Etiquette question - walking across green carrying clubs

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
For context - this was a discussion between myself and two other... equally mature.... ladies. (yeah, I'm in my 60s)
So we are players who routinely ALWAYS use a trolley.

The discussion was about winter trolley bans and the decision to limit exemptions to the ban.
All three of us had carried a half set during trolley bans.
They had reverted to using their trolleys once allowed, but I mentioned that I had continued to carry for several more weeks "because I'm lazy and don't like walking the long way round the green with my trolley, at least I can take a short cut across the green when I'm carrying"

They insisted that it's very poor etiquette to walk on the green carrying one's clubs, despite the fact that ME + CLUBS weighs considerably less that several of our heftier male players.

Have I been committing a serious faux pas? I would never LEAVE my bag on the green.

I'd be interested in all opinions but especially those from an older more traditional background, y'know the blazer brigade

Jason.H

Visit site
I’m hardly the ”blazer brigade” but the less traffic on the greens the better. It can’t be much further to walk around. I see some people pulling their trolley between the edge of the green and green side bunker and some show respect and go around the bunker. What we all want is pristine greens.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In my book it's sensible for pace of play. If you can get to the point of leaving your bag in the best spot for after putting then it's completely acceptable. No way is a bag on your back going to increase any potential wear and tear to a green

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Have I been committing a serious faux pas? I would never LEAVE my bag on the green.
I'm mid 50s, not what I would consider "blazer brigade", but I am the type who expects things to be done right and by the rules. Your pals are aff their heids, of course if carrying you can go across the green with your clubs.

sunshine

Visit site
They just sound misinformed to me. So many female and male golfers pick up little bits of etiquette and then extrapolate it and it becomes silly.

I usually carry, I always walk across the green but typically I won’t walk right down the middle or the area where the pin is.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I work on greens and a golfer walking with a bag isn’t a problem.
In fact it’s the two with the trolley that are ! multiplied by lots of members.
They wear away the grass around the edges of the green surrounds and it then takes all year to recover.
This should be in the “Made up rules section”

D

Deleted member 1147

They’ll have to ban grossly overweight people walking across the greens, if someone carrying a bag is too heavy and will cause damage.