Walking in a putt - poor etiquette?!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I suspect for whatever reason the author of the article was committed to using ‘9’ in the article title but hit a bit of a ‘mental wall/writers block’ after compiling 8 Things You Should Never Do On A Golf Course

Faced with changing the 9 to an 8 or adding in the first thing they could think of… he chose the latter option

And hey that’s pesto, we have ‘never early walk your putt in’ inserted into the list ;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Like a lot of things in golf, some of this 'etiquette' points have their roots a long, long time ago, and hardly really apply anymore. Even walking on someone's line wouldn't do any damage nowadays in summer when people are wearing soft spikes and the greens are firm - that comes from the era of metal spikes, and when you also weren't allowed to repair anything on your line (which I think has changed now?).

Assuming a putt has been given I don't think is an etiquette issue either, it's more concentration and you leave yourself open to looking silly if they say they never gave it. I'd never pick up unless I was 100% sure it was given, or that I was out of the hole anyway.

Telling someone they're having a good round is a funny one. Usually people know if they're playing well or not. And if they don't want to be expressly told that, then that is their superstition above anything else. I record my rounds in Hole19 so I always know exactly how well or badly I'm doing already.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The youth had an Yorkshire inter district match against Bradford a month or so back, 12 players per team, all off scratch - Jamie's team are young this year, one of the lads is only 11 - often playing against boys a few years older - infact he took an 18 year old to the final hole against the East Riding. Anyway, this kid was last man out again, the Bradford player sticks a long putt in to make par, young Edward has about a 12 footer to tie the hole and tie the match - as soon as he hits the putt he's walking it in clenching his fist, and in it drops - all his team mates watching on cheering - that's what golf is all about right, he and all the boys will remember that moment for years.

Get them walked in (y)

Swango1980

Visit site
‘Telling someone they’re having a good round’ — how is that poor etiquette??! Maybe it is only for those who have a tantrum if you say ‘good putt’ before the ball is in the hole and then claim you’ve ’jinxed’ them or somehow, and miraculously, caused the putt to miss 🤪🤣

What delicate and fragile little flowers some people are if that is said, honestly and without any hint of gamesmanship, to a fellow golfer having a good round, and the recipient thinks it’s bad etiquette 🙄
I'll always say things like "good shot", that sort of thing. But, personally I'll never ever comment on how well a player is playing until after the round is over. Like it or not, the mental side of golf is a huge factor. There may be some people that can block out all outside distractions and treat every shot the same, very casually. But, I think for most people, when they are playing well they just want to stay in the moment and try and take each shot as it comes. Having people tell them how well they are playing can potentially distract them, make them more aware one bad swing could undo all the good work, and it won't just be them thinking they've thrown a good round away.

There is one guy I've known for years who will stay stuff like "your on it today, I reckon you are going to win", and that may be only after 8 or 9 holes.

There was a time a new guy had joined and was playing one of his 1st comps. After the 4th hole, he said to another guy he was playing with "you're playing really well today". The chap he said it to was furious, and started screaming you should never say such things. Massive over-reaction of course, but though I'd share that example as I thought it was amusing.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm with Boomer.
I would never do that in case it lipped out.
Re OP.. it's not something I like to see but would not think less of the player [unless they hole it on 4BBB and start all that funny hand shake/walk/dance rubbish]

sjw

Visit site
I'll always say things like "good shot", that sort of thing. But, personally I'll never ever comment on how well a player is playing until after the round is over. Like it or not, the mental side of golf is a huge factor. There may be some people that can block out all outside distractions and treat every shot the same, very casually. But, I think for most people, when they are playing well they just want to stay in the moment and try and take each shot as it comes. Having people tell them how well they are playing can potentially distract them, make them more aware one bad swing could undo all the good work, and it won't just be them thinking they've thrown a good round away.

There is one guy I've known for years who will stay stuff like "your on it today, I reckon you are going to win", and that may be only after 8 or 9 holes.

There was a time a new guy had joined and was playing one of his 1st comps. After the 4th hole, he said to another guy he was playing with "you're playing really well today". The chap he said it to was furious, and started screaming you should never say such things. Massive over-reaction of course, but though I'd share that example as I thought it was amusing.
Lol, that is someone who can't cope with the pressure! I have once or twice asked a playing partner not to tell me what I've scored after 9, because it's felt decent, but that's because I've been trying to change my mindset a little; I've found that I play the back 9 differently in that I almost "count backwards" from a target score, as opposed to on the front 9 where I'm trying to score well. Normally, though, my watch is counting score anyway, so I can see how I'm doing.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Like a lot of things in golf, some of this 'etiquette' points have their roots a long, long time ago, and hardly really apply anymore. Even walking on someone's line wouldn't do any damage nowadays in summer when people are wearing soft spikes and the greens are firm - that comes from the era of metal spikes, and when you also weren't allowed to repair anything on your line (which I think has changed now?).

Assuming a putt has been given I don't think is an etiquette issue either, it's more concentration and you leave yourself open to looking silly if they say they never gave it. I'd never pick up unless I was 100% sure it was given, or that I was out of the hole anyway.

Telling someone they're having a good round is a funny one. Usually people know if they're playing well or not. And if they don't want to be expressly told that, then that is their superstition above anything else. I record my rounds in Hole19 so I always know exactly how well or badly I'm doing already.
Tsk Ollie…😗😉

Who’s to know which of these etiquette points still matter to a playing companion or opponent. Watchword should be ‘beware’…🧐🥰

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Up at the club for a couple of hours practice this morning, for the first time I spent the last 10mins of putting practice ‘walking it in’ over a few different distances
4-5ft was pretty straightforward but you do have to set off smartly after making contact
10-12ft is showy if you hole it but started to feel like ‘you know its missing’ so just started to walk to hole
30ft I don’t think any walk means you know its holed, whether its holed or not it just looks like you think its missing so the early walk defeats the purpose really

In summary, I think up to 6ft or so it’ll look nice/slick, outside that I wouldn’t bother. Gonna give it a go on course this weekend…

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I think I tend to do the opposite.
If I can see that the putt is going to miss, then I'm likely to start moving.
If there is a chance it might go in, then I can be transfixed. I might take a tiny step and lean forward in order for the ball to hear me more clearly when I shout at it to go in.

None of the above is in anyway logical, but good fun. That is the only reason I can think of to explain this behaviour of mine.
If it is poor etiquette - live with it - or don't play with me. I ain't gonna change - too ingrained.