are a short course with small tight greens, and do have a couple of quirks, but, I've played away a few times this year including Ashridge, Aspley Guise, Woburn and The Berkshire, none of them come close to our condition. More than happy to have a friendly knock with you if you want to give us another go.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played Ashridge at the weekend and if your place is in better nick you are very lucky.

If your rough is as thick, you are very unlucky.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Was going to say similar. We are a short course with small tight greens, and do have a couple of quirks, but, I've played away a few times this year including Ashridge, Aspley Guise, Woburn and The Berkshire, none of them come close to our condition. More than happy to have a friendly knock with you if you want to give us another go.

Assuming aimed at me, will happily come up for a knock sometime :)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Toilet mate. Too much time in that rough, even getting it back in play was a task!!

Luckily RO came to the rescue for both rounds 😜

Watched a 1hcapper move a full blooded wedge 8 yards out of ours on saturday having driven it 340 and missed the edge by 1 yard - brutally unfair!