proprietary Golf clubs, AGM engagement

RichA

Visit site
Pointless attending ours - our owner never listens to the members and just do their own thing with the place. Committee is mainly irrelevant, they have little to no control over anything at the club.

Cheapest golf for miles though and you get what you pay for.
Likewise. I feel more like a customer with a golf subscription than a member of a club. The committee for the golfers doesn't seem to have any influence on the owner's running of the clubhouse or management of the course.
I can't imagine anything worse than being on the committee myself, so I largely keep my trap shut and remind myself that it's the cheapest gig in the area and it's always easy to get a tee time.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The comments about AGMs at proprietary clubs make me very grateful and fortunate that I am member of a members club, and determined that any club I might join in the future will be same. We’re a club which, into the bargain, has a committee of respected members with another couple to be voted into vacancies at our AGM next month. And there will likely be 65-75 members present.

That is not to say all is hunky-dory at the club, with no issues of concern or concerns about the approach the committee is taking on some matters - but I for one trust that the members of the committee, and our board, have the club and members best interests at heart.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So just to check, you are happy with the way your club is run? Just wanted to confirm, because you have never mentioned it before :D
I can feel ok or good about it, as much as anything because I get fed up with ungrateful whinging (about the greenkeepers and volunteers on the committee do) about this that and the other from some, and I am grateful for what I am able to enjoy. There are issue and concerns…but everything is relative.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pointless attending ours - our owner never listens to the members and just do their own thing with the place. Committee is mainly irrelevant, they have little to no control over anything at the club.

Cheapest golf for miles though and you get what you pay for.
Likewise. I feel more like a customer with a golf subscription than a member of a club. The committee for the golfers doesn't seem to have any influence on the owner's running of the clubhouse or management of the course.
I can't imagine anything worse than being on the committee myself, so I largely keep my trap shut and remind myself that it's the cheapest gig in the area and it's always easy to get a tee time.
We're also a proprietary Club, Wike Ridge GC playing on Leeds Golf Centre's Course which is owned by Parklane Properties & using Club House facilities that are franchised to Red-Kite Catering, so we don't really expect to have a massive influence on how each bit functions other than our own area. Yes, we're very much a 'customer' in all ways but as such are still very important to them all so do get listened to & in many cases rather more than those members at Private Clubs, judging from what I hear from many of their members who are often afraid of getting labeled a 'trouble maker'.
As it's the Club AGM where the 'volunteer' members present their Annual Reports so I have always made a point of attending as it's its an important & a simply polite way to acknowledge the very important work they do on behalf of, often, rather unappreciative members who expect to be listened to but, other than that, make very little contribution to Club life.
Sadly, golf can produce some very selfish attitudes.