Walking in a putt - poor etiquette?!

AussieKB

Visit site
Many moons ago I stood on the last hole and about to tee off when a playing partner said 'do you know your level par......'
could have heard a pin drop, I hit a good drive and second, 2 putts for par.....

Boys told him after not to say it.....but it did put an extra bit of pressure on.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Many moons ago I stood on the last hole and about to tee off when a playing partner said 'do you know your level par......'
could have heard a pin drop, I hit a good drive and second, 2 putts for par.....

Boys told him after not to say it.....but it did put an extra bit of pressure on.
You probably knew you were level par though or thereabouts? Did it really make any difference?

If someone tells me that I'm having a good round, if I think their intention is to put a bit of pressure on me I usually respond with, "yeah...better than you".

(If they are playing better than me then its not likely that their desire is to pressurize me...if they are any sort of golfer at all they will be focused on their own game...and if they are not...more fool them)
This just strikes me as paranoia. If I tell one of my mates they're having a good round, I'm not trying to derail them or add pressure. I'm just impressed and probably slightly jealous that they are playing better than me. :LOL: I only tend to add the points at the halfway stage anyway, so anyone's round can still go wildly wrong from there.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hmm, I'm not averse to an arms raised after a tough putt drops, heck, more than a few times I've even taken cap off and wave to the (imaginary) gallery pointing to (imaginary) ppl I know in the crowd

Jeez no ones runs up with a box of tissues to help me out when I 3 (or 4) putt, dam sure I'm gonna celebrate my 'wins' 😉
Let me know what you're drinking lol. Not sure I'd ever go that far but I know what you mean about 3 putting. Pressure little sympathy even from my playing partner

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Let me know what you're drinking lol. Not sure I'd ever go that far but I know what you mean about 3 putting. Pressure little sympathy even from my playing partner

1726825604207.png
Although if the shot's good enough I don't need any liquid inducement to celebrate (if I ever get a HIO it'll be pure carnage on the course) :p

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Hmm, I'm not averse to an arms raised after a tough putt drops, heck, more than a few times I've even taken cap off and wave to the (imaginary) gallery pointing to (imaginary) ppl I know in the crowd

Jeez no ones runs up with a box of tissues to help me out when I 3 (or 4) putt, dam sure I'm gonna celebrate my 'wins' 😉
Exactly....celebrate the wonder shots to the same level that you cuss at the sh**k.

Fist pumps, roars of celebration, turning to the group behind (only if you know them!!) beating your chest like a gorilla (works best on par 3's where the tee is elevated so they can see exactly what you've just done). You're not human if the dropping of a putt (especially from distance) doesn't elicit some sort of emotional response....especially as it instantaneous...like a goal in football...most times you don't know its in until it drops (or the footballs case, the net bulges).

Knee slides though are not acceptable.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Exactly....celebrate the wonder shots to the same level that you cuss at the sh**k.

Fist pumps, roars of celebration, turning to the group behind (only if you know them!!) beating your chest like a gorilla (works best on par 3's where the tee is elevated so they can see exactly what you've just done). You're not human if the dropping of a putt (especially from distance) doesn't elicit some sort of emotional response....especially as it instantaneous...like a goal in football...most times you don't know its in until it drops (or the footballs case, the net bulges).

Spot on (y)

Although I do draw the line at the fake celebrations to mess with others in the field. these usually happen in scrambles and on a par 3/short par 4, when you get on the tee and the 4ball in front hole out and go nuts... and you find out later it was for par! :rolleyes: :p

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I'm more like Balotelli, who when asked why he doesn't celebrate goals, said, "Scoring goals is my job - a postman doesn't celebrate every time he delivers a letter."

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
This just strikes me as paranoia. If I tell one of my mates they're having a good round, I'm not trying to derail them or add pressure. I'm just impressed and probably slightly jealous that they are playing better than me. :LOL: I only tend to add the points at the halfway stage anyway, so anyone's round can still go wildly wrong from there.
But that's your MATES.

A lot depends on who you are playing with...if its friends, then no they're probably not making any attempt to put pressure on and such a comment would be utterly insignificant compared to the banter (and to be fair, if I was playing with mates then the "better than you" riposte would likely be used, irrespective of what I thought their intentions were) and piss taking that goes on during the round....if its an utter stranger in a competition, perhaps not at your own club...then they've got no idea what "playing well" would be for me at any given time...you can usually tell what sort of person they are after a few holes and what affect any sort of comment is likely to be intended to achieve....and you act/respond accordingly.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But that's your MATES.

A lot depends on who you are playing with...if its friends, then no they're probably not making any attempt to put pressure on and such a comment would be utterly insignificant compared to the banter (and to be fair, if I was playing with mates then the "better than you" riposte would likely be used, irrespective of what I thought their intentions were) and piss taking that goes on during the round....if its an utter stranger in a competition, perhaps not at your own club...then they've got no idea what "playing well" would be for me at any given time...you can usually tell what sort of person they are after a few holes and what affect any sort of comment is likely to be intended to achieve....and you act/respond accordingly.
Fair enough. I'd still read it more as jealousy/bitterness rather than a calculated attempt to put you off though in most cases. My usual response is self-deprecating - "Yeah the wheels will fly off soon enough, don't you worry."

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'm more like Balotelli, who when asked why he doesn't celebrate goals, said, "Scoring goals is my job - a postman doesn't celebrate every time he delivers a letter."

:D

Yeah but for us, holing long putts/chipping in from off the green is not our job, just a game :p

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Playing with a low handicap mate in a midweek medal when he told me on the 18th tee that a par would give me a new course record. [recently lengthened and re measured course]
One ultra safe heely drive followed by an ultra safe mid iron short left and I was not sure whither to laugh or cry.
40 yard chip stone dead yeah and we both had a good laugh as I knew exactly what he was up to.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
1st round club champs few weeks back. 10th hole with a cross ridge in fairway maybe 200yds off back tee. Playing straight into a stiff breeze. Fella plays before me and mentions that at least he cleared ‘grand dad’s ridge’. Hmmm. I then try to take cover off ball, topping it and a 2nd into gorse and losing them. Now if he hadn’t mentioned…🙄😂

sunshine

Visit site
Fair enough. I'd still read it more as jealousy/bitterness rather than a calculated attempt to put you off though in most cases. My usual response is self-deprecating - "Yeah the wheels will fly off soon enough, don't you worry."

But comments can encourage the wheels to come off.

Medal last week I was playing well. I knew my score and was comfortable and confident. After I smoked my driver down the middle of 12, as we walked down the fairway my playing partner put his arm around my shoulder and told me I was playing really well. He was just complimenting me, we play together a lot, no mind games.

But it got in my head. Up to that point I was relaxed and enjoying the good ball striking. The thought entered my head that I could win the competition and I tensed up. Double, triple, double. I recovered to make par on 3 of the last 4 holes but too late.

If it was a casual game or stableford I reckon I would have been fine, but because it was medal I started thinking: “don’t make a mistake, don’t mess this up.” Guaranteed failure 🤣

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But comments can encourage the wheels to come off.

Medal last week I was playing well. I knew my score and was comfortable and confident. After I smoked my driver down the middle of 12, as we walked down the fairway my playing partner put his arm around my shoulder and told me I was playing really well. He was just complimenting me, we play together a lot, no mind games.

But it got in my head. Up to that point I was relaxed and enjoying the good ball striking. The thought entered my head that I could win the competition and I tensed up. Double, triple, double. I recovered to make par on 3 of the last 4 holes but too late.

If it was a casual game or stableford I reckon I would have been fine, but because it was medal I started thinking: “don’t make a mistake, don’t mess this up.” Guaranteed failure 🤣
Yeah, it's a bit like when someone tells you to be conscious of your breathing. Suddenly you're breathing faster, or slower, and thinking "Is this how I normally breathe? How do I breathe??"

On my rounds lately the wheels are definitely coming off at some point anyway, whether we acknowledge it or not. Only a matter of time.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yeah, it's a bit like when someone tells you to be conscious of your breathing. Suddenly you're breathing faster, or slower, and thinking "Is this how I normally breathe? How do I breathe??"

On my rounds lately the wheels are definitely coming off at some point anyway, whether we acknowledge it or not. Only a matter of time.
That breathing comment is top rank gamesmanship. I have done a lot of stuff via podcasts this summer and so I am much better mentally and I am one of those that knows how he is scoring, but when it is going well I am more capable now of staying in the one shot at a time mindset and not thinking about what I need to do three or four holes ahead. If I am playing badly I am more resiliant in keeping it going and trying to grind a score of some kind as best I can on the day

Leftitshort

Visit site
That breathing comment is top rank gamesmanship. I have done a lot of stuff via podcasts this summer and so I am much better mentally and I am one of those that knows how he is scoring, but when it is going well I am more capable now of staying in the one shot at a time mindset and not thinking about what I need to do three or four holes ahead. If I am playing badly I am more resiliant in keeping it going and trying to grind a score of some kind as best I can on the day
New Golf Thinking part 2?

Mandofred

Visit site
If just a general comment can throw off your game that easily...... How about a plane flying overhead? Birds making noise in the trees? Nothing anybody says is going to throw off my play.....I can do that to myself inside my head any time though.

sunshine

Visit site
100%

sunshine

Visit site
If just a general comment can throw off your game that easily...... How about a plane flying overhead? Birds making noise in the trees? Nothing anybody says is going to throw off my play.....I can do that to myself inside my head any time though.
The uproar from the butterflies in the adjacent field?