Should "ordinary" people be allowed to play golf?

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
leggings would make more sense i guess,

i must admit i can't rember exactly what happened, the first time i went on a hot summers with quite smart shorts and socks i thought, i got sent back home and changed into my trousers.

my friend got sent back the other week for wearing too sporty shoes into the bar.

D

Deleted member 1147

It is more like a trap for me. I don't agree with the view that it is total rubbish. I agree with a lot of it. I have done a slight re-write above to illustrate that it isn't necessarily the stuffy nonsense that you intend. In fact it reads like a good description of why I resigned from Devils Dyke GC in Sussex.

Your re-write is similar to my feelings from my old club, Kedleston Park GC, it was mainly a good old club but then some undesirables with a little too much cash to spend made it less attractive.

My new club on the otherhand is known as a friendly, open club with quite a few tradesmen and farmers as members along side the usual "professionals" and the on course behaviour is generally much better.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sadly there are still a few clubs around that think like that. I have to be honest though all the clubs I've visited, certainly over the last ten years have been more than welcoming to the visiting golfer. I guess to a degree we're back to abiding by their dress codes as a visitor or don't play the course. If you sign up to become a member then of course you are signing up to adhere to the code.

Mick47

Head Pro
Visit site
Sir I read to the halfway point of your letter, no reason to read any further and I must say that I find myself in total accord . Both here and at my club I find myself unable to move for used car salesmen ,tradespersons and peddlers of golfing aids. Damned lot of em should be horse whipped. I blame the labour government for giving the lower classes ideas above their station. If I had my way the welfare state would be abolished, the coal mines would be re-opened and national service re-introduced, a couple of years fighting Jonny foreigner followed by gainfull employment somewhere in the bowels of the earth would make the beggers happier and what is more, it would make men of em -pink shirts and electric golf carts - Indeed Sir, the world truely has gone mad.
I remain respectfuly yours

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jeans and commoners on the course,i think not.If i had the displeasure of seeing any such a thing,i'd have my man servant thrash them within an inch of there lives before handing me my mashie. :D

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I can see why Bratty after playing your place last week with Oddsocks and Scott!
A couple of young yobo's!!

Chris
Good Lord, you're right, Chris! A real pair of ne'er do wells!!!

The next time they set foot on the hallowed turf of Westerham, it'll be a birching and the stocks for them! ;)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Good Lord, you're right, Chris! A real pair of ne'er do wells!!!

The next time they set foot on the hallowed turf of Westerham, it'll be a birching and the stocks for them! ;)

Eminently sensible suggestion Bratty, I am sure that a round with a, soon to be Captain, would have been so much more of my style and, who knows, priority on the tee maybe?

Chris

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Robert, I am in complete accordance with your confibulations and I must hereupon make addence to your musings.

Only last week did I arrive at my golfing mecca of Royal Redlibbets golf and country club on Thames to see an abhoration the like of which hasn't been seen since the Lady Rothschild Beniface the third dared to show off an ankle at the St George's lido!!! What was this abhoration? None other than a BMW 735i parked in the car park!!! Who would dare drive such drivel???

I had Jeeves thrash the incumbent!

I am still in a state of discombobulation.

Yours,

Earl Auburn of Warriorness.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I was prepared to post "Thank feck you are not the Pro at my place,you'd be out on your ear with an attitude like that".......then I got to the end!

What was the point of the thread again?!;)

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Eminently sensible suggestion Bratty, I am sure that a round with a, soon to be Captain, would have been so much more of my style and, who knows, priority on the tee maybe?

Chris

Word's got round then? :eek:

I had to decline the offer, as I just couldn't spend the time I would want to allocate at present. Maybe in a few years' time though.

And you'll be first on my priority tee-time list, Chris! ;)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Word's got round then? :eek:

I had to decline the offer, as I just couldn't spend the time I would want to allocate at present. Maybe in a few years' time though.

And you'll be first on my priority tee-time list, Chris! ;)

I overheard a conversation from a club owners open Bentley window!

Only first Bratty mmmm thought it would be better than that!

Chris

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We had to blackball old Tarquin Norbington-Hackett last week, the blighter was caught cleaning his own shoes with that confounded air blowing contraption, I mean what are caddies there for. It's off the the Artisans clubhouse for him now.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Sir I read to the halfway point of your letter, no reason to read any further and I must say that I find myself in total accord . Both here and at my club I find myself unable to move for used car salesmen ,tradespersons and peddlers of golfing aids. Damned lot of em should be horse whipped. I blame the labour government for giving the lower classes ideas above their station. If I had my way the welfare state would be abolished, the coal mines would be re-opened and national service re-introduced, a couple of years fighting Jonny foreigner followed by gainfull employment somewhere in the bowels of the earth would make the beggers happier and what is more, it would make men of em -pink shirts and electric golf carts - Indeed Sir, the world truely has gone mad.
I remain respectfuly yours

Spiffing synopsis old chap. I nearly dropped my monocle reading some of the bolshevic claptrap written by these commoners.