Jacket & Tie

User20204

Visit site
Gives across of a bit of a stuffy / snobbish vibe (A reason why a lot of my friends around my age don't play golf is they view the people who play it as very stuffy) Hard to argue my corner when a club throws this request at me!

Now I find this a strange take on things. For me and folk I know don't think that's the case. Fact is most who take up golf are usually ex sportsman that don't/can't play their chosen sport now due to age/injury.

It seems it's either bowls or golf than men in their 30's take up after they have played football/rugby etc when they were younger, yet none that I know of who either play golf or bowls have ever been stuffy, that comes more from the early 70s and before.

JGolfer

Visit site
Now I find this a strange take on things. For me and folk I know don't think that's the case. Fact is most who take up golf are usually ex sportsman that don't/can't play their chosen sport now due to age/injury.

It seems it's either bowls or golf than men in their 30's take up after they have played football/rugby etc when they were younger, yet none that I know of who either play golf or bowls have ever been stuffy, that comes more from the early 70s and before.

I agree. I got into golf due to a shoulder injury and in a thread I made about gettijg inti golf injury seemed to be the most prevalent reason.

Two friends of mine who both just turned 30 so older than myself told me they wanted to get into golf because " that's what people over 30 do"

But when I try to explain to people all the reasons I love golf and why it's so enjoyable they always argue the same. It's old people sport, it's full of snobs, the people are stuck up etc.

Now sure I don't know what it's like around the country but that's the consensus I get from friends here in Liverpool / London.

Remember when trainer style golf shoes wernt around? Now they are, I think more needs to change in order to appeal to people. But that's just my 2 cents

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
We have an interview process if you can’t be have 2 people vouch for you. I have seen the odd person go in with jeans etc so I don’t think we have a dress code. One antiquated rule which annoys me is no hats in the clubhouse. I personally don’t wear a hat but when I hear members having a go at someone it annoys me. It’s a golf hat. They are generally young. All you old codgers having a coffee after your round and moaning about the rules is the main reason none of the juniors/younger members are going into the clubhouse for a drink etc

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I'm in my early 20s. When I originally spoke to them I asked about dress code for the clubhouse etc and they said jeans are what most wear and it's very casual. So it caught me abit off guard. I think I have some chinos I can throw in instead of the jeans.

The course is in Liverpool

Rich got it in one. Sometimes it's worth indulging the old farts in order to get in the door...... then it's a bit more relaxed.

But as you say. It puts off folk in their 20s. Must be a good course that isn't struggling for members!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not sure why this is even included in your post. I mention the outfit I'm wearing and it includes both a blazer and tie.

I have asked if they people think that is appropriate. You mention at the start it would be..Then seem to go entirely off topic.

But yes if they told me a blazer is not appropriate and i needed a formal jacket. I wouldn't bother attending since I'm not going to spend money on something I'd wear once then never wear again.
i doubt they would say a blazer isn't appropriate, as you state, jacket and tie is what they asked you to attend in. most golf things i go to that are J&T that is what ive worn and that includes Muirfield and the R&A.

Not sure what you mean by going off topic, everything i mentioned was about the dress code for interview.

If it was a great course that i wanted to join, i'd go dressed as a spice girl if thats what they asked for;)

As for is it appropriate to ask for a dress code for interview, its up to them if its a private members club and maybe that's how they choose new members. plenty of clubs do, not so much around here anymore.

like a said, if its a good course with a waiting list, people will do it its one evening, its not the end of the world

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
a few points about this. A lot of clubs still have an 'interview' but really this is more of an introduction to the club. Show you around and tell you how to book a tee time, where to practice, where to leave your clubs, how to enter competitions etc.

But if they have stipulated Jacket & Tie, the interview may be that bit extra, in terms of assessing if they will accept you as a member.

At the end of the day, it's their club and they can stipulate what they want, but as the OP has already indicated - it is one additional barrier to getting more people involved in the club. The fact that the OP has had to come on here and ask people about the dress code confirms that he probably doesn't know anyone at the club and so the club are accepting applications from people not known to the club - therefore aren't exactly sitting at full membership.

D

Deleted member 1147

Don't wear jeans with your jacket & tie - unless you want to look like a young Jeremy Clarkson (and I doubt Jezza wanted to look like that when he was young)!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Rich got it in one. Sometimes it's worth indulging the old farts in order to get in the door...... then it's a bit more relaxed.

But as you say. It puts off folk in their 20s. Must be a good course that isn't struggling for members!

That's fine if the standard is consistent i.e if you stand on the first tee in shoes you haven't cleaned or a polo-shirt you wore last week and left in your locker or your cap hasn't seen a washing machine in months... you're not playing!

