Bit of advice - joined a new club

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all,

This is my second go at a comeback. I joined a club back in 2018 I lasted a few months and it didn't work out to the point that I stopped playing golf altogether - worse still I seem to remember someone on here gave me a heads up before I joined but I can't remember who.

I was a 28HC and they were putting me off in a roll up with guys +1 and +2 with an arrogance to go with it. I normally get on well with most people even the difficult ones as it's part of my job but I had a horrendous time with two where I ended up walking off and playing on my own. for balance the next week I came back and played with some good guys but also low HC, but I asked the committee to move me to a more suitable roll up for my ability and nothing came of it. There was other stuff going on that didn't sit right with me either so I left and stopped playing altogether. I've now joined another club and got placed into a swindle who are all very friendly and welcoming and of varying ability Low and High HC. So far I haven't been paired up with anyone like I did at my old club. Having probably played the sum total of probably 15 rounds in the last 18 years I put in three cards and played some of the worst golf of my life on those rounds. I now have a HI of 37.5!

So I am worried about a few things

This is not what I consider to be my real playing ability. I have broke 90 albeit only once and pre kids 18 years ago. I am nowhere near that yet but when my game starts to come back (I still have hope that it will) I am worried as we have a fiver every swindle. I might be that bloke that comes in with 44 points week after week . I will be entering the Monthly Stablefords but will avoid the medals whilst I am still hacking and I can't enter the majors until I have some qualifying comps - should I be entering gen play cards more or less every time i'm out with my swindle non comp so that it shows I am doing my best to get my handicap down and am I limited to how many?

It's a nice group and I don't want to annoy anyone. I know the rules/etiquette, I play fairly quickly (9 holes relaxed solo would take an hour), I can chat and take and have a joke but also know when to shup. I also offer drinks with my PPs at the end, so I am hoping that I am not too bad a partner to be paired up with. But is there anything else I can do to help me bed in.

Maybe I'm looking for reassurance because the hangover of my experience with the old club still sits with me.

Thanks all.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If you are worried about having too high of an index, just do as you say and put in as many general play cards as you can. Most people will happily sign a card for you.

Don’t be put off by the idiots. Generally most people are ok to play with and don’t mind playing with new players or higher handicappers. We’ve all been there. Just make sure you aren’t holding up play and you will be fine.

RichA

Visit site
Chill out and enjoy it.
Use social rounds to get scores onto EG where there's no money involved while you're improving.
If you can't find time for social rounds then why not ask if you can go out on the roll ups without being part of the gambling element.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about your handicap, with the 'new' system it will fluctuate a lot until you get your first 20 cards in and then it should settle down - but hopefully still improve. Just carry on enjoying the golf and the company

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
agree with the others, no one will mind if you win handicap competitions early on, as long as your handicap is moving in the right direction.

JayB

Visit site
Sounds like you're doing the right things to me, as said your handicap will find it's own level soon enough the more cards you put it.

Relax and enjoy the golf and company, if you find you win one week with a very high score, just put the winnings back behind the bar and buy everyone a drink. As long as your humble and honest about it, you'll get a few bandit jibes thrown your way but nobody will really mind.

The Fader

Visit site
Jason, if the second last paragraph is even only partly true, you'd be welcome in my group anytime!
And the groups of 99.9% of golfers.
As others have said, let your handicap do its own thing.
If you do happen to get an early win, spend the booty on a round of drinks!

sunshine

Visit site
If you feel your handicap is too high, make the most of it and enter all the big competitions while you have a good chance of winning. A few 44 point rounds and your handicap will tumble.

With a card in your hand you will find it harder to score than you think. Many people struggle with nerves when they start playing competitions and I expect you will be no different.

Good luck 🤞

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Loads of people probably think their handicap is too high but the likelihood of scoring over 40 points for a run of consecutive rounds must still be quite low. I think the majority of people have given up on the handicap system anyway, they fluctuate so much that you expect to see a few 40-pointers in every comp these days. No one's going to mind, worst you get is a few 'bandit' shouts in jest, just laugh along and you'll be fine. You can put in a general play round as often as you like, provided you play by the proper rules and hole out all of your putts.

Playing with guys who are better than scratch would be intimidating for most people! I'm sure that won't happen too often.

gopher99

Visit site
I played in an open comp at Royal Dornoch and my playing partners were +4 and +5, i have to say playing with them for 36 holes has completely changed the way I play golf.