Should "ordinary" people be allowed to play golf?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Back in the olden days, golf was for the priveledged rich.
No "ordinary" people or women were allowed.
In those days, golfers knew how to behave, dress, speak and respect the committee, Captain and elders in general.
Professionals were only allowed in the clubhouse via the back door and certainly weren't allowed to fraternise with the members.
Golf clubs had a dress code that they were proud of and was strictly adhered to by the members and that meant Jacket and tie in the clubhouse at all times.

Then it went wrong.

The "ordinary" people were allowed to play golf and even the wummin.

Gone were the days when a chap could be proud of his club tie and membership of a golf club was something to be admired and even envied. Your membership opened doors both in social circles and in business where a chap knew where he stood.

Now it's a nightmare.
Women, children and youths charging around the cluhouse causing trouble and crawling around the course dressed in all sorts of shell suits and cargo pants (whatever they are) and holding up the important members...the gentlemen of the club.
We now have car salesmen, builders and general tradesmen joining our clubs, lowering the tone and disrupting the honourary members everywhere you turn.

I have almost reached the point where enough is enough.
I think it's time to call it a day and reluctantly resign from the golf club I was once proud to call my self a member of which was once a bastion of good manners, etiquette and decorum where a proper gentleman could go and be with others of his class, importance and standing... well away from the "ordinary" people.
So, farewell to the youths, yobs, children and yes, even women and thank you for ruining the last place an important chap could go and relax amongst his fellow friends.

Still reading?
Obviously, all the stuff above is total rubbish and I don't agree with any of it.
I just wanted to know how many people (if any) get half way through the post and rattle off a reply without reading all of it (including this bit).
So basically, it's a trap for Smiffy :)

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
but there are clubs like that!
Long may they survive for the golfers the rest of us don't want to mix with can go :whoo:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
In those days, golfers knew how to behave, dress, speak and respect the committee, Captain and elders in general.
Professionals were only allowed in the clubhouse via the back door and certainly weren't allowed to fraternise with the members.
Golf clubs had a dress code that they were proud of and was strictly adhered to by the members and that meant Jacket and tie in the clubhouse at all times.

Then it went wrong.

That may well be the case where you are, but up here in Scotland golf has always been the sport of the Common Man. With only a few exceptions, all Clubs are welcoming no matter what your social background is. Admittedly there are certain rules regarding dress code etc, but as a whole common sense prevails.
Incidentally the only two clubhouses where I have seen gents wearing jeans are Gleneagles and St Andrews.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
That may well be the case where you are, but up here in Scotland golf has always been the sport of the Common Man. With only a few exceptions, all Clubs are welcoming no matter what your social background is. Admittedly there are certain rules regarding dress code etc, but as a whole common sense prevails.
Incidentally the only two clubhouses where I have seen gents wearing jeans are Gleneagles and St Andrews.

jeans and clubhouse, nearly spat my pimms out there!

D

Deleted member 1147

They even let them on golf forums nowadays.

By butler & I are disgusted.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
my club is a bit like to be honest, ordinary people are allowed but not really welcome by many members if that makes sense, dress code is very strict, i think im correct in saying if you wear shorts socks have to be above the knee etc

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Bob's theory is spot on. When I was at journalism school, we read a bunch of research on how much of a newspaper story people actually read. Basically, it's the headline and intro. That's it. You're lucky if 2% of people read the last paragraph.

We also learned about plagiarism. Bob, you have ripped off Snelly's entire persona in your post. :D

S

Snelly

Back in the olden days, golf club membership was considered a privilege.

No "ordinary" people or women were allowed and the game was just for those who knew how to behave, dress, speak and respect the committee, Captain and elders in general. Professionals were professional.

Then it went wrong. Gone were the days when a chap could be proud of his club tie and membership of a golf club was something to be admired and even envied. Your membership opened doors both in social circles and in business where a chap knew where he stood.

Now it's a nightmare. At many clubs, those with no respect for the heritage and tradition of the game, charge around the cluhouse causing trouble and crawling around the course dressed in all sorts of shell suits and cargo pants (whatever they are) and generally being a niusance to the ladies gentlemen of the club.
Almost every club now has an undesirable element that persistently breaks the rules, lowers the tone and disrupts the rest of the membership everywhere you turn.

I have almost reached the point where enough is enough.

I think it's time to call it a day and reluctantly resign from the golf club I was once proud to call myself a member of which was once a bastion of good manners, etiquette and decorum where a proper gentleman (or lady of course) could go and be with like minded company.

So, farewell to the idiots and thank you for ruining the last place that people could go and relax amongst their fellow friends.

Still reading? Not quite as daft now in my view and I didn't change much...... :)

It is more like a trap for me. I don't agree with the view that it is total rubbish. I agree with a lot of it. I have done a slight re-write above to illustrate that it isn't necessarily the stuffy nonsense that you intend. In fact it reads like a good description of why I resigned from Devils Dyke GC in Sussex.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
i think im correct in saying if you wear shorts socks have to be above the knee etc

erm that would be leggings and although quite sexy on a female it's not to be encouraged on golfers.

More likely below the knee and the shorts have to be just above the knee..........thats the rule at Glasgow golf club which I only found out when I arrived on a hot summers day in tiny shorts and ankle sox:rofl: many many years ago