Teeing off a hole before you finish the previous hole

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No. But.....Rules of Handicapping:

2.1/1
Score is Acceptable for Handicap Purposes Even If Holes Have Not Been Played in the Order Set by the Committee

Rule 5.1 of the Rules of Golf requires holes in a round to be played in the order set by either the Committee in charge of the competition or the Committee in charge of the golf course. However, a score is acceptable for handicap purposes even if the holes in a round have not been played in the order set by the Committee.
That’s completed holes as I read it.!
But the OP is saying they havnt completed the hole before starting another .
That has to be wrong surley.

If you incurred a penalty that had to be put right before teeing off on the next hole ,how would that work.?

we do this on our 14/15 hole ,but have never seen it in a comp.!

Steven Rules

Visit site
Yes. Fair point. You would have to complete the (out of order) hole you started before going back to commence the (in order) one you were meant to play. Otherwise that would be a breach of 3.3c, which is where we started this thread.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I've never come across this kind of layout and surprised so many examples in so few replies

Do i understand it correctly, using my crude diagram, instead of playing 4th hole and following blue line to 5th tee
Players play second shot on 4th then follow red line to tee off on 5th then red line to 4th green to complete hole then red line to 5th fairway to play second shot there, is that about right?

1697457934598.png

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I've never come across this kind of layout and surprised so many examples in so few replies

Do i understand it correctly, using my crude diagram, instead of playing 4th hole and following blue line to 5th tee
Players play second shot on 4th then follow red line to tee off on 5th then red line to 4th green to complete hole then red line to 5th fairway to play second shot there, is that about right?

View attachment 49983
That's how I am understanding it, we have a similar situation with our 8th & 9th holes 9th tee is about 120 yards back, never seen anybody teeing off the 9th halfway through the 8th though.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No. But.....Rules of Handicapping:

2.1/1
Score is Acceptable for Handicap Purposes Even If Holes Have Not Been Played in the Order Set by the Committee

Rule 5.1 of the Rules of Golf requires holes in a round to be played in the order set by either the Committee in charge of the competition or the Committee in charge of the golf course. However, a score is acceptable for handicap purposes even if the holes in a round have not been played in the order set by the Committee.

That is for handicapping though. The Rules of Handicapping do not decide what you are DQed for.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

View attachment 49983
Basically it yeah.

4th hole I've circled in red, 5th hole I've circled blue:
GD45.JPG

So they will play their second shots to the 4th green. Then hit their 5th hole tee shots. Then walk down to the 4th green and chip/putt out. Then walk on to the 5th fairway. Just to save themselves the walk from the 4th green back to the 5th tee, which is all uphill.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Basically it yeah.

4th hole I've circled in red, 5th hole I've circled blue:
View attachment 49984

So they will play their second shots to the 4th green. Then hit their 5th hole tee shots. Then walk down to the 4th green and chip/putt out. Then walk on to the 5th fairway. Just to save themselves the walk from the 4th green back to the 5th tee, which is all uphill.
They should just make the 5th a par 3, move the tee box next to the 4th green 🤭

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
That's interesting! Cheers. Must be one of those things the club turns a blind eye to, or nobody ever grasses them up.
You don’t need to grass anyone up, just mention to the Pro or Competitions organiser that you’re aware of the practice and ask the question about it’s status in competitions. Their answer will tell you if it’s a ‘blind eye’ issue or otherwise, maybe they’ll put out a reminder to competition entrants.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

View attachment 49983
Yes our 14 is a par 3.
tee on 15 th is 10 yards left of 14 th.

Its exactly as you illustrate.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Handicapping requires playing to the Rules of Golf. Isn't 3.3c a RoG?
So if you were putting a card in but you played the 4th and 5th concurrently in the way I described - does that mean by rights you should record two blobs on the 4th and the 5th? But the rest of the holes would still count.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So if you were putting a card in but you played the 4th and 5th concurrently in the way I described - does that mean by rights you should record two blobs on the 4th and the 5th? But the r simplyest of the holes would still count.
2.1b simply says a score is not acceptable if the player:
Deliberately ignores a Rule of Golf

But the final determination is at the discretion of the Committee based on the circumstances

salfordlad

Visit site
So if you were putting a card in but you played the 4th and 5th concurrently in the way I described - does that mean by rights you should record two blobs on the 4th and the 5th? But the rest of the holes would still count.
General penalty on the 4th hole (so maybe blob, maybe not); blob on 5th. The point is the tee stroke from the 5th does not count (it is a practice stroke and gets the general penalty on the 4th); it did not commence the 5th hole, so the player subsequently started play of the 5th hole from outside the teeing area and must correct - blob in Stableford if fail to do so (general penalty if corrected before hitting from the 6th).

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
The 17th hole at Ellesmere is in a bowl between the 18th tee and green, so sometimes if it is quiet I have seen people play their tee shot to the 18th before walking down to putt out on the 17th. Not something you would do in competition though.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Not sure if @pokerjoke is still about, I have a hazy memory of Ilfracombe having a situation like this and a sign guiding you to tee off prior to walking to previous green
Yes. I remember playing there about 35 years ago, and thought the layout was crazy, also I got to a par 3 and could not see the green, distance of 160 yards I think, finally saw a dish in a tree, so I hit at that, the green was about 20-30 feet below fairway in a bowl.
Sounds like Ilfracombe to me, near the end of the round.
I played there recently and it's the 16th and 17th holes, tees next to each other and holes heading in the same direction.
Advice is to tee off both holes if clear then play 16, hole out and walk across to your ball on 17.
I think the old hole in a bowl has been done away with now as you can see where it was when playing the 17th.

Screenshot_20231018-183246__01.jpg