When To Play 1st Comp Of The Season

TigerTime

Visit site
I understand mats, I get it but I absolutely detest them.

Unfortunately the climate is only going to get worse and this is something we are going to need to get used to.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
We have been off fairways since October, as is the norm, with a few tee mats, but can't see us getting back to normal play by Good Friday when there is a qualifier scheduled.

Despite being a links course, we have a few holes on a mix of clay and sand and they have been closed when it has rained a lot. Been closed completely more than I can remember this winter, but 10 or 14 holes have generally been open when everywhere else locally is shut. Played 18 last week for the first time since before Christmas.

Ironically the other end of the course is a total contrast - dry and really nice for the time of year....grass is growing well.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But it’s not winter any more. Course may be a bog but the grass is growing.
We were discussing heavily tined greens. During winter.
It’s not winter anymore as soon as there is some heat the grass will rocket.

We did a course in Yorkshire today with air2 g2 I have never seen so much grass on a course.
GK said it hadn’t been cut for six weeks.

It was very very wet.

Teebs

Visit site
We cut fairways yesterday for the 1st time this year. Mats are now optional and parts of the course are looking good.

Greens were top-dressed this week as we have 2 comps between now and next Thursday (schools and district).

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its same for everyone tho.
No it’s not. Imo.

Good short game players suffer on tined greens as you’re just guessing when the ball lands.( no consistency)
Which is why they practice this part of their game.

The “Bobble theory” comes to the fore as well.

A good putter who gets most putts online if it bobbles either way it misses.

A bad putter gets most putts offline if it bobbles towards the hole he’s got more chance to hole it than a good putter.

Other theories are avaliable.🙈🙈😂

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
No it’s not. Imo.

Good short game players suffer on tined greens as you’re just guessing when the ball lands.( no consistency)

A bad putter gets most putts offline if it bobbles towards the hole he’s got more chance to hole it than a good putter.

IMG_7162.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7162.jpeg
    IMG_7162.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1

Bobthesock

Visit site
No it’s not. Imo.

Are you for real? If you were that good you would be on the Tele, not flexing in a golf forum 🤣🤣🤡

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you for real? If you were that good you would be on the Tele, not flexing in a golf forum 🤣🤣🤡
I work on golf courses and this is the biggest complaint we hear.

“Your not tinning the greens are you”

I’m off six and my short game is my biggest asset and tinned greens do affect my scores no dought.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I work on golf courses and this is the biggest complaint we hear.

“Your not tinning the greens are you”

I’m off six and my short game is my biggest asset and tinned greens do affect my scores no dought.
I'm with you, at best case it certainly levels the playing field a bit. Good putters are susceptible to unlucky bobbles and breaks that aren't normally there, while bad putters are probably largely unaffected if they're just lagging it up anyway.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I disagree. I think playing on a muddy bog levels the playing field. A bit like Barca trying to play tiki taka on a mud bath.
Not sure I agree with that.

Better players will elevate themselves in poor conditions. Lower HC players who can hit the ball further and make better contact on soft ground are surely better off than the higher HC players? Unless the low player has a vanity HC!