No point in being spit and polished for an interview and then being allowed to be a slob on the course (when you actually represent your club and interact with other members)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We have an interview process if you can’t be have 2 people vouch for you. I have seen the odd person go in with jeans etc so I don’t think we have a dress code. One antiquated rule which annoys me is no hats in the clubhouse. I personally don’t wear a hat but when I hear members having a go at someone it annoys me. It’s a golf hat. They are generally young. All you old codgers having a coffee after your round and moaning about the rules is the main reason none of the juniors/younger members are going into the clubhouse for a drink etc

I always think wearing a hat anywhere indoors is just naff.
My SiL is an hotelier and has a strict 'no hat' rule in the bar and dining room.
He politely asked a young guy to remove his, and a couple of weeks later found out it was Olly Murs. :LOL:.
The local who was with Olly said that he loved the place and he has been back since.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

perception is more important than reality, especially when it comes to encouraging people to hand over good money for a game or a membership.

It could be fairly daunting for someone who hasn't played at a members club and doesn't know anyone even if they have played at a range or municipal.

Might seem strange if you have been part of that for years, but there are loads of wee things you take for granted that no one tells you - where to park, what door to go in, what to wear, what not to wear, will you look like a fool if you carry your clubs and everyone else is using a trolley, will everyone think your clubs are rubbish, will everyone want to make bets I can't afford, will everyone buy an expensive lunch after that I can't afford / don't want.

Again, you might think someone is being a bit fragile by being worried about things like this and of course at most places, even if someone deviates from what the done thing is, it's no big deal. But a youngster, keen to play more golf doesn't know that.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The hat indoors issue is one that crops up every so often on this forum. It is a generational thing and the objections will disappear over time as the older generations simply die. It is bad manners to people over a certain age, those under that age don't see it that way, couldn't give a monkeys about hats indoors. That rule will reduce and disappear in the same way that jacket and ties are now a rare requirement whereas once they were default.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
If a club want me to wear jacket and tie I will wear one.

If a club wants me to play in knee length socks with shorts they can Foxtrot Oscar.

We all have limits and ideas of what is right, wrong or correct. Wear what you feel comfortable in and if you are knocked back you have either not made the correct impression or you have potentially saved yourself a life of golfing at a course full of stuffy old farts!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If your from Liverpool, a shell suit should suffice.

Joking aside, I would do it, if that meant tarting up for the day/ interview then do it. If the course is good enough it will be worth it. You mention only wearing the blazer jacket once. It will get more uses once you are a member there.

Good luck with it and welcome to the football thread as well 😁

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hope the ‘interview’ goes well. Please be good enough to let us know how it went and the outcome?

How much are fees at the club involved please?

Tashyboy

Visit site
perception is more important than reality, especially when it comes to encouraging people to hand over good money for a game or a membership.

It could be fairly daunting for someone who hasn't played at a members club and doesn't know anyone even if they have played at a range or municipal.

Might seem strange if you have been part of that for years, but there are loads of wee things you take for granted that no one tells you - where to park, what door to go in, what to wear, what not to wear, will you look like a fool if you carry your clubs and everyone else is using a trolley, will everyone think your clubs are rubbish, will everyone want to make bets I can't afford, will everyone buy an expensive lunch after that I can't afford / don't want.

Again, you might think someone is being a bit fragile by being worried about things like this and of course at most places, even if someone deviates from what the done thing is, it's no big deal. But a youngster, keen to play more golf doesn't know that.

Good post Grant me man and I can see a few of those points are what puts people off playing the game. 👍

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm actually surprised you don't own a suit! Mind you I shouldn't judge. However, if you do want to join this club then embrace their rules and customs and turn up in a jacket and tie. It seems to me as if it isn't for you and I'd look at another club.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'm actually surprised you don't own a suit! Mind you I shouldn't judge. However, if you do want to join this club then embrace their rules and customs and turn up in a jacket and tie. It seems to me as if it isn't for you and I'd look at another club.

After wearing a suit/tie everyday for lots of years if I had to turn up tomorrow suited and booted I couldn't
No suit, no jacket, no tie even

Tashyboy

Visit site
Slab. Just trying to picture you in a shirt tie jacket Bermuda shorts and flip flops at work 😂

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Our "interview" is just an introduction and familiarisation with the club as Grant has said. Make sure they're comfortable, show them where everything is, see if we need to introduce them to any groups, explain tee times, general rules, etc.
We don't stipulate what to wear for the interview and have had people turn up from suit and tie down to jeans and polo shirt. We didn't judge.

FAB90

Visit site
I have just recently joined a club and had to go for an interview although It turned out to be just a chat about the club and other bits of information! Was told to dress smart casual so pair of chinos and a shirt was fine!