Players decide to play 9 hole Comp rather than 18 hole during the round.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have a weekly Qualifying Comp. 18 and 9 holes Stableford. One group were due to play 18 holes yesterday and were on the 11th hole when thunder started. They left the Course and submitted cards for the 9 hole Comp. Irrelevant to me as I was not playing in The Comp. and they could not have played 18 as the course was closed later due to inclement weather.

Is this allowed please?

Would it have made any difference if they had only played 9 holes?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Check Rule 3.2 for the procedure.
Assuming the reason for non-completion of the round is valid (and it would seem to be) the score should be scaled up to 18 holes. Add net stableford points (less one point for the first hole not played) for the rest of the holes.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Check Rule 3.2 for the procedure.
Assuming the reason for non-completion of the round is valid (and it would seem to be) the score should be scaled up to 18 holes. Add net stableford points (less one point for the first hole not played) for the rest of the holes.
Thanks RF. I have looked at Rule 3.2 but that is in The Rules of Golf so probably wrong place. However they probably did not know about the rule you referred to.

However my question was after playing 10 holes are they allowed to change their minds and enter the 9 hole Comp as opposed to what you said which I am sure is the correct answer.

wjemather

Visit site
Rulefan's reply relates to handicapping.

With regards to the competition side of it, it would all depend on the terms of competition; both with regards to what action the committee takes when the course is closed, and whether players can elect to abandon the 18-hole competition and drop into the 9-hole competition after starting their round.

My feeling is that it would not normally be permitted. That being said, I am aware of a similar provision in some medal comps that allows players to fall-back into a consolation Stableford comp before a certain number of holes have been completed.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's the opposite at our course, if you enter the 9 hole stableford comp you're not allowed to play 18 holes .
Our measured 9 hole course is within the 18 hole course, made up of holes 1 to 8 and the 15th.
If you play 18 holes it would be deemed as practicing on the course and would be DQ .
We are allowed to play holes 16,17 and 18 as the comp finished at the 15th.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks RF. I have looked at Rule 3.2 but that is in The Rules of Golf so probably wrong place. However they probably did not know about the rule you referred to.

However my question was after playing 10 holes are they allowed to change their minds and enter the 9 hole Comp as opposed to what you said which I am sure is the correct answer.
3.2 is in the Rules of Handicapping. https://www.congu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/WHSDocs/WHS-Rules-of-Handicapping.pdf
IMO though, if you have started one competition you can't then enter a different competition. Particularly as the rule makes provision for not being able to finish the one you are actually playing.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Rulefan's reply relates to handicapping.

With regards to the competition side of it, it would all depend on the terms of competition; both with regards to what action the committee takes when the course is closed, and whether players can elect to abandon the 18-hole competition and drop into the 9-hole competition after starting their round.

My feeling is that it would not normally be permitted. That being said, I am aware of a similar provision in some medal comps that allows players to fall-back into a consolation Stableford comp before a certain number of holes have been completed.
Thanks for your reply. I doubt, almost certain, whether anybody would know that they changed from 18 to 9 holes. Both highly respected and the only reason I knew was because we were behind them and saw their scores entered on EG. One score has now been entered in it is one of his best 8.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I doubt, almost certain, whether anybody would know that they changed from 18 to 9 holes. Both highly respected and the only reason I knew was because we were behind them and saw their scores entered on EG. One score has now been entered in it is one of his best 8.
Had they not 'registered' their entry before they started to play?
Does it show as a 9 hole competition score or 18 holes?

Perhaps they or the h'cap sec are not aware of the rule. As they had completed the minimum number of holes (ie10), they must use the table in rule 3.2.

Last edited: