Jacket & Tie

D

Deleted member 1147

This is one reason why I never attempted to join a private club. I'm seriously asthmatic and can't bear to wear a tie.
It's another barrier they put up to keep out undesirables.
On the other hand I had no trouble in joining a local municipal course in the 1990's.

So am I, but I'll be wearing my club tie after the club v county match on Sunday.

Wearing the tie isn't my biggest issue, it's whether or not I actually manage 18 holes without hurling I'm concerned about :eek:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Interview might be the wrong name for it.

It's a chance for you to ask them what the club can offer you too. It's a two way street.

Unless it's one of those fancy clubs that are a nightmare to get into. Then it's a interview. Sit up straight. Haha

I had an 'Interview' for one of the local courses in Liverpool. It was a really just a meeting with one of the top brass to chat about the club, what I play off and explain when the comps were on. Don't sweat it.

Wear a jacket and tie might be a nice way of saying please don't turn up in a tracksuit. Their specific dress code can be discussed with you at the meeting.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Is it really that horrendous to wear a jacket and tie for a small amount of time. You are not being asked to play a round golf golf in a jacket and tie. I really can't understand the problem some of you men have with it:rolleyes:
exactley, try playing around Rye in 28 deg wearing a jacket and tie not to forget lined tweed plus fours:ROFLMAO:

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lady-Margaret-Scott.jpg

Or like this.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That is an incredibly subjective view. Not sure it does golf any favours either.

Did you read all of my post or just quote the part that suited you?

It’s funny as I discussed this with our head pro today. He’s exact words were “ we are a forward thinking club that’s has to appreciate the current economical climate. A potential new member is actually interviewing us as much as us interviewing them. Disposable income is becoming harder to obtain and we need to appreciate those who choose to spend it with us as the larger percentage of clubs in the uk are struggling financially “

While I 100% back his attitude and love how laid back my club is, the fact remains that the OP’s club is in a position where it has to be financially solid with a good core membership and although a little prehistoric you cannot resent them for this.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

It’s funny as I discussed this with our head pro today. He’s exact words were “ we are a forward thinking club that’s has to appreciate the current economical climate. A potential new member is actually interviewing us as much as us interviewing them. Disposable income is becoming harder to obtain and we need to appreciate those who choose to spend it with us as the larger percentage of clubs in the uk are struggling financially “

While I 100% back his attitude and love how laid back my club is, the fact remains that the OP’s club is in a position where it has to be financially solid with a good core membership and although a little prehistoric you cannot resent them for this.
I did but that phrase stood out. Bringing class or the idea of class into it seemed odd. Absolutely fine with the rest of your post 👍

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it really that horrendous to wear a jacket and tie for a small amount of time. You are not being asked to play a round golf golf in a jacket and tie. I really can't understand the problem some of you men have with it:rolleyes:
Yes, ties are uncomfortable and rarely worn out of choice by most men. Who wants to have to wear an item of clothing by force not choice?

You may well gave posted this in jest and I've bitten nicely but honestly i detest ties. Weddings and funerals are the only time i wear one now and even then it comes off as soon as is socially acceptable.

Out of interest, at an interview for ladies golf clubs, equivalent to this one, are women asked to wear particular clothing? Genuine question. The club's near me don't require interviews so I don't have a reference.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Did you have a dictaphone?! 😂

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, ties are uncomfortable and rarely worn out of choice by most men. Who wants to have to wear an item of clothing by force not choice?

You may well gave posted this in jest and I've bitten nicely but honestly i detest ties. Weddings and funerals are the only time i wear one now and even then it comes off as soon as is socially acceptable.

Out of interest, at an interview for ladies golf clubs, equivalent to this one, are women asked to wear particular clothing? Genuine question. The club's near me don't require interviews so I don't have a reference.

I didn't post in jest.

I really can't see the problem with wearing a tie for a short amount of time. HID had to wear a jacket and tie for the interview at ours. Only other time he will wear that is at weddings and funerals. My normal attire is jeans, tshirts and trainers and I wore a dress, tights and heels. Try wearing tights and heels then you'll know what uncomfortable is.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didn't post in jest.

I really can't see the problem with wearing a tie for a short amount of time. HID had to wear a jacket and tie for the interview at ours. Only other time he will wear that is at weddings and funerals. My normal attire is jeans, tshirts and trainers and I wore a dress, tights and heels. Try wearing tights and heels then you'll know what uncomfortable is.
You didn't wear that outfit to your golf club interview though did you? Even for the wedding it was your choice to wear heels, you could have worn flats. Heels are your perception of smart, your choice.

You don't see the problem but I go to golf for fun and feeling uncomfortable is not fun.I find a buttoned up shirt digs into my neck and irritates. The option is to undo the top button and loosen my tie. That looks far worse than an open necked shirt. I haven't seen a tie at a customers in years, an open shirt is just as smart. Ties are outdated and the perception of smartness is generational and thankfully disappearing.

At a previous clubs committee meeting we were pretty much all new members. After meeting 2 one person asked if we could stop wearing ties as they disliked them. We all agreed, none of us did as it turned out, except 1 lady member. I suggested we all wear one if she did as well, the top button had to be done up though. The motion to drop ties was passed 🤔😁

D

Deleted Member 1156

Too many lame excuses on here. As stated, ties are only uncomfortable if your shirt is too small. Many of the most stylish and best dressed men in the world are often seen in suits and ties, they are not outdated. People are all too happy to drag standards down these days.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
You didn't wear that outfit to your golf club interview though did you? Even for the wedding it was your choice to wear heels, you could have worn flats. Heels are your perception of smart, your choice.

You don't see the problem but I go to golf for fun and feeling uncomfortable is not fun.I find a buttoned up shirt digs into my neck and irritates. The option is to undo the top button and loosen my tie. That looks far worse than an open necked shirt. I haven't seen a tie at a customers in years, an open shirt is just as smart. Ties are outdated and the perception of smartness is generational and thankfully disappearing.

At a previous clubs committee meeting we were pretty much all new members. After meeting 2 one person asked if we could stop wearing ties as they disliked them. We all agreed, none of us did as it turned out, except 1 lady member. I suggested we all wear one if she did as well, the top button had to be done up though. The motion to drop ties was passed 🤔😁

Yes. I'm not posting about going to a wedding. I'm posting about going to the interview at the golf club.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
To be fair I know I would never fit in at a private golf club because I'm a Compo type character.
Wellington boots, woolly hat, generally scruffy appearance.
What would also go against me is that I don't drink alcohol, so I wouldn't like the 19th.
Are you guys still required to take wine with the captain?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Depends how highly ranked the club is and how much you want in?

While it seems overkill, it also shows they are trying to uphold a certain level of class, it shows confidence in their brand and I bet if you do some digging around it will have a decent strong membership and in turn financial stability.

I would make the effort to pop up pre interview for a pint / coffee, they may be asking for a level of atire for an interview but you may find behind closed doors it’s very relaxed.

I love their approach and I’m only in my 30’s so far from stuck in the past

I always think your club is only as good as your worst member. The fact they are trying to keep/Mantain a standard and traditions would impress me. 👍

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site

i detest ties. Weddings and funerals are the only time i wear one now and even then it comes off as soon as is socially acceptable.

It is all about respect. I agree that collars and ties are uncomfortable, but you are prepared to wear one for a wedding or funeral yet wouldn't if asked to a formal interview? Sounds a bit like double standards to me.