Golf etiquette - HUGE RANT!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At the weekend me and a few pals played a course in sussex which prides itself on being one of the oldest courses around. Established in 1893 its ones of the more traditional courses around and 2 things really got my back up!

We were on the first tee getting ready to go off as a 4 ball, when two young guys (in their late 20'd/early 30's) come over to the tee. Now i didnt see any point in us going off as a 4 ball, only to have to stop and let a 2 ball through so we done what i beleive is the right thing, and advised the 2 ball they were welcome to go off first even though their tee slot was 10 mins after ours as we didnt want to hold them up or delay play. The two guys were very happy that we had said this and even come across as very shocked of our offer. I get the impression this is something that doesnt happen often at this club. Nerves got the better of them on their tee shots but within minutes they had completed the 1st hole (a short par 4) and were gone.

Situ #1) Next up its us and after 3 good drives and a shonkey short iron (not me) we are under way. We are up playing our second shots when we notice another 2 ball on the tee, at this point i say to the other guys that we should let them through on the par 3 second and let them clear off and we are all agree'd. We play onto the green and then the boys behind drive as expected. As we finish on the green a friend walks to the side of the green to get he's trolley (located on the middle right edge of the green) when one of the players behind plays, clearly the green is not clear for play and the ball pitches with no shout or warning and clouts my friend straight on the knuckle. When my freind turns around there is a hand guesture that indicates the guy is sorry so we move onto the second. Now as we play down the second one of the old boys behind comes up and appologises and after a laugh and a joke we advise we are letting them through straight away, they reply with " dont worry, we'll skip the second and push ahead of you on the third " Although we didnt see the point as they would be missing the hole, we thought no worries and continued our game. Now im still slightly pissed at the fact they played for the green before it was cleared, but clearly there is no hard feelings, everyone has had a laugh and a joke so no harm done.

Situ #2) We proceeded to play at what i would call a fairly quick pace but by no means slow, and come the 9th hole we are still a hole clear on a trailing 3 ball that has been one clear hole behind they entire front 9. On the 9th my partner pulls he's drive into the tree's and while looking we notice the 3 ball have finished on the green and are walking to the tee. Before they have got to the tee we have cleared to each side of the fairway and wave them through instantly, infact if im honest before they were even ready to play their shot. They play through and to my amazement only one of the guys thank us, with the other 2 completely ignoring us, even though they were playing through at a very slow pace and by letting them through had slowed our game by around 10 mins as we couldnt play our second shots until they had cleared the green and had tee'd off the tenth as the tee box was behind the 9th green.
so we contine with a great game, and finish up winning the back 9 after losing the front 9 and halving the match on a superb spring day.

After putting the clubs away we venture into the club house and ive got to say what happpened next is shocking.
The 2 ball that pushed through after hitting my playing partner were complaining to the other 3 about us holding them up (yeah right we hadnt even had chance to let you through let alone held you up) complaining they had to miss a hole just to get in front of us. The 3 ball replied that he found that weird as he has never been waved through so quickly (nice, would have been nice to receive a thanks for it)

And now the best bit, as we leave we see the club notice board and 2 of the 3 ball were very seniour members of the club. The 3 ball was made up of the current captain and chairman of the club we were playing at, yet the only one who had thanked us for letting them through was a general non ranked member.

How can captains and chairman not even have the courtesy to thank people for letting them through and delaying their game in favour of theirs. We see many threads on here about slow play and not being called through, but the ignorence was shocking!

It was such a shame as the day was a fantastic day with staff in the club house & pro shop being great, the 2 ball we let tee off first being very polite. Im more gutted as ive never considered joining a club that is not local to me. the club in question is around 22 miles from me but the staff of the club and the charactor of the course is still tempting me to part with some cash as a member, but the members/committee sort of put a cloud over what was a very nice day on a challenging course in great condition.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
this is the impression the club gives AW, which is a shame as i would have filled out the membership form while i was there. Its join first a my favourite course even though its only a 9 holer (your know which course it is now). totally gutted as

* the pro shop was stacked with great staff that applied discount without even asking,

* the course was in great condition and with the exception of 2 holes had some very challenging and unforgiving holes,

* Bar starff had a great sense of humour

* The course charactor and club house have the impression that it hasnt changed in the last 120 years, its like a place that time forgot.... i loved it.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
this is the impression the club gives AW, which is a shame as i would have filled out the membership form while i was there. Its join first a my favourite course even though its only a 9 holer (your know which course it is now). totally gutted as

* the pro shop was stacked with great staff that applied discount without even asking,

* the course was in great condition and with the exception of 2 holes had some very challenging and unforgiving holes,

* The course charactor and club house have the impression that it hasnt changed in the last 120 years, its like a place that time forgot.... i loved it.

I wouldn't let a couple of idiot members put me off joining a club that I liked. There are muppets in every club.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site

It sounds great but it's the members that really make a club and if it's senior members are hitting players in the group in front and the behaviour that you document is occurring then I'd be off like a shot..

and posting on here.. :D

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site

I wouldn't let a couple of idiot members put me off joining a club that I liked. There are muppets in every club.

Yes, but if they're club officials then you're in trouble.. :p

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
HCR, they are doing great deals at the moment £395 for 7 days membership, and if my distances are right im just about far enough away to fall into county membership at less than £250. what worries me is if the average age of the club is 80-something and they have this attitude, it could be a waste of time as i get the impression it would be hard to mix there. Ill definately be back for round 2 as i let the course beat me on the front 9, but second time around i think i had 5 pars from 9, ...

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
exactly AW, when club officials cant even show the people letting them through enough respect to even nod, hand up, passing comment, it doesnt make the club feel like one you would want to join.

I can see me and the lads playing there once a month through the year as a loved it. Green fee's were only £18.00 so great value for money, Id be hapy driving 25 miles each way every day to play my golf there if the attitude of the members wasnt what id experienced.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
exactly AW, when club officials cant even show the people letting them through enough respect to even nod, hand up, passing comment, it doesnt make the club feel like one you would want to join.

I can see me and the lads playing there once a month through the year as a loved it. Green fee's were only £18.00 so great value for money, Id be hapy driving 25 miles each way every day to play my golf there if the attitude of the members wasnt what id experienced.

25 miles you say..

You'd reach my gaff then.. :D

The members are LOVELY!! :)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
25 miles would make me reach alot of gaff's. its now making me think i should consider looking a bit further a field for that "perfect course"

only downside to looking further a field is less twilight golf. one thing this club had in its favour is membership was cheap enough to sstill leave a night budget for local twi light golf...
Bugger!

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Not nodding your head or saying thankyou when playing through is very rude. Playing approach shots before the green is clear is down right dangerous. I can see why you are so pissed off and suprised your friend took this in such good spirits.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Playing to a green not cleared is wrong whatever the situation. I wouldn't be giving them too much of my hard earned even as green fees to be treated like 2nd class citizens when you've behaved impeccably, nay almost saintly judging by the reaction to being called through. I'm sure there are other clubs around where the course may not be quite as good ro challenging but where you'll get better treatment. I know which I'd prefer to play. As for joining, if that is how the top guys in the club behave it doesn't send the right message. Personally I wouldn't be back there either as a visitor or a member

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
25 miles would make me reach alot of gaff's. its now making me think i should consider looking a bit further a field for that "perfect course"

only downside to looking further a field is less twilight golf. one thing this club had in its favour is membership was cheap enough to sstill leave a night budget for local twi light golf...
Bugger!
That's the last time I negotiate anything at Westerham for you, mate! ;)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
hey bratty, i havent said ive joined. IM saying for anyone looking for a course on a budget this place could be top of their list. At £400 a year you wouldnt need to pay alot to get your monies worth, and if you live more than 25 miles away you could get membership for as litte as £225, 10 games a year would get your monies worth ;)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The three that you let through where two of them didn't say thank you? That wouldn't have bothered me too much. There are some pig ignorant people around and you happened to bump into a couple of them today. No big deal.
The knobs that played into the first green while you were clearing it?
I'd have been livid.
That's why you have intervals to tee off the 1st. If you then happen to catch up later in the round and are not let through, you can apply a little "pressure". But to do it on the 1st hole????
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
region, although it was tempting we all agree'd that confronting the group of old school members would have ruined a good atmosphere within the group and finished the day on a negative.... which was pointless.

I wouldn't let the senior members put me of joining if the price was right and i loved the course but i guess you may have to face one or two of these guys at your interview and I bet they will be only happy to harp on about tradition and etiquette - not sure i could bite my tongue
As for those muppets playing on to the green before you left it
your partenr must be a very paitent man as i know a few of my guys would have returned their ball to the tee with someting like a 4 iron travelling at some speed :)

That is not only stupid but as someone has said totally dangerous