Argument on course

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just because a club has a Single Golfer has standing rule, I still don't think everyone has to stand aside to let him through just because he is in a hurry to get round, cause he has a time booked at the gym
I disagree. Height of rudeness leaving any group (a group includes a single golfer) standing waiting if it can be avoided.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It's impossible to let someone through without a small delay to your round, but the point is it's the decent thing to do to accept that small delay to avoid giving someone else a massive delay. The ones who don't let anyone through are just too selfish to accept an extra 5 minutes on their round to save another human being 30 minutes on theirs.
Indeed, and a delay to the group doing the ‘letting through’ that should not be that much more than that resulting from a player in the group searching for a ball; not finding it; walking to a provisional; and playing that.

Albo

Visit site
I was playing solo a couple of weeks back and happened upon a group on the same tee a 3 ball of older gentlemen, they had just teed off and asked me if I wanted to play through, so I hit my shot, thanked them and rushed on after my ball, I’d already hit and chipped before they reached their balls, quick putt and I was away holding them up for at most 2 minutes.
That, in my opinion, is how it should be done from both groups

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I was playing solo a couple of weeks back and happened upon a group on the same tee a 3 ball of older gentlemen, they had just teed off and asked me if I wanted to play through, so I hit my shot, thanked them and rushed on after my ball, I’d already hit and chipped before they reached their balls, quick putt and I was away holding them up for at most 2 minutes.

And it absolutely can be a lot of the time. But when the course is busy, with no real gaps between groups, then it’s not quite as easy as you describe.

Albo

Visit site
And it absolutely can be a lot of the time. But when the course is busy, with no real gaps between groups, then it’s not quite as easy as you describe.
No that’s quite correct, if the course is packed and the group are keeping pace with the group in front i’d not expect to be let through, but as the OP was saying, the group not letting him through were first off the tee so had all the space in the world in front

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
No that’s quite correct, if the course is packed and the group are keeping pace with the group in front i’d not expect to be let through, but as the OP was saying, the group not letting him through were first off the tee so had all the space in the world in front
Correct. The etiquette is about when you lose the group in front and then have the right opportunity to let people through. I.e. on the tee together or when looking for a ball.

The main thing people get wrong with letting people through is standing around mid way down a hole waiting for a group to come through instead of playing what they can around them. This just makes a bigger impact on those still behind.

Bobthesock

Visit site
I occasionally play on my own for practice but I never expect to be let through. I only do it at quiet times and prefer to hang back from the group in front or skip a few holes.
The worst is when you offer to let a single player through and they try their hardest to join your group

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Absolutely this. I don't go on as a single when the course is busy. If it's quiet and I'm invited through I play quickly and don't always putt out. By definition if you're on your own you are playing for practice/pleasure rather than a score. It's about courtesy to your fellow golfers.

RichA

Visit site
Showing good manners and courtesy to others and things like this don't happen.

It's that simple, but sadly, increasingly unfashionable
In the 3 years years that I've been playing golf 2 or 3 times a week I think I've encountered playing through issues only a couple of times. Even then there was no actual aggro.
When I used to play solo more often, if I caught anyone up I'd just ask, "Do you mind if I tee off with you guys and dash through? I'm 💩 but I'm quick." It broke the ice every time.

RedEyes

Visit site
I like playing on my own at times, but as a new member it might have been a good time to get to know the old fellas, you could've joined them and made a 3 ball, played a few holes with them and then explained you had a meeting elsewhere you had to get to and rode off into the sunset, leaving them in your dust.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I like playing on my own at times, but as a new member it might have been a good time to get to know the old fellas, you could've joined them and made a 3 ball, played a few holes with them and then explained you had a meeting elsewhere you had to get to and rode off into the sunset, leaving them in your dust.
Nice idea, but it didn't sound like they would have been the most welcoming of people.