New Competition "rule" to reduce the impact of "new handicaps"

Swango1980

Visit site
I am not a fan of WHS but totally disagree with clubs putting a stipulation of number of scores in a time frame.

If you have a handicap it's active and relevant, putting a number of scores as a requirement for entry is the clubs attempt to exclude certain members who they believe have a better chance of winning.
Although at the WHS workshop from England Golf, they advised Committees to put conditions of entry on to their competitions, and it was up to them to decide what these were. This was generally responding to the fact that there was no "3 cards per year" condition to keep "c" status, as existed previously.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am not a fan of WHS but totally disagree with clubs putting a stipulation of number of scores in a time frame.

If you have a handicap it's active and relevant, putting a number of scores as a requirement for entry is the clubs attempt to exclude certain members who they believe have a better chance of winning.
I agree entirely with your comments SP. The reason The Club stipulated 12 was because there were many new members who may have played before elsewhere and not been entirely honest with their previous playing ability, having played quite a few years’ ago. They knew the system, received an inflated handicap, won Competitions. End of story

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I understand the sentiment, but think it probably an insignificant tweaking at the edges really, and not worth doing. How often is one likely to win a competition anyway, maybe once every decade ? Does knobbling a few new to golf or returnees to golf change the overall odds very much ? I dont think so.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I find this interesting . It must e difficult to get it fair for everyone: however I do think some chaps are quick to (seriously) call "bandit" when someone scores very well?.
It happened to me. I returned after ten years when I had been 13.
I was given 16. I didn't enter many comps. But in one I got 19 points.!
WHS came along and gave me 23 index.
Still,practising etc and then in a comp I won with 45points!
That was somewhat embarrassing. I just played well that day.
(Haven't been near it since)
I am the sort of high handicap (presently 18) who hits reasonably well but goes off piste too often. After 2 years on my course, I have parred every hole at some time, but clearly not all in the same round?
The point is, theoretically, if I played very very well one day, I could murder the course with my handicap .
There must be many like me, so "bandits " will make regular appearances.

Personally, I think the answer should be that if you have had a club handicap, then you keep that. If you have a break from the game, so what?
When you return, you play that handicap. If you were 9 but playing now to 20, then you may get back to 9, you may not. It's up to you.
This way, only yourself is affected (or not). There won't be any justifiable accusations of "bandit" and no bad feelings or mutterings.

wjemather

Visit site
Personally, I think the answer should be that if you have had a club handicap, then you keep that. If you have a break from the game, so what?
When you return, you play that handicap. If you were 9 but playing now to 20, then you may get back to 9, you may not. It's up to you.
This way, only yourself is affected (or not). There won't be any justifiable accusations of "bandit" and no bad feelings or mutterings.
This is exactly how WHS works, with the handicap committee able to apply adjustments if they deem it necessary.