When To Play 1st Comp Of The Season

Teebs

Visit site
Early April for us. As a lower handicap, I think we have advantages when the course is wet and playing longer. PCC should adjust accordingly so not too much to worry about.

Balls are still plugging, but greens are looking ok and will be fairly quick after a decent cut.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is the first winter in twenty years during which we haven’t had a single qualifier, because we have been playing lift, clean and drop in the rough since November.

First qualifier should have been today but winter rules have been extended, so it’s now next weekend.

So, why did your club not use the local rule "lift, clean and replace" which allows rounds to be "qualifiers"?

Why would winter rules have to be extended? The standard period for winter rules goes on to 30th April.

Burnsey

Visit site
Not missed this year, as there's about 30 of us play a (none qualifying) Winter comp, the last match a couple of weeks ago was followed the week after with the first comp. Course is in great nick though with two days closed in the last 12 months.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Our 1st Medal was scheduled for next Sunday - no way is that happening - so the winter league final which should have been today has been pushed back a week and will fill the slot. The medal will pick up a free weekend later in the year.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
So, why did your club not use the local rule "lift, clean and replace" which allows rounds to be "qualifiers"?

Why would winter rules have to be extended? The standard period for winter rules goes on to 30th April.

You’d have to ask them. They opted to have lift, clean and drop in the rough and declared all winter comps non qualifying as a consequence.

And because of the continued rain they’ve extended that one element. The option to lift, clean and place on fairways and closely mowed areas will continue as usual beyond any decision to play it as it lies in the rough.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
25th March. Individual county seniors comp. Not sure if it will be handicap qualifying.

Wed 3rd April. First of our weekly weekday medals that run through to end of Sept.

Last edited:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have ‘fun’ team comps throughout the winter which I enjoy. There’s the odd singles stableford thrown in, but, they’re mostly over 12 holes and always non qualifying. Qualifiers usually start end April.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Next weekend is supposed to be our first inter club match at home in the KO cup. With the state of the course at the moment I can’t see that happening.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We runs comps all year round including an Open Knockout which finishes in April and club winter knockouts.

All the weather does it to decide if these are qualifying or non qualifying according to the number of temps.

Our first club trophy comp is on the first Saturday in March but the seniors have some in winter.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
We generally do not have any medal comps till at least the end of April, the season usually starts off with scrambles, 4BBB and other pairs or team events, it seems to introduce new members into the club well and as we are in East Lancashire the wet course conditions are not that unusual.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Spare a thought for those of us that don't get any off season break to recharge and reflect
12 months full on comps, no break

Fore Right

Visit site
Were on Compulsory Mats so no counting comps till opening medal.
And 5 holes have been shut since October.
No way to have any qualifying comps through this time.

Right now with the heavy tined greens you cant expect to hole a putt outside of 5 feet, its a lottery jumping and bouncing all over the place.
Im not putting my low hcap on the line till the greens are at least half decent which right now looks like late April at the earliest.

D-S

Visit site

Right now with the heavy tined greens you cant expect to hole a putt outside of 5 feet, its a lottery jumping and bouncing all over the place.
Im not putting my low hcap on the line till the greens are at least half decent which right now looks like late April at the earliest.
That’s not the way EG see it. They expect you to continue to put cards in (if criteria are met of course) and you will in all likelihood go up a few shots - if courses were rated in winter with the ball flying not as far, no roll, bobbly greens, muddy lies etc. they would be about 2 or 3 shots higher.
For example our 67.6 rated short winter course plays nearly as difficult (due to these factors) as our 71.6 rated course summer course as scores throughout the winter show.
So play your normal game and you will go up.
Unfortunately some puts cards in, some don’t - so we have a two tier system come the real season.
I’m not sure who is right but the consequence is a unlevel playing field in May.

Viewer

Visit site

But if you did you might get a handicap you could play to?

Bobthesock

Visit site

A low handicap player would be able to adjust to the conditions. Even if Thier handicap went up a bit they would be good enough to bring it back down?
As a 6 handicap I'd love to have a go and at worst go up to 7 or 